Chapter 33: Becoming Qwabe
The morning sun crept through the curtains of Qondanisa's childhood room. I stirred awake, blinking against the soft light, and for a moment I forgot where I was.
Then I felt Qondanisa's arm wrapped around my waist, his warm breath on my neck, and I remembered.
I was in KwaMashu. In his home. With his mother just down the hall.
A smile spread across my face.
I carefully disentangled myself from his embrace, not wanting to wake him. He stirred slightly, murmuring something in Zulu, then rolled over and continued sleeping.
I tiptoed to the bathroom and took a shower, letting the warm water wash away the last traces of sleep. The bathroom was simple but clean, and I noticed a fresh towel and a new bar of soap laid out for me—MaKhumalo's doing, no doubt.
After I dressed, I sat on the edge of the bed and pulled out my phone. I had several emails from my assistant and staff back in Johannesburg. I replied to each one, delegating tasks and approving schedules.
All under control, I thought with satisfaction. I can actually enjoy this trip.
I heard movement in the kitchen and smelled something delicious cooking. I put my phone away and walked out to find MaKhumalo busy at the stove.
"Good morning, Mama," I said softly.
She turned and beamed at me. "Good morning, my daughter! Did you sleep well?"
"Very well, thank you."
"Come, come," she said, gesturing to the table. "Sit. Breakfast is almost ready."
I sat down and watched her work. She moved with practiced ease, stirring pots, humming a gentle tune under her breath.
"Can I help with anything?" I offered.
She waved her hand dismissively. "No, no. You are a guest. You sit and relax."
"But I want to help," I insisted. "Please?"
She looked at me, her eyes softening. "Okay. You can set the table."
I smiled and got to work, laying out plates and cups. It felt good to be useful, to be part of the rhythm of the household.
Soon, Qondanisa joined us, his hair still wet from his own shower. He kissed my cheek and sat down.
"Good morning, Mama. Good morning, sthandwa sami."
"Good morning," we both replied.
MaKhumalo served us a hearty breakfast of bread, eggs, and chakalaka. We ate together, laughing and talking, and I felt more and more like I belonged here.
After breakfast, Qondanisa kissed my forehead and headed outside.
"I have work to do," he said. "Some of the neighbours heard I was back. Their cars are waiting."
I followed him to the door and watched as he walked toward his backyard workshop. Sure enough, three cars were already parked there, and several men were standing around, their faces lighting up when they saw him.
"Qondanisa! Hawu, welcome back!"
"Ngubani lo muntu omuhle osegcekeni?" one of them asked, smiling. "Who is this beautiful woman in the yard?"
Qondanisa laughed. "That's my woman. Mapaseka. And keep your eyes to yourself."
The men laughed, and Qondanisa opened his workshop, rolling up his sleeves. I watched him for a moment—his confident stride, the way he greeted everyone warmly, the respect they clearly had for him.
This is who he is, I thought. A man of the people. A man who works with his hands.
I smiled and went back inside.
MaKhumalo was waiting for me in the kitchen. She had a comb and a container of hair oil in her hands.
"Come, my daughter," she said. "Sit. Let me do your hair."
I blinked in surprise. "Mama, you don't have to—"
"I want to," she said firmly. "I always wanted a daughter. Someone to braid hair with. Someone to talk to while I cook. Now I have you."
My heart swelled. I sat down in front of her, and she began to work her magic.
Her fingers moved expertly through my hair, parting, braiding, twisting. It was soothing—the gentle tug on my scalp, the warmth of her hands.
"I always wanted a daughter," she said again, her voice soft. "But God gave me Qondanisa. A son. And I was grateful. But I always wondered... what would it be like to have a daughter?"
"Now you have me," I said quietly.
She paused for a moment, and I heard her sniffle. "Yes," she said. "Now I have you."
We sat in comfortable silence for a while, the only sound the gentle rhythm of her hands in my hair.
Then she spoke again.
"Mapaseka, do you know the Qwabe clan names?"
I shook my head. "No, Mama. I don't."
She smiled. "Then I will teach you. It is important, you are becoming one of us."
She began to recite the names, her voice taking on a rhythmic, almost musical quality.
"Qwabe. Phakathwayo. Gumede. Mnguni kaYeye."
I repeated after her, stumbling over the sounds.
"Phakathwayo. Gumede. Mnguni kaYeye."
"Good," she said. "Now say it together."
"Phakathwayo, Gumede, Mnguni kaYeye."
"Again. With feeling."
"Phakathwayo! Gumede! Mnguni kaYeye!"
MaKhumalo laughed, clapping her hands. "Yes! That is it! you know his roots now!"
I laughed too, feeling a sense of pride I hadn't expected.
"Which one do you like best?" she asked.
I thought for a moment. "Phakathwayo. It sounds strong."
"Ah," she said, nodding approvingly. "A good choice. Phakathwayo is the name of a great chief."
"I like that," I said. "I will call Qondanisa that from now on."
MaKhumalo laughed. "He will be happy. A woman who knows his clan names—that is a woman who respects his roots."
