CHAPTER 28: Driving to my house
The drive to my house was quiet. The city lights glittered around me, but my mind was somewhere else. I could not stop thinking about him—his gaze across the table like I was the only person in that room, his gentle hands feeding me, touching mine, completing my thoughts. And the fierce way he had stood up for me when that drunk man grabbed my arm—so protective, so strong. He was everything I never knew I needed. He did tick few boxes in my list.
Qondanisa.
I smiled as I pulled into my driveway. I could see his car already parked outside. He was waiting for me.
My heart raced as I parked and walked to my front door. He was leaning against the wall, his arms crossed, a smile on his face.
"Nkosazana," he said softly.
"Qondanisa."
He pulled me into his arms and kissed me softly. "Thank you for tonight. For everything."
"Thank you for planning it, it was perfect."
We walked to the living room, and I kicked off my shoes. He sat down on the couch, and I sat next to him.
"What do you want to watch?" I asked, reaching for the remote.
"Whatever you want," he said. "I just want to be with you."
I smiled and scrolled through the options. I found a drama series I had been meaning to watch.
"This one?" I asked.
"Perfect."
We settled into the couch. I leaned against him, and he put his arm around me. The show started playing, but I could not focus. All I could think about was him.
Then he gently pulled my feet onto his lap.
"What are you doing?" I asked.
"Relax," he said softly. "Let me take care of you."
He started massaging my feet. His hands were strong and warm, working the tension out of my tired muscles. I let out a soft sigh and relaxed deeper into the couch.
"Yoh, Qondanisa," I said. "This feels amazing."
He laughed.
"Good. That's the point."
"How did you know I needed this?”
He looked up and smiled.
"When you are with your person, you start feeling what they feel. You notice the little things. The way they walk when they are tired. "
I stared at him.
"You notice that?"
"I notice everything about you, Mapaseka."
My heart skipped a beat.
"Everything?"
"Everything."
He squeezed my foot gently. He smiled and continued massaging my feet. I watched him, my heart full.
We watched the drama for a while. It was about a woman who had to choose between her family's expectations and the man she loved. It felt familiar.
"That is us," I said softly.
He looked at me. "What?"
"Her family wants her to marry someone else. But she loves him. She does not know what to do."
He was quiet for a moment. Then he squeezed my hand.
"I will never make you choose, Mapaseka. I will always fight for you. No matter what."
I felt tears prick at my eyes. "I know and I will fight for you too."
We kissed, it was soft and sweet, full of promise.
We continued watching the drama, commenting on the characters and their decisions. It felt so natural, so easy. Like we had been doing this for years.
"That woman is crazy," I said, laughing. "She should just choose him."
"Exactly," Qondanisa agreed. "Why waste time if she already knows he is the one?"
"Because she is scared," I said. "Scared of what her family will say."
"Love is worth the risk," he said. "Always."
I looked at him. "You really believe that?"
"I know it," he said. "Because I found you."
The show ended, and we sat in comfortable silence.
"Are you tired?" he asked.
"A little," I admitted. "It has been a long day."
"Come," he said. "Let me take care of you."
He stood up and reached for my hand. I took it, and he pulled me to my feet.
He kissed me again, deeper this time. His hands moved to the zipper of my dress, pulling it down slowly. I felt the fabric loosen around my shoulders.
"Qondanisa..." I whispered.
"Let me take care of you," he said again.
He slid the dress off my shoulders, and it pooled at my feet. I stood before him in just my underwear, and he looked at me like I was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.
"Stunning," he whispered. "Absolutely stunning."
He kissed my neck, his hands explored my body, and I felt like I was on fire.
"Qondanisa," I breathed.
He pulled back and looked at me, a smile playing on his lips.
"Let us go take a hot shower, sthanda sami," he said softly. "Belulude lolu suku."
I did not understand all the Zulu words, but I understood the meaning. He was telling me he wanted to take care of me. To wash away the long day.
He lifted me up, and I wrapped my legs around his waist. He kissed me as he carried me through the house, his lips never leaving mine.
We reached the bathroom, and he set me down gently. He turned on the water, and steam began to fill the room.
Then he undressed himself, his eyes never leaving mine. He stepped into the shower and reached for my hand.
"Come," he said softly. "Let me help you let go of all that tension.”
I stepped into the shower with him. The water was warm and soothing. He pulled me close, and I rested my head on his chest.
"Qondanisa," I whispered.
"Yes?"
"I love you."
He kissed my forehead. "I love you too, Mapaseka. More than anything."
He washed me slowly, my back, my arms. His hands were gentle and caring. I felt safe and loved.
When we were both clean, he turned off the water and wrapped me in a towel. He dried me with care, then lifted me into his arms.
"Now," he said, "let us go to bed."
He carried me to the bedroom and laid me down on the bed. He climbed in next to me, pulling me close.
"You are tired," he said softly.
"A little," I admitted.
"Then sleep, nkosazana. I will be right here."
He wrapped his arms around me, and I rested my head on his chest. His heartbeat was steady and strong beneath my ear.
"Qondanisa?"
"Yes?"
"This was the best night of my life."
He kissed my forehead. "It is just the beginning, Mapaseka. Just the beginning."
We fell asleep in each other's arms, completely content.
Comments
Post a Comment