Chapter 45: The Imposter
After everything we had been through, I thought we had finally found peace. My company was thriving, Qondanisa's workshop was running smoothly. Our relationship was stronger than ever.
I should have known it would not last.
My family had not given up. They had simply changed their strategy.
It started with a new client, a man named Lerumo. He walked into my office one afternoon, tall and handsome, with a confident smile that did not quite reach his eyes.
"Mapaseka Mkoena?" he said, extending his hand. "I have heard so much about you. I am Lerumo, I need your company's services."
I shook his hand, ignoring the uneasy feeling that crept up my spine. "Welcome. Please, sit."
He sat down, his eyes never leaving my face. "Please, call me Lerumo. We are going to be working closely together."
And so, we began working together. Lerumo was demanding—impossibly so. He wanted late nights, constant updates and my full attention at all hours.
But I did not give in. I kept things professional, always ensuring that Qondanisa knew where I was and who I was with.
Lerumo did not like that.
He started bringing me flowers. Every day a new bouquet would arrive at my office, roses, lilies, orchids. Beautiful, expensive, and unwanted.
I threw them in the dustbin.
He did not give up. He sent chocolates, I gave them to my staff. He sent expensive gifts, I returned them unopened.
"Mapaseka," he said one day, his voice smooth, "why do you push me away? I am just trying to show you how much I appreciate you."
"I appreciate the gesture," I said coldly, "but I am not interested. I have a boyfriend, I love him. Please stop."
His smile faltered, but he did not stop.
What I did not know was that Lerumo was not a real client. He had been sent by my family.
They had found him, a wealthy, charming Sotho man who could get close to me. Their plan was simple: make me fall for Lerumo, make me forget about Qondanisa.
But their plan backfired.
Lerumo became obsessed after his expensive gifts and charm failed to win me. Frustrated and rejected, he decided to force things instead.
One evening Lerumo called me. "Mapaseka, I need you to come to my office for a meeting. My employees will be there, we need to finalise the contract."
"I would prefer if you came to my office," I said. "My boardroom is perfectly adequate."
"Your boardroom is too small for this meeting," he insisted. "I have a large team. It will be better here."
I hesitated, something felt off.
But the contract was important, my company needed the business.
"Fine," I said reluctantly. "I will come. But my boyfriend will drive me."
Lerumo's voice tightened. "That is not necessary. I will send a car for you."
"I will drive myself," I said firmly.
When I arrived at the address Lerumo had given me, it was not an office building. It was a residential area. Beautiful, wealthy, but definitely not a business district.
My heart started pounding.
I pulled out my phone to call Qondanisa, but before I could dial, Lerumo appeared at my window.
"Mapaseka," he said, his voice calm. "You are here. Get out of the car."
I shook my head. "This is not an office, where are your employees?"
"They are inside," he said, his smile cold. "Come. I will show you."
I reached for my phone, but he grabbed my arm through the open window.
"Do not make this difficult," he said, his grip tight. "Get out of the car."
I screamed.
He opened the car door and dragged me out. I fought him—kicking, scratching, screaming—but he was too strong.
Three men appeared from inside the house. They grabbed me, their hands rough and unforgiving. They dragged me inside and locked me in a room.
The room was small and bare. A room with a bed, and a chair with no windows. The door was heavy and locked from the outside.
I pounded on the door, screaming for help.
No one came.
The first day, I refused to eat.
Lerumo came to the room, carrying a tray of food.
"You need to eat, Mapaseka," he said, his voice soft and creepy. "I do not want you to get sick."
I shouted . "I will not eat anything you give me! Let me go!"
He sighed. "You are still so stubborn. Why will you not just love me?”
I screamed. "I will never love you! I love Qondanisa! I will always love him!"
He slammed the tray down and walked out, slamming the door behind him.
The days blurred together.
Lerumo came to visit me every day. He would sit on the edge of the bed and talk to me—about himself, about his wealth, about how perfect we would be together.
He told me how my family had hired him to seduce me. How they had promised him money if he could make me fall for him.
"But I do not care about the money anymore," he said one day. "I only care about you. You are so beautiful, so strong and stubborn."
I turned my face away.
He reached out and touched my hair. I moved back.
"Your Zulu man," he said, his voice bitter. "What does he have that I do not?"
"He has my heart," I said. " And you will never have it."
He laughed, but it was hollow.
Later that night, I woke up to find him sitting on the chair, watching me sleep. He was holding something in his hands.
He picked up my underwear, brought it to his nose, and breathed in deeply, a sick smile spreading across his face.
I screamed, but he only laughed as he walked out of the room.
He never forced himself on me, but he came close. He would try to kiss me, and I would turn away. He would touch me, and I would push him off. He was creepy, obsessive, and terrifying.
For a whole week, I was trapped in that room.
I did not eat, I barely slept, I spent every moment praying that Qondanisa would find me.
I did not know how long I could survive.
Comments
Post a Comment