Advertisement

Chapter 37: The Confrontation

 


The drive to Kgarankuwa felt longer than usual. Every kilometer brought me closer to the conversation I had been dreading. My hands gripped the steering wheel tightly, my knuckles white.

I had told Qondanisa I would do this alone. He had offered to come, but I knew my parents. They needed to hear it from me first. If I showed up with a Zulu man, it would only make things worse.

I pulled up to my childhood home—a modest house with a small garden, the same house I had grown up in. My mother's flowers were blooming in the front yard, and I could see smoke rising from the backyard. Someone was cooking.

I took a deep breath, grabbed the letter from the passenger seat, and walked to the front door.

Before I could knock, the door swung open. My mother stood there, her face breaking into a wide smile.

"Mapaseka!" she exclaimed, pulling me into a hug. "My daughter! We have not seen you in so long!"

"Mme," I said, hugging her back.  “Ke ne ke u hopotse”

 "I missed you."

She pulled back and looked at me, her eyes scanning my face. "You look different. Something is different about you."


I forced a smile. "I'm fine, Mme. Just busy with work."

She led me inside, and I saw that the whole family was there. My father sat in his favorite armchair, reading a newspaper. My aunt was in the kitchen, stirring a pot. My older brother, Tshepo, was sitting on the couch with his wife. My younger sister, Palesa, was on her phone. And my cousin, Mpo, was helping to set the table.

"Everyone!" my mother announced. "Mapaseka o teng!"

They all looked up, and a chorus of greetings filled the room.

"Mapaseka! Finally!"

“Re ne re nahana hore o re lebetse”  "We thought you forgot about us!"

"You've been away for so long!"

I smiled and hugged each of them, making my way around the room. My father gave me a brief nod, which was his version of a warm welcome.

"Sit, " my mother said, pushing me toward the couch. "You must be hungry. We are just about to eat."

I sat down, and the family gathered around the table. The food was delicious—pap, morogo, and perfectly cooked chicken. But I could barely taste it. My stomach was in knots.

"So, Mapaseka," my aunt said, serving herself a generous portion, "tell us about your life. You have been so busy we hardly see you anymore."

"Work has been demanding," I said carefully. "My company is growing, and I have been traveling."


"Traveling?" my mother asked, her eyes narrowing with curiosity. "Where have you been?"

I hesitated. "Durban."

"Durban?" Tshepo repeated, raising an eyebrow. "What were you doing in Durban?"

"Business," I said quickly. "Just... business."

I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. I pulled it out discreetly and glanced at the screen.

It was a message from Qondanisa.

Qondanisa: Thinking of you, sthandwa sami. You are brave. I love you.

I smiled despite myself, a warmth spreading through my chest.

But my smile did not go unnoticed.

"Who is that?" Palesa asked, her eyes sharp. "Who made you smile like that?"

"No one," I said quickly, putting my phone away.

But it was too late. My mother had seen it too.

"Mapaseka," she said, her voice suspicious, "You are glowing. Your skin is different. You have a man, don't you?"

I felt my face grow warm. "Mme..."

"You do!" my aunt exclaimed, clapping her hands. "I knew it! Look at her! She is in love!"


I opened my mouth to deny it, but before I could speak, Palesa lunged across the table and grabbed my phone from my hand.

"Palesa!" I shouted, reaching for it.

But she was already scrolling. Her eyes widened.

"Qondanisa?" she read out loud. "You are dating a Zulu man?!"

The room went silent.

I felt my heart stop.

"Give me back my phone," I said, my voice dangerously low.

But Palesa wasn't done. "That is why you have been away so long? That is why you did not visit? You were busy with a Zulu man?!"

"What does that have to do with anything?" I snapped, finally grabbing my phone back. "I can love whoever I want to love!"

My mother stood up slowly, her face pale. "Mapaseka... you are dating a Zulu man?"

"Ee, ho joalo, Mme," I said, my voice shaking. “  Ke ratana le monna wa Mozulu.” "I am in love with a Zulu man. His name is Qondanisa. He is a good man. He loves me, and I love him."

My mother shook her head. "Mapaseka, you cannot do this. You cannot bring someone from another tribe into this family. It is not right."

