Advertisement

Chapter 44: Rebuilding Together

 



The morning after the attack, I woke up with a heavy heart. Qondanisa had called me late the night before to tell me what had happened. My family had sent hitmen to kill him. They had destroyed his workshop. They had tried to take his life.

I felt sick.

I drove to Albert Street in Johannesburg as fast as I could. When I arrived at the workshop, my heart broke. The place was in ruins. Windows were shattered. Walls were covered in bullet holes. Equipment was destroyed. Cars were damaged. The smell of smoke and burnt metal hung in the air.

Qondanisa was standing in the middle of the chaos, his shoulders slumped, his face dark with exhaustion and defeat.

"Qondanisa," I said softly, walking toward him.

He looked up and forced a smile. "Mapaseka. You did not have to come."

"Yes, I did," I said, wrapping my arms around him. "I am so sorry. This is all my family's doing."

He pulled back and looked at me. "It is not your fault. You did not send those men."

 I said, tears filling my eyes. “My family did this to you."


He wiped a tear from my cheek. "We will get through this, I will rebuild. I always do."

The days that followed were difficult. Qondanisa worked tirelessly, trying to clean up the mess on his workshop, but I could see that he was struggling. The damage was too extensive. The costs were too high.

I approached him one afternoon. He was standing in the middle of the workshop, staring at the destroyed equipment.

"Qondanisa, let me help you," I said gently.

He shook his head. "No, Mapaseka. I am a man. I am supposed to take care of you, not the other way around. I will figure this out on my own."

"But this is my family's doing," I insisted. "They destroyed your workshop because of me. Let me help fix it."

He turned to me, his jaw tight. "I said no. I do not need your money. I will find a way."

I felt my frustration rising. "Qondanisa, how are you going to repair all the customers' damaged cars? They will not wait for you. They will come demanding their vehicles, and the equipment is destroyed. How will you work without equipment?"

He was silent, his eyes dropping to the floor.

"You are a proud man," I continued, my voice softer now. "I know that. I love that about you. But pride should not stop you from accepting help when you need it. This is not about who is stronger or who provides for whom. This is about us. Together."


He looked at me, his eyes filled with conflict.

"Let me help you, Phakathwayo," I said, taking his hands. "Please. It is my family that did this. Let me make it right."

He was silent for a long moment. Then he sighed, the fight leaving his body.

"Okay," he said quietly. "Okay. I will accept your help. But only because I know you will not stop asking."

I smiled and hugged him. "That is the most sensible thing you have said all week."


I took out my savings and began to rebuild Qondanisa's workshop. The costs were staggering, equipment, windows,  tools, repairs for the damaged cars. But I did not hesitate. My family had caused this destruction. I would fix it.

Within a month, everything was back to normal. The workshop was even better than before. The customers' cars were repaired and returned. Qondanisa's business was thriving again.

But more importantly, we had peace.

My family had stopped bothering us. For the first time in months, we could breathe.

One evening, we sat on the balcony of Qondanisa's house in Midrand, watching the sunset. He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me close.


"Thank you, Mapaseka," he said softly. "I do not know what I would have done without you."

"You would have figured it out," I said. "You always do."

He shook his head. "No. I was lost. I was too proud to ask for help. But you... you saw through me. You pushed me and made me see reason."

I smiled. "That is what I am here for."

He kissed my forehead. "We have been through so much. Investigators, seduction, hitmen and destruction. But we survived and we are still standing."

"Because we are stronger together," I said.

He nodded. "Yes."

We sat in comfortable silence, watching the sky turn orange and pink. For the first time in a long time, there were no scandals, threats and drama.

There was just us.

We had not had time to bond properly. Our relationship had been filled with one crisis after another. But now, we finally had peace.

I looked at Qondanisa, the man I loved with all my heart. We had survived everything my family had thrown at us. And we were still standing.

"Qondanisa," I said softly.

"Yes?"


"I love you. More than anything."

He smiled, his eyes warm. "And I love you, Mapaseka. You are my rock, my strength and my everything."

We kissed, and the world melted away.

The month after rebuilding Qondanisa's workshop had been exhausting. While I had poured my savings into restoring his business, I had neglected my own. My company was drowning in work.

Clients were flooding in, projects were piling up, and I had no money to hire extra staff to help. I was working day and night, barely sleeping, barely eating. And worst of all, I barely had time for Qondanisa.

He would call, and I would be too busy to talk. He would ask to see me, and I would have to cancel. I could hear the frustration in his voice, but I could not do anything about it. My company was my responsibility, and I had to keep it afloat.

One evening, after another long day, I received a message from Qondanisa.

Qondanisa: I am coming to your office tomorrow. We need to talk.

I sighed. I knew he was unhappy. I knew our relationship was struggling. But I did not know what to do.


The next morning, Qondanisa walked into my office. He looked determined, his jaw set.

"Mapaseka, we need to talk," he said.

I looked up from my computer, exhausted. "Qondanisa, I am so busy. Can we do this later?"

"No," he said firmly. "We are doing this now. I cannot watch you destroy yourself like this. You are working yourself to death, and I barely see you anymore. Our relationship is suffering."

