Chapter 47: The Road to Recovery
After a week in the hospital, Mapaseka was finally strong enough to be discharged. The doctors had done their work—she was hydrated, nourished, and physically stable. But I knew the real battle was just beginning.
The emotional scars would take much longer to heal.
Relato arrived early that morning to take Mapaseka home. I watched as she helped the love of my life into the car, wrapping a blanket around her shoulders.
"I will take care of her," Relato promised. "She needs rest and peace."
I nodded, grateful for her. "Thank you, Relato. I will come as soon as I finish an urgent meeting."
I had a meeting I could not postpone. Mapaseka's company was still running, and her clients needed attention. Her assistant, Naledi, had called me in a panic.
"Qondanisa, Mr. Dlamini is here. He wants to finalise the contract. He is not happy about the delays."
"Give me an hour," I said. "I will be there."
I arrived at Mapaseka's office to find Naledi and Thulani, the data scientist I had helped hire, waiting for me. The client, Mr. Dlamini, sat across the table, his face tight with impatience.
"Mr. Qwabe," he said, "I have been waiting for weeks. Where is Mapaseka?"
"She has been unwell," I said smoothly. "But I am here to ensure everything is handled. Naledi and Thulani will present the analysis."
Thulani stepped forward, his voice calm and professional. He presented the data, explained the insights, and showed Mr. Dlamini how his business could benefit from our services.
I handled the negotiations, ensuring that everything Mapaseka had built would not fall apart in her absence.
By the end of the meeting, Mr. Dlamini was satisfied.
"Very well," he said, signing the contract. "I look forward to working with you."
After he left, I turned to Naledi and Thulani. "You did well. Keep things running. I will check in when I can."
"Will Mapaseka be okay?" Naledi asked quietly.
"She will be," I said. "She just needs time."
I drove to Mapaseka's house as fast as I could. When I arrived, Relato opened the door, her face full of worry.
"She has not spoken a word since we got here," Relato said. "She just sits and stares at the wall. She will not eat. She will not sleep."
My heart broke.
I walked into the bedroom and found Mapaseka sitting on the bed, her knees pulled up to her chest. She was staring blankly at the wall, her eyes hollow and empty.
"Mapaseka," I said softly, sitting beside her. "I am here. I am not going anywhere."
She did not respond. She did not look at me.
I reached for her hand, and she let me hold it, but she did not squeeze back. It was like holding the hand of a ghost.
"Please talk to me," I whispered. "Tell me what you need."
She said nothing.
Days passed. Mapaseka remained withdrawn, silent, lost in a world I could not reach.
Tshepo visited every day. He would sit with her, hold her hand, and talk to her, even though she did not respond.
"She was always the strong one," Tshepo said one afternoon, his voice thick with emotion. "I never thought I would see her like this."
"She will get through this," I said. "She just needs time and the right help."
I made a decision. I called a private therapist—a woman named Dr. Moloi who specialised in trauma recovery. She came to the house three times a week.
At first, Mapaseka refused to speak to her. She would sit in silence, staring at the wall.
But Dr. Moloi was patient. She did not push. She sat with Mapaseka in the silence, offering gentle words of encouragement.
"She is healing," Dr. Moloi told me after the second week. "It will take time, but she is starting to come back."
Two weeks passed before Mapaseka finally spoke.
I was sitting beside her on the bed, holding her hand, when I felt her squeeze back.
I looked up, my heart racing.
"Qondanisa..." she whispered, her voice hoarse from disuse.
"Yes?" I said, tears filling my eyes. "I am here. I am listening."
"Thank you... for saving me."
I pulled her into my arms, holding her tight. "I would do it again," I said. "A thousand times. I love you. I will always save you."
She cried then—deep, heaving sobs that shook her entire body. I held her through it all, letting her release the pain she had held inside for so long.
After she calmed down, she looked at me, her eyes clearer than they had been in weeks.
"Did they come?" she asked. "My parents?"
"Yes," I said. "I did not let them see you. I do not trust them."
She nodded slowly. "I do not want to see them. Not yet. Maybe not ever."
"They have been calling," I said. "Relato has been screening your calls. Your mother has left dozens of messages."
Mapaseka was quiet for a long moment. Then she shook her head.
"I am not ready," she said. "I do not know if I will ever be ready. They did this to me. They brought Lerumo into my life. They almost killed me."
"Then you do not have to talk to them," I said. "Not until you are ready. And if that day never comes, I will support you."
She looked at me, a small smile forming on her lips. "Thank you. For everything. For never giving up on me."
"I will never give up on you," I said. "You are my everything, Mapaseka. And I will spend the rest of my life proving that to you."
She leaned into me, and we sat together in the quiet, the first rays of hope beginning to shine through the darkness.
Comments
Post a Comment