Chapter 42: The Seduction That Failed
A few days had passed since Tshepo's visit. He had given me his blessing, and I felt like we were finally making progress. Mapaseka and I were stronger than ever. Her brother was on our side. I thought things were getting better.
I was wrong.
It started with a strange phone call. A man who claimed to be a journalist called my workshop, asking questions about my past, my business, my family. He was curious and too persistent. Thandi told me and we blocked that number.
I knew something was wrong.
I called Tshepo.
"Tshepo, someone is investigating me," I said. " Do you know anything about this?”
There was a pause. Then Tshepo sighed. "I was afraid of this. My father hired an investigator. He wants to find anything to use against you. He wants to prove you are not good enough for Mapaseka."
My blood ran cold. "An investigator?"
"Yes. He wants to dig up dirt on you. He is desperate, Qondanisa. He will do anything to break you and Mapaseka apart."
"But there is nothing to find," I said. "I have no secrets. I have nothing to hide."
"I know," Tshepo said. "But that will not stop him. He will keep trying."
I thanked Tshepo and hung up. My mind was racing. Her family was willing to go to any lengths to destroy us. They had hired an investigator to dig into my past.
But I had nothing to hide. They would find nothing.
It was a Tuesday afternoon when a woman walked into my workshop. She was beautiful—tall, with long hair and a confident smile. She wore a dress that was tight and too short—so short you could almost see her underwear. Her heels clicked loudly on the concrete floor.
I looked up from the engine I was working on. "Can I help you?"
She smiled, leaning against the doorframe. "Are you Qondanisa?"
"Yes. Who is asking?"
"My name is Slindile," she said, walking closer. "I have a problem with my car. I was told you are the best mechanic in town."
I wiped my hands on a rag. "What seems to be the problem?"
She hesitated, her eyes never leaving mine. "I do not know. It just does not feel right. Maybe you can take a look?"
Something about her made me uneasy. Her eyes were too calculating. She was not here for her car.
"Let me see it," I said, walking toward the door.
She followed me outside and pointed to a sleek red car. I opened the bonnet and began to inspect the engine.
"There is nothing wrong with this car," I said after a few minutes. "The engine is fine. Everything is fine."
"Oh," she said, stepping closer. "Maybe I just wanted an excuse to meet you."
I straightened up and looked at her. "What do you really want?"
She smiled, stepping even closer. "I have heard so much about you, Qondanisa. You are a hard worker. A good man and loyal."
"I am also a taken man," I said flatly. "I have a girlfriend. Her name is Mapaseka and I love her."
Slindile laughed softly. "I know. But a man like you... surely you want more? Someone more exciting? Someone who understands you?"
I stared at her, not moving. "I have everything I need and I do not appreciate games."
She reached out and touched my chest. "Who said anything about games?"
I stepped back, removing her hand from me. "You need to leave. Now."
She laughed again, stepping closer. "Come on, Qondanisa. Just a little fun. No one has to know."
I grabbed her wrist firmly but not violently. "Listen to me carefully. I know who sent you. I know everything. So let me make this clear—I am not interested. I love Mapaseka, I would never betray her. Now leave before I call the security."
Her smile faltered. For a moment, I saw something flash in her eyes—frustration, maybe even fear.
She stared at me, her face unreadable.
"You are making a mistake," she said finally.
"No. I am making the right choice. I will make it every single day."
She pulled her wrist free and walked back to her car. Before she got in, she turned to look at me.
"She is lucky," she said quietly. "Most men would not have resisted."
"I am not most men," I said. "Now go."
She got in her car and drove away, leaving me alone in the workshop.
I stood there for a long moment, my heart pounding. A woman had been sent to seduce me. They were desperate—willing to try anything, but they had failed.
I called Mapaseka immediately.
"Mapaseka, I need to tell you something," I said.
"What happened?"
"A woman came to my workshop. She tried to seduce me, her name is Slindile."
Mapaseka was quiet for a moment. Then she spoke, her voice cold. "Who sent her?"
"Your family. They also hired an investigator to dig into my past. Tshepo told me."
She let out a shaky breath. "They are still trying to break us apart."
"Yes. But I sent her away. I told her I love you. I told her I would never betray you."
"I believe you," she said softly. "I trust you."
"Then we will not let them win," I said. "They can send a hundred women. I will send them all away because there is only one woman for me. And that is you."
"Qondanisa..."
"I mean it, Mapaseka. I will never stop fighting for us. No matter what they do or who they send."
She was crying now—I could hear it in her voice. "I love you, Qondanisa. I love you so much."
"I love you too. And I will always be faithful to you. Always."
Later that night, I sat in my living room, replaying the day in my head. Slindile had been beautiful. She had tried everything to break my resolve.
But she had failed.
And the investigator would find nothing. Because I had nothing to hide.
My heart belonged to Mapaseka. It always had. It always would.
I picked up my phone and sent her a message.
Qondanisa: I love you. No one will ever change that. Sleep well, sthandwa sami.
She replied immediately.
Mapaseka: I love you too. Goodnight, my king.
I smiled and put my phone down.
They would never succeed.
Because what we had was real and real love always wins.
Comments
Post a Comment