CHAPTER 25: THE SURPRISE DELIVERY
Narrated by Mapaseka Mokoena
The morning dragged on forever. I sat at my desk, staring at my laptop screen, unable to focus on anything. My mind kept drifting back to Albert Street. To Q Squared Mechanics, to Qondanisa.
“ I am going to go back today," I told myself. “ I am going to see him and apologise."
But I had not moved, I had been sitting here for hours, frozen, too nervous to leave. What would I say to him? What if he did not want to see me? What if I had messed everything up?
I sighed and rubbed my hands.
“ Mapaseka, you are a businesswoman. You close million-rand deals. You can face one man."
But he was not just any man, he was Qondanisa and I had been so wrong about him.
My intercom buzzed, startling me. I pressed the button.
"Yes, Naledi?"
“ Mapaseka, there is a delivery person here for you. Security called. They said he has a package for you, but he insists on delivering it in person."
I was confused.
"A delivery person? From where?"
“ He did not say, he just said it is very important. Should I let him in?"
I hesitated. I was not expecting any deliveries. But maybe it was a client sending something.
"Yes, let him in. Tell him to bring it to my office."
“ Okay. I will send him up."
A few minutes later, there was a knock on my door.
"Come in," I called without looking up.
The door opened, and I heard someone walk in. I continued typing, not bothering to look up.
"Just put it on the table," I said. "I will sign for it in a moment."
The person did not move, I looked up and my heart stopped. Standing in my office, wearing a delivery uniform and a cap pulled low over his face, was a man. He was holding a large bag from an expensive restaurant—the kind of place where a single meal cost fortune. But it was not the bag that caught my attention. It was the smile. That smile, I knew that smile.
"Good afternoon, maMokoena," he said, his voice low and warm. "I have a special delivery for you."
I stared at him, my mouth hanging open.
"Qondanisa?"
He pulled off the cap, and there he was. Those eyes and that smile that made my heart race.
"Sawubona, nkosazana," he said softly. "Unjani?"
I could not speak, I breathed then I laughed. I laughed so hard I almost cried. This incredible, impossible man had dressed up as a delivery person just to see me. He had brought me lunch.
"Qondanisa!" I shouted.
I stood up so fast my chair nearly toppled over. I ran around my desk and threw my arms around him. He caught me, laughing, and held me tight.
he whispered in my ear. "You missed me?"
"I missed you so much," I said, burying my face in his neck. "