I felt tears prick my eyes. "I know. But I cannot afford to hire anyone. I am drowning in work, and I have no money to pay for help."

"Then I will help you," he said simply.

I blinked. "What?"

"I will work here with you. I asked Bongani to take over the workshop, and Sipho is at the gate for security. I will be here every day. That way, I can see you. We can be together."

I stared at him, speechless. "Qondanisa, you cannot just leave your workshop."

"Yes, I can," he said. "My workshop is running fine. You are not and I love you too much to watch you fall apart."

And so, Qondanisa began working at my company.


At first, he was lost. He was a mechanic, not an office worker. Spreadsheets and presentations were foreign to him. But he was determined.

"Show me how to help," he said. "Teach me what to do."

I showed him how to use Excel—how to enter data, create basic formulas, and make simple charts. I showed him how to build PowerPoint presentations for client meetings.

"Is there a faster way to do all this?" he asked one afternoon. "There is so much data and It takes forever."

I shook my head. "I wish there was, but I do not know any other tools."

Qondanisa did not give up.

That night, he stayed up until the early hours of the morning, searching online for solutions. He watched videos, read articles, and taught himself about new tools.

The next week, he came into my office, his face glowing with excitement.

"Mapaseka! I found a way to make everything faster!"

I looked up, surprised by his energy. "What are you talking about?"


"We can use Python and Power BI," he said, practically bouncing. "Python can clean and organise all the data in seconds. Power BI can create beautiful, interactive dashboards for presentations. We can save hours, maybe even days!"

I laughed. "Qondanisa, that is a brilliant idea. But who is going to learn all of that? We do not have time. Our clients need solutions now."

He looked at me, his eyes determined. "I will learn give me a chance."

And so, Qondanisa spent every night learning.

He taught himself Python, focusing on Pandas—a tool that could clean, organise, and analyse huge amounts of data in seconds. He learned how to write scripts that could take messy spreadsheets and turn them into clean, structured data.

Then he learned Power BI. He discovered how to create interactive dashboards—visual reports that could show trends, patterns, and insights at a glance.

Within a week he had told the financial officer to pay for the software tools

"Come, let me show you," he said one morning.

He sat me down at his computer and demonstrated.


"Watch this," he said. He took a messy spreadsheet with thousands of rows of client data. He ran a Python script using Pandas, and in seconds, the data was cleaned—sorted, filtered, and organised perfectly.

Then he imported the clean data into Power BI and created a stunning dashboard. Charts, and tables appeared, showing everything I needed to know about my clients at a glance.

My jaw dropped. "Qondanisa... this is incredible."

He smiled. "I am not done yet."

He created another dashboard—this one showed revenue trends, client satisfaction, and project timelines. It was beautiful and functional. And it had taken him minutes to build.

"How did you do this?" I asked, amazed.

"I am good at math," he said with a laugh. "And I am stubborn, I do not give up easily."

The impact on my company was immediate.

With Qondanisa's Python scripts, data entry and cleaning took minutes instead of hours. With his Power BI dashboards, client presentations became simple and professional. He even started automating reports, so I could see real-time updates on my projects and finances.

Within a few weeks, I had caught up on all my backlog. I was no longer drowning. I had time to breathe, to sleep, and most importantly, to spend time with Qondanisa.

Our relationship blossomed again.  We shared dinners, laughter, and were finally happy.

But Qondanisa knew his skills were needed elsewhere.

"Mapaseka," he said one evening, "I cannot be here forever. I have my own business to run."

I nodded, understanding. "I know. You have already done so much."

"You need to hire someone," he said. "A business analyst, or data scientist, an intern who can learn. Someone who can do what I have been doing."

"That makes sense," I said. "But I do not know how to find the right person."

Qondanisa took charge. He posted a job advertisement online, within days applications started pouring in.

He scheduled interviews and invited some of my senior employees to join him. He wanted them to be part of the hiring process, to help choose someone who would fit well with the team.


The interviews were thorough. Qondanisa asked technical questions, testing the candidates' knowledge of Python and Power BI. My employees asked about teamwork, communication, and problem-solving.

After a week of interviews, they found the perfect candidate.

A young man named Thulani, he had just completed his data science degree and was hungry for experience. He was sharp, eager, and had a natural talent for coding.

"He is perfect," Qondanisa said. “ He will learn quickly And I can train him to use the tools.”

I hired Thulani the next day.

Thulani started working immediately under Qondanisa's guidance, he learned the Python scripts and Power BI dashboards quickly. 

Within a month he was running the data analysis on his own, freeing Qondanisa to return to his workshop.

But more importantly he freed me. I could focus on growing my business and confident that the data was in good hands.

I looked at Qondanisa one evening, my heart full.

"Thank you," I said. "For everything. You saved my company and  our relationship.”

He smiled, pulling me into his arms. "That is what love does, Mapaseka. It shows up. It fights for what matters."

I kissed him. "I love you, Qondanisa Qwabe."

"I love you too, Mapaseka Mkoena. Always."

Comments