Advertisement

Chapter 39: The Morning After

 



The sun rose over Kgarankuwa, casting golden light through the curtains of my childhood home. But inside, there was no peace.

I was not there to see it, but Tshepo told me everything later.

He called me the next morning, his voice heavy with frustration.

"Mapaseka, you need to know what happened after you left."

I gripped my phone tighter. "Tell me."

"After Mama found your room empty, she panicked. She ran to the living room shouting that you were gone. Ntate was furious. He slammed his hand on the table and said you had lost your mind."

I winced. "I can imagine."

"Then Mama started crying," Tshepo continued. "She said she didn't mean the harsh words. She was just shocked. She didn't know you were serious about this man."

"Serious?" I laughed bitterly. "I love him, of course I'm serious."

"That's what I told them," Tshepo said. "I told them they pushed you away. They shouted at you. They threatened to disown you. What did they expect?"

"And what did they say to that?"


There was a pause. Then Tshepo's voice dropped. "Ntate said they have to stop you. He said they cannot let you marry a Zulu man."

My heart sank. "He really said that?"

"Yes. And then Mama said they would make you see reason. They would find a way to break you and Qondanisa apart."

I felt the blood drain from my face. "Break us apart?"

"Mapaseka, they gathered everyone in the living room," Tshepo said. "Mama, Ntate, Auntie, Palesa... all of them. They sat there and discussed how to destroy your relationship."

"Destroy it?" I whispered.

"Ntate said they needed a plan. Palesa was excited—I could see it in her eyes. Auntie said they should find out more about Qondanisa. She said maybe he has secrets. Maybe he is not as good as you think."

I shook my head, tears forming in my eyes. "He is a good man. He has no secrets."

"I know," Tshepo said. "I tried to tell them. I said what they were doing was wrong. They were going to hurt you."

"And what did they say?"

He sighed heavily. "Ntate shouted that they were trying to save you. That you are their daughter and they will not let you marry a stranger."


"He is not a stranger," I said, my voice breaking. "I know him. I love him."

"I know, Mapaseka. That's why I told them I would not be part of it. I walked out, I slammed the door behind me."

I felt a warmth spread through my chest. "Thank you, Tshepo. For standing up for me."

"I will always stand up for you," he said. "You are my sister. I want you to be happy. And if Qondanisa makes you happy, then I will support you."

"He does make me happy," I said. "He makes me so happy."

"Then fight for him," Tshepo said firmly. "Don't let them win."

"I won't," I promised. "I will fight for him with everything I have."


After I hung up, I sat on my bed, staring at the wall. My family was planning to destroy my relationship. They were going to do everything they could to break Qondanisa and me apart.

But they didn't know how strong we were.

They didn't know how much we loved each other.

I picked up my phone and called Qondanisa.

"Mapaseka?" he answered immediately. "Are you okay? You sound upset."


"My family is planning to break us apart," I said, my voice shaking. "Tshepo told me everything. They are going to try to destroy our relationship."

Qondanisa was silent for a moment. Then he spoke, his voice calm and steady. "Then we will not let them. We are stronger than any plan they come up with."

"How do you know?" I asked.

"Because I love you," he said. "And you love me. That is all that matters. Nothing they do will change that."

I felt my tears spill over, but this time they were tears of hope. "You really believe that?"

"I know it," he said firmly. "We will face whatever comes. Together. I promise you, Mapaseka. No one will tear us apart."

I took a deep breath. "I believe you."

"Good," he said. "Now, get some rest. We will figure this out. But you need to be strong."

"I will be strong," I said. "For us."

I lay back on my bed, staring at the ceiling.

My family had declared war on my love.

But I was ready to fight.

Comments