When my hair was finished, MaKhumalo handed me a small mirror. I gasped.
My hair was beautiful—intricate braids woven with care, each one perfect. I looked like a queen.
"Mama," I whispered. "This is beautiful. Thank you."
She smiled, her eyes crinkling. "Now you look like a true Qwabe woman."
I hugged her tightly. "Thank you for welcoming me, teaching me to be part of the Qwabe clan. Thank you for treating me like your daughter."
She hugged me back. "You are my daughter now, Mapaseka. Never forget that."
Later that morning, I stepped outside to see Qondanisa at work. He was bent over an engine, his hands covered in grease, his brow furrowed in concentration.
I watched him for a moment, feeling a surge of love.
Then I called out, "Phakathwayo!"
He looked up, startled. His face broke into a wide smile.
"Mapaseka!" he said, wiping his hands on a rag. "Where did you learn that?"
"Your mother taught me," I said, walking toward him.
He laughed, pulling me into a hug despite his greasy hands. "She is turning you into a Qwabe already."
"I am happy to be one," I said.
He looked at me, his eyes soft. “ Ngiyakuthanda, sthandwa sami. Ngijabule kakhulu ukuthi ungowami."
I looked at him, confused. "What does that mean?"
He smiled. "It means: 'I love you, my love. I am so happy you are mine.'"
I felt my cheeks warm. "I love you too, Phakathwayo."
He kissed my forehead, leaving a smudge of grease. "Now let me finish this car. Tonight, we will have dinner together—just the three of us. My mother is making something special."
I nodded and went back inside, feeling lighter than I had in days.
A little while later, I heard voices outside. I looked out the window and saw two women from the neighbourhood standing at the gate, peering into the yard.
MaKhumalo walked out to greet them.
"Sanibonani!" she called cheerfully.
"Sawubona, MaKhumalo!" one of the women replied. "Yeheni! Yini le? Is that a beautiful woman we see in your yard?"
MaKhumalo laughed. "Yes! This is Mapaseka. Ingoduso kaQondanisa. Qondanisa's fiancée."
The women gasped.
"Fiancée?!" the other woman exclaimed. "Yoh! But we thought Qondanisa was isitabane! We have never seen him with a woman!"
MaKhumalo burst out laughing. "You thought my son was gay?!"
"Everyone thought so!" the first woman said. "We thought he would never get married!"
MaKhumalo shook her head, still laughing. "Well, you were wrong! Look at this beautiful woman he brought home! She is his fiancée, and she will be his wife!"
The women rushed forward, grabbing my hands and examining me.
"Yoh, she is beautiful!"
"Where did you find her, Qondanisa?"
"MaKhumalo, you are blessed!"
I laughed, overwhelmed but happy. The women embraced me, complimenting my hair and my dress.
"The bride is beautiful," one of them said. "MaKhumalo, you must be so proud!"
"I am," MaKhumalo said, her eyes shining. "I am so proud."
We ate lunch together under the shade of a tree in the yard. The food was simple but delicious, isitambu (Samp) and mutton stew and a fresh salad.
MaKhumalo bowed her head and prayed.
"Father God, thank you for this food, for bringing my son home. Thank You for bringing Mapaseka into our lives. She is a gift from you and ancestors. Please bless her, protect her and make her part of our family forever. Amen."
"Amen," Qondanisa and I echoed.
MaKhumalo looked up at the sky, her eyes distant.
"I wish Qwabe was here," she said softly. "He would have loved to see this. His son bringing home a beautiful woman. The family growing. Good things happening."
I looked at Qondanisa. He had told me about his father—how he had passed away years ago, how much he missed him.
"He is here, Mama," Qondanisa said gently. "He is watching. He is proud."
MaKhumalo nodded, wiping a tear from her eye. "Yes. He is proud. I know he is."
That night, after dinner, Qondanisa and I retreated to his room.
We lay down together, facing each other.
"Today was perfect," I whispered.
"It was," he agreed. "You fit here, Mapaseka. You fit in my life, in my family."
I smiled. "It feels like home."
He leaned forward and kissed me softly. Then again, deeper.
I felt the heat rise between us. My hands found his chest, his back, pulling him closer.
But he pulled away gently, his forehead resting against mine.
"Not here," he said, his voice strained. "Not in my father's house. I respect him too much for that."
I nodded, understanding. "I know."
"But Mapaseka..." he said, his breath warm on my lips. "It is not easy. Sleeping next to you, touching you and wanting you."
I laughed softly. "It is not easy for me either."
He sighed pulling me into his arms. "We will wait," he said.
I cuddled into his chest, feeling his heart beat against my cheek. "I can wait," I whispered. "As long as I am with you.”
He kissed the top of my head. "I love you, Mapaseka Mkoena."
"I love you too, Phakathwayo Qwabe."
We lay there, tangled in each other, the night settling around us like a soft blanket. And despite the tension, despite the longing, I felt at peace.
I was home.
Comments
Post a Comment