Advertisement

Chapter 38: A Shoulder to Cry On

 



I had barely dried my tears when I heard the knock at my door. I dragged myself off the bed and walked to the door, my eyes swollen and my face blotchy. I opened it, and there stood Relato, her face full of concern.

"Yoh, Mapaseka!" she exclaimed, pulling me into a tight hug. "You look terrible. Come, come. Let me in."

She guided me inside, closing the door behind her. She led me to the couch and made me sit down.

"Ke eng?" she asked, kneeling in front of me. "What happened? Tell me everything."

I took a deep breath and told her everything—from the moment I walked into my parents' house to the moment I drove away. The words spilled out of me like a dam had broken.

"Palesa grabbed my phone," I said, my voice cracking. "She saw Qondanisa's name and announced to everyone that I was dating a Zulu man."

Relato shook her head. "Yoh. That girl has no boundaries."

"My father shouted," I continued. "He said no lobola will take place. He said culture matters. Tradition matters. He said I should marry a Sotho man."


Relato's eyes flashed with anger. "And what about your happiness? What about what you want?"

"They don't care," I said, tears streaming down my face. "My mother cried. My aunt said his family would never accept me. But I told them his mother already welcomed me like her own daughter. I told them about the photo."

"The one where you look like his grandmother?"

"Yes," I said, nodding. "They didn't believe me. My father laughed. He said I was being foolish."

Relato reached out and took my hands. "Mapaseka, listen to me. You are not foolish. You are brave. You stood up for your love. That takes courage."

"But they said they would disown me," I whispered. "They said if I marry him, I am no longer their daughter."

Relato was quiet for a moment. Then she spoke, her voice firm.


"Mapaseka, I know this is hard. But you cannot let them control your life. You are a grown woman with your own company, your own money, a man who loves you, and a mother-in-law who adores you. Everything you need to build a happy life is already in your hands."


"I know," I said, wiping my eyes. "But they are my parents. It hurts."

"Of course it hurts," Relato said softly. "But they will come around. They love you. They just need time."


"Tshepo supported me," I said. "He said he wants to meet Qondanisa. He said he wants to know the man who captured his sister's heart."

Relato smiled. "Tshepo has always been the smart one. You should bring Qondanisa to meet him. Maybe he can help convince your parents."

I nodded. "That's a good idea."

"Now," Relato said, standing up, "let me make you some tea. You need to calm down."

She walked to my kitchen and began making tea. I watched her move around my kitchen like she owned it, and I felt a warmth spread through my chest.

Relato had been my best friend for years. She had always been there for me—through the good times and the bad.

I was lucky to have her.

She came back with two steaming cups of tea and handed one to me.

"Drink," she said. "You will feel better."

I took a sip, and the warmth spread through my body.

"Thank you, Relato," I said. "I don't know what I would do without you."

She smiled and sat beside me. "You will never have to find out. I am always here for you."

We sat in silence for a while, drinking our tea.


Then Relato spoke again. "So, what are you going to do now?"

I thought for a moment. "I need to talk to Qondanisa. I need to tell him what happened. And I need to figure out how to move forward."

"Good," Relato said. "You should call him. Tonight."

I nodded. "I will."

Relato put her hand on my shoulder. "Mapaseka, I am so proud of you. You stood up to your family for love. That takes strength."

"I don't feel strong," I admitted. "I feel broken."

"That is because you are tired and hurt," she said. "But tomorrow, you will wake up, and you will be strong again. You are one of the strongest people I know."

I smiled weakly. "Thank you."

"Now," she said, standing up, "I am going to stay here tonight. I am not leaving you alone."

"Relato, you don't have to—"

"Yes, I do," she said firmly. "That is what friends are for."

She walked to my bedroom and came back with a blanket and a pillow. She made herself comfortable on my couch, and I sat beside her.

For the first time that night, I felt a little better.

I picked up my phone and called Qondanisa.


He answered on the first ring. "Mapaseka! How did it go? Are you okay?"

I took a deep breath. "It went badly, Qondanisa. Really badly."

"Tell me everything," he said, his voice full of concern.

I told him the whole story—the shouting, the tears, the threats of disownment.

He was quiet for a long time.

Then he spoke, his voice low. "I am so sorry, Mapaseka. I should have come with you. I should have—"

"No," I interrupted. "You would have made it worse. They need time to get used to the idea."

"Does your brother still want to meet me?" he asked.

"Yes," I said. "Tshepo wants to meet you. He wants to know you."

"Then I will meet him," Qondanisa said firmly. "I will prove to him that I am a good man. I will prove to your family that I am worthy of you."

"I know you will," I said.

"Mapaseka," he said softly, "I love you. And I will fight for you. No matter what."

"I know," I whispered. "I love you too."

"Get some rest," he said. "Tomorrow, we will figure things out together."


"Okay," I said.

"Goodnight, sthandwa sami."

"Goodnight, Phakathwayo."

I hung up and turned to Relato.

"He said he will fight for me," I said. "No matter what."

Relato smiled. "That is a good man, Mapaseka. Hold on to him."

I nodded, a small smile forming on my face.

For the first time that night, I felt hope.














Comments