Chapter 36: The Letter
The afternoon sun was beginning its slow descent, casting long shadows across the quiet street. I pulled into my driveway, exhausted but satisfied after a productive day back at work. My company had run smoothly in my absence, and I was grateful for my reliable staff.
I stepped out of my car, my heels clicking against the pavement as I walked toward my front door. But something caught my eye.
There, sticking out of my mailbox, was a cream-coloured envelope. It looked formal—expensive paper, neat handwriting, the kind of envelope that held something important.
I was confused slightly. I wasn't expecting any mail.
I pulled it out and turned it over. My heart stopped.
The front of the envelope read, in bold, careful handwriting:
TO THE MKOENA FAMILY
FROM QONDANISA QWABE
My hands started shaking.
I quickly unlocked my front door and rushed inside, dropping my handbag on the floor. I sat down on the couch, staring at the envelope as if it might explode.
He wrote a lobola letter.
I opened it carefully, my fingers shaking. Inside was a beautifully written letter on crisp, formal paper. I began to read:
To the Mkoena Family,
I hope this letter finds you well. My name is Qondanisa Qwabe, and I am writing to formally express my intention to marry your daughter, Mapaseka Mkoena.
I have had the privilege of knowing your daughter for some time now, and in that time, she has captured my heart completely. She is a woman of strength, grace, and kindness. She has shown me what it means to love deeply, to trust fully, and to hope for a future filled with joy.
I come from the Qwabe clan, in KwaMashu, Durban. I am a businessman, a mechanic by trade, and a man who believes in hard work, honesty, and family. I am not a rich man, but I am a man who will provide, protect, and cherish your daughter for the rest of my life.
I humbly request the honour of paying lobola for your daughter, so that she may become my wife and join the Qwabe family.
I would be grateful for the opportunity to meet with you and discuss the lobola negotiations at your earliest convenience.
Please find my contact details below. I await your response with respect and anticipation.
Yours respectfully,
Qondanisa Qwabe
I finished reading, and a huge smile spread across my face.
He did it. He actually did it.
I clutched the letter to my chest, my heart racing with excitement. He wanted to marry me. He was serious. He was ready to take the next step.
But then, slowly, the excitement faded.
And a cold knot formed in my stomach.
My parents.
They didn't know.
I had never told them about Qondanisa. I had never told them I was dating a Zulu man. My family... they had expectations. They had hopes. And they had never, not once, imagined me marrying someone from a different culture.
My father was a traditional man. He had always assumed I would marry a Sotho man, someone from our own community, someone who understood our customs and our language.
How was I going to tell him that I was in love with a Zulu man?
How was I going to tell him that a Zulu man wanted to pay lobola for me?
The excitement I had felt moments before was now replaced with a deep, nagging anxiety.
I needed to talk to someone.
I grabbed my phone and called Relato.
She answered on the second ring. "Mapaseka! How was work?"
"Relato," I said, my voice shaking, "I need to tell you something."
"What? What happened? Are you okay?"
"I'm fine," I said quickly. "I'm more than fine. Qondanisa... he sent a lobola letter to my house."
There was a pause. Then Relato screamed.
"YOH! MAPASEKA! LOBOLA LETTER?! HE WANTS TO MARRY YOU?!"
"Yes!" I said, laughing despite my anxiety. "I just read it. He wrote to my family. He wants to pay lobola."
"YOH YOH YOH!" Relato screamed again. "This is huge! This is amazing! Friend, I am so happy for you!"
"I know," I said. "I'm happy too. But Relato..."
"But what?"
I took a deep breath. "My parents don't know about him. They don't know I'm dating a Zulu man."
There was silence on the other end of the line.
"Mapaseka," Relato said slowly, "You haven't told your parents about Qondanisa?"
"No," I admitted. "I was waiting for the right time. And now... he's sent a lobola letter. They're going to find out like this."
"Oh, friend," Relato said softly. "That's... that's a problem."
"I know," I said, my voice cracking. "My father is so traditional. He always assumed I would marry a Sotho man. How am I going to tell him I want to marry a Zulu man?"
Relato was quiet for a moment. Then she spoke.
"Mapaseka, listen to me. Your parents love you. They want you to be happy. Yes, it might be a shock. Yes, they might need time to process it. But when they see how happy Qondanisa makes you, when they see how much he loves you, they will come around."
"You think so?"
"I know so," she said firmly. "And if they don't... well, I'll come and fight them myself."
I laughed despite my tears. "You're crazy."
"I'm serious! No one messes with my best friend's happiness!"
I smiled. "Thank you, Relato. I needed that."
"Anytime, friend. Now, what are you going to do?"
I looked at the letter in my hands. "I'm going to give this letter to my parents this weekend. I'll drive to their house and tell them everything."
"That's brave," she said. "I'm proud of you."
"Thank you."
"Call me after you tell them. I want to know everything!"
"I will," I promised.
We hung up, and I sat in silence, staring at the letter.
Then my phone rang.
I looked at the screen.
QONDANISA QWABE
I took a deep breath and answered.
"Phakathwayo?"
"Mapaseka," he said, his voice warm and excited. "Did you receive the mail?"
"Yes," I said. "I received it."
"And?" he asked, his voice full of hope. "What do you think?"
I smiled despite myself. "Qondanisa, it's beautiful. The letter is beautiful."
He let out a breath of relief. "I was so nervous writing it. I wanted it to be perfect."
"Phakathwayo," I said, "Why didn't you tell me? You kept a big secret from me."
He laughed softly. "You weren't supposed to read that letter, Mapaseka. It was for your family."
"Wait," I said, confused. "You weren't going to tell me?"
"No," he admitted. "I was going to send it to your parents and let them tell you. That's how it's supposed to work."
I shook my head, laughing. "Qondanisa, I opened it. I read it. I know everything now."
He laughed again. "I should have known you would open it. You're too curious."
"Exactly," I said. "So now you have to deal with me knowing."
He was quiet for a moment. "Are you happy, Mapaseka? About the letter? About... about all of it?"
I felt my eyes fill with tears. "I am so happy, Qondanisa. I want to marry you. I want to be your wife."
"Then why do you sound sad?"
I took a deep breath. "Because my parents don't know about you. They don't know I'm dating a Zulu man. And now I have to tell them."
There was a pause. Then he spoke, his voice gentle.
"Mapaseka, I understand. I know this is difficult. But I will be with you every step of the way.
If you want me to come with you when you tell them, I will. If you want to tell them alone, I will wait. Whatever you need, I am here."
I wiped a tear from my cheek. "Thank you, Qondanisa."
"Always," he said. "I love you, Mapaseka. And I will fight for you. No matter what."
"I love you too," I whispered. "I will give the letter to my parents this weekend. I will tell them everything."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes. It's time."
He was quiet for a moment. "Call me after you speak to them."
"I will," I promised.
"Goodnight, sthandwa sami," he said softly.
"Goodnight, Phakathwayo," I replied.
We hung up, and I sat in the quiet of my living room, the letter clutched in my hands.
This weekend, everything would change.
I just hoped I was ready.
Comments
Post a Comment