Advertisement

Chapter 35: Homecoming

 



We gathered our luggage and made our way through the terminal. The airport was busy, as always—people rushing, suitcases rolling, announcements echoing through the halls.

As we walked toward the arrivals area, I pulled out my phone and called Relato.

She answered on the second ring. "Mapaseka! Are you back?!"

"Yes, we just landed," I said, laughing at her excitement. "Are you here?"

"I'm parked outside! Come find me!"

I turned to Qondanisa. "Relato is here."

He nodded, smiling. "Good. Let's go."

We walked through the glass doors into the warm Johannesburg afternoon. I spotted Relato immediately—she was leaning against her car, waving frantically.

"Mapaseka! Over here!"

I laughed and rushed toward her. We embraced tightly, both of us laughing.


"Yoh, friend!" Relato exclaimed, pulling back to look at me. "You look amazing! But your hair... WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR HAIR?!"

She reached out and touched the intricate braids MaKhumalo had done. Her eyes were wide with admiration.

"This is beautiful!" she said. "Who did this?!"

I smiled, feeling a warmth spread through my chest. "MaKhumalo. Qondanisa's mother."

Relato's jaw dropped. "His mother did your hair?!"

"Yes," I said. "She spent the whole morning on it. She said she always wanted a daughter."

Relato shook her head slowly. "Yoh, Mapaseka. Your mother-in-law loves you. I can already tell."

"She does," I said softly. "She really does."

Qondanisa came up behind me, placing his hand on my waist. "Hello, Relato. Thank you for fetching us."

Relato smiled at him. "Of course! Anything for my best friend and her man." She looked at me again. "Get in the car. I want to hear everything!"

We loaded our luggage into the boot and climbed into Relato's car. Qondanisa sat in the front with Relato, and I sat in the back, my hand resting on his shoulder.


As Relato pulled out of the airport, she glanced at me in the rearview mirror.

"So," she said, "tell me everything. How was Durban? How was the meeting? Is the mother nice?"

"She is wonderful," I said. "She welcomed me like I was her own daughter."

Relato smiled. "I'm so happy for you, friend."

"Also," I said, leaning forward, "something strange happened. When MaKhumalo saw me, she started crying. She said I looked exactly like her mother."

Relato's eyes widened. "Wait. What?"

"Yes," I said. "She brought out an old photo of her mother, and... Relato, it was like looking at myself in a mirror. Same face, same smile everything."

Relato gasped. "No ways! So you look like Qondanisa's grandmother?"

"Exactly like her," Qondanisa confirmed. "My mother said my ancestors brought Mapaseka to me."

Relato let out a low whistle. "Yoh. That is deep. The ancestors are real, hey?"

I nodded. "I believe it now. I was meant to find him."

Relato looked at me through the mirror, her eyes soft. "I'm so happy for you, Mapaseka. You deserve this. You deserve all of this."


I felt tears prick my eyes. "Thank you, Relato."

We drove through the streets of Johannesburg, past the towering buildings and busy intersections. The city was alive with energy—people rushing, taxis honking, life moving at its usual fast pace.

After a while, we turned into a quieter neighbourhood. The streets were lined with trees, and the houses were modern and well-kept.

"Welcome to Midrand," Qondanisa said, turning to look at me.

I looked out the window, taking it all in. This was where he lived. This was his home.

Relato pulled up in front of a neat two-story house with a well-manicured garden. The walls were painted a warm cream colour, and the front door was a rich, dark wood.

"Here we are," Relato said, parking the car.

I got out and stood in front of the house, my heart swelling. It was beautiful. It felt like him—warm, inviting, and full of character.

Qondanisa came to stand beside me. "Welcome to my home, Mapaseka. Our home, from now on."

I looked at him, my eyes shining. "It's beautiful."

He took my hand and led me to the door. He unlocked it and pushed it open, gesturing for me to enter first.


The inside was just as lovely as the outside. The living room was spacious and tastefully decorated—comfortable couches, warm lighting, and a beautiful rug on the floor. The kitchen was modern and clean, and I could see a small dining area beyond it.

"Your house is amazing," I said, looking around.

"It's just two bedrooms," he said, a little sheepishly. "But it's home."

"It's perfect," I said firmly.

Relato came in with our luggage, setting it down by the door. "Okay, friend, I'll leave you two to settle in."

I hugged her tightly. "Thank you for fetching us, Relato. I'll call you tomorrow."

"Please do," she said, hugging me back. "I want to hear more about the mother-in-law .”

I laughed. "I will tell you everything."

Relato said goodbye to Qondanisa, then left, closing the door behind her.

Suddenly, it was just the two of us.

Qondanisa looked at me, his eyes soft. "I am so happy you are here, Mapaseka.  In my life."

"I am happy too," I whispered.


He stepped closer, his hands finding my waist. "Let me show you the rest of the house."

He took my hand and led me through the living room to a short hallway. The first door opened to a guest bedroom, simple but cozy. The second door opened to the master bedroom.

It was beautiful. The bed was large and covered in soft white linen. There were windows that let in the afternoon light, and a small balcony overlooking the garden.

"This is my room," he said. "And now... it is yours too."

I looked at him, my heart pounding. "Qondanisa..."

He pulled me into his arms, his lips finding mine. The kiss was deep and full of longing—all the desire we had held back in his mother's house.

"Let's shower," he whispered against my lips. "And then... I want to make love to you, Mapaseka. In our home, in our bed."

I nodded, unable to speak.

We showered together, the warm water washing away the exhaustion of the journey. He washed my body slowly, reverently, his hands exploring every curve. I did the same to him, marvelling at the strength in his shoulders, the warmth of his skin.

When we stepped out, we wrapped ourselves in towels and walked to the bedroom.


He laid me down on the bed, his body hovering over mine. He looked at me like I was the most precious thing in the world.

"You are so beautiful," he whispered. "My queen. My Mapaseka."

I reached up and touched his face. "And you are my king. My Phakathwayo."

He leaned down and kissed me—slow, deep, full of love.

That night, we made love, it was gentle and passionate, tender and wild. Every touch, every kiss, every whisper felt like a promise.

Afterward, we lay tangled in each other's arms, our bodies slick with sweat.

"I love you, Mapaseka," he said, his voice thick with emotion.

"I love you too, Qondanisa," I whispered.

And we fell asleep, wrapped in each other, the world outside fading away.

The next morning, I woke up to the smell of coffee. Qondanisa was already up, standing in the kitchen in nothing but his boxers, making breakfast.

"Good morning, sthandwa sami," he said, smiling when he saw me.

"Good morning," I said, walking over to kiss him.

He handed me a cup of coffee, and we sat together, eating a simple breakfast of toast and eggs.


"Today," he said, "we go back to work. My car was couriered from Durban. It arrived yesterday."

"You had your car couriered?" I asked, surprised.

"I didn't want to leave it there," he said. "And I need to drive you to work."

After we dressed, Qondanisa drove me to my company. His car was sleek and powerful, and I felt like a queen sitting in the passenger seat.

When we pulled up to my office building, he parked and turned to me.

"Have a good day, Mapaseka," he said.

I leaned over and kissed him. "You too. I'll see you tonight."

"I'll pick you up," he said.

"I'll be waiting."

I got out of the car and walked into my building, my heart full. I was back in Johannesburg. Back to my work. But I was carrying a piece of Durban with me.

I was carrying the love of a mother who had welcomed me like a daughter.

And I was carrying the love of a man who had given me everything.

Comments