I took a deep breath, reached into my bag, and pulled out the letter. I handed it to my mother.


"It is too late, Mme," I said quietly. "He has already written a lobola letter."

My mother took the letter with shaking hands. She opened it, her eyes scanning the page. Her face grew paler with each line.

"Mahadi?" she whispered. "He wants to pay lobola?"

My father stood up abruptly, his face red with anger. "What is this? Mapaseka, you disrespect us like this? You bring a man from another tribe into our lives without telling us? You want us to accept lobola from a man we have never met? A Zulu man?!"

"Ntate—" I started.

"No!" he shouted. "I will not hear it! No lobola will take place! End of story!"

His words hit me like a slap. But I did not back down.

"Ntate, kea mo rata," I said, my voice shaking but steady. “ Ke monna ea lokileng.” "He is a good man. He is a businessman. He works hard, he respects his family, and he loves me. That is all that should matter!"

"Culture matters!" my father roared. "Tradition matters! You are a Sotho woman! You should marry a Sotho man!"

"It is not about tribe!" I shouted back. "It is about love! And I love him!"


My aunt stepped in, her voice cold. "Mapaseka, you are being foolish. You think love is enough? You think his family will accept you? A sotho woman? They will never accept you!"

"They already have," I said, turning to her. "His mother welcomed me like her own daughter. She did my hair. She called me her daughter. She showed me photos of her grandmother who looks exactly like me. His ancestors brought me to him!"

Everyone stared at me, stunned.

My brother Tshepo finally spoke. "Wait... his ancestors?"

"Yes," I said, tears streaming down my face. "I look exactly like his grandmother. His mother showed me the photo. It was like looking at myself in a mirror. The ancestors chose me for him. They brought me to him."

There was silence. Then my father laughed bitterly.

"Ancestors? You expect us to believe that?"

"I don't care what you believe," I said. "I know what I saw. And I know what I feel. I am going to marry him, whether you like it or not."

Tshepo stood up and walked toward me. "Mapaseka," he said, his voice soft, "I am happy for you. If you love him, I want to meet him. I want to know the man who has captured my sister's heart."

My mother gasped. "Tshepo! You cannot encourage this!"


"I am not encouraging anything, Mme," Tshepo said calmly. "I am just saying I want to meet him. I don't want my sister to get hurt again. I need time with him before she gets married. That is all I ask."

My father slammed his hand on the table. "No! I said no lobola will take place! End of story!"

I looked at my father, my eyes burning. "It will happen. Whether you like it or not. And if you won't accept it, then I will go to my uncle, your brother. I know he loves money. He will never turn down lobola."

The room went deadly silent.

My father's face turned purple with rage. "You would go behind my back? To your uncle?!"

"If I have to," I said, my voice steady. "I will do whatever it takes to be with the man I love."

My mother started crying. "Mapaseka... you are breaking our hearts. You are tearing this family apart."

"I am not tearing this family apart," I said, my own tears falling. "You are choosing tradition over my happiness."

"We will disown you!" my father shouted. "If you marry this Zulu man, you are no longer our daughter!"

"Then so be it," I said, my voice breaking.

I turned and walked to my old room, slamming the door behind me. I collapsed onto the bed, burying my face in the pillow, and let the tears come.


I did not sleep that night. I lay awake, staring at the ceiling, replaying the conversation over and over in my mind. My father's words echoed in my head. My mother's tears. My aunt's cold silence. Palesa's betrayal.

Only Tshepo had stood by me. Only Tshepo had been willing to give Qondanisa a chance.

I knew what I had to do.

Before the sun rose, I packed my things. I crept out of the house silently, not waking anyone. I got into my car and drove away, leaving my childhood home behind.

I was angry—at my parents for not understanding, at myself for not telling them sooner, and at the world for making love so complicated.


But I was also determined.

I was going to marry Qondanisa. No matter what.

When I arrived at my house, I collapsed onto my bed and cried again. Then I picked up my phone and called the one person who always made everything better.

"Relato," I said when she answered, my voice hoarse. "It went badly. Really badly."

"Tell me everything," she said. "I'm on my way."

Comments