Chapter 41: A Brother's Blessing
The morning sun was warm and golden as I drove Tshepo with his car through the streets of Midrand. He sat in the passenger seat, looking out the window at the unfamiliar neighbourhood.
"His house is nice," he commented as we pulled up to Qondanisa's two-bedroom home. "I expected something smaller for a mechanic."
I laughed. "Qondanisa is a businessman. He owns his own workshop. He works hard."
Tshepo nodded slowly. "I can respect that."
We walked to the front door, and before I could knock, it swung open. Qondanisa stood there, wearing a crisp white shirt and dark jeans. He looked handsome and composed, but I could see the slight nervousness in his eyes.
"Welcome," he said, extending his hand to Tshepo. "You must be Tshepo. I have heard so much about you."
Tshepo shook his hand firmly, studying his face. "And I have heard so much about you, Qondanisa."
"Please, come in," Qondanisa said, stepping aside. "Make yourself at home."
We walked inside, and I was immediately struck by the smell of delicious food. The dining table was set beautifully—clean white plates, sparkling glasses, and fresh flowers in the center.
"Qondanisa," I said, surprised, "You cooked all this?"
He smiled. "I wanted to impress your brother. I hope he likes traditional food."
Tshepo raised an eyebrow. "traditional food?"
"Yes," Qondanisa said. "I made idombolo and tripe. And for dessert, I made malva pudding with fresh cream."
Tshepo looked at me, and I could see the surprise in his eyes. "He cooked all this himself?"
"Qondanisa is full of surprises," I said, smiling.
We sat down at the table, and Qondanisa served us generously. The food was delicious, idombolo was soft and fluffy, the tripe was tender and flavourful. Tshepo ate quietly, but I could see his expression softening with each bite.
"This is good," he admitted. "Really good."
Qondanisa smiled. "Thank you. I wanted you to know that I can take care of your sister. Not just financially, but in every way."
Tshepo put down his fork and looked at Qondanisa. "My sister has been hurt before. Badly. The last man she was engaged to broke her heart. "
I felt my face flush with embarrassment. "Tshepo—"
"It's okay, Mapaseka," Qondanisa said gently. He turned to Tshepo. "I know about her past. She told me. And I want you to know that I am not that man. I would never hurt her, I love her."
"How do I know that?" Tshepo asked. "How do I know you are telling the truth?"
Qondanisa was quiet for a moment. Then he spoke, his voice steady.
"Because I want her to trust me completely. Mapaseka has full access to my phone—she can check it anytime. I tell her where I am going and who I am with. When I am away, she knows exactly where I am. Our phones are linked, and I wanted it that way. I have nothing to hide from her. I will prove my love through actions, every single day."
The room was silent. I felt tears prick my eyes.
Tshepo studied Qondanisa's face for a long moment. Then he nodded slowly.
"I believe you," he said. "I can see it in your eyes. You love my sister."
"I do," Qondanisa said. "More than anything."
Tshepo looked at me. "Mapaseka, why don't you go to the kitchen and get us some drinks? I want to talk to Qondanisa alone."
I looked at both of them, a little nervous. "Are you sure?"
"Yes," Tshepo said. "I won't bite him."
I smiled and stood up. I walked to the kitchen, but I did not go far. I stood just outside the door, listening.
"Qondanisa," Tshepo began, "My sister has been through a lot. She is strong, but she has been broken before. I cannot watch that happen again."
"I understand," Qondanisa said.
"So I need you to promise me something."
"Anything."
"If you ever hurt her—if you ever break her heart—I will find you. And I will make you regret it. Do you understand?"
There was a pause. Then Qondanisa spoke, his voice firm.
"I understand. And I promise you, Tshepo, I will never hurt her. I will protect her with my life. She is my everything."
"Good," Tshepo said. "Because she deserves to be happy. And I think... I think you can make her happy."
I heard them stand up. Then I heard Tshepo's voice again.
"Welcome to the family, Qondanisa."
I walked back into the room, tears streaming down my face.
Tshepo looked at me and smiled. "What are you crying about?"
"I'm just happy," I said, wiping my eyes. "I'm so happy."
Tshepo hugged me tightly. "I told you I would give him a chance. And he passed the test."
Qondanisa came to stand beside me, his arm around my waist.
"Thank you, Tshepo," he said. "You will never know what this means to me."
"I think I do," Tshepo said. "Now, let's finish the food. I want to try the desert."
We all laughed, and the tension that had been in the room melted away.
Later, after Tshepo left to go back home, I sat with Qondanisa on his couch.
"You did it," I said. "He likes you. He gave you his blessing."
"I was so nervous," Qondanisa admitted. "I wanted him to see that I am serious about you. That I am not going to hurt you."
"He sees it," I said. "We all see it."
Qondanisa pulled me into his arms. "Then we are one step closer. Your family may not accept me yet, but your brother does. And that is a start."
"Yes," I said. "It is a start."
I leaned my head on his shoulder, feeling safe and loved.
For the first time in a long time, I felt hopeful.
Comments
Post a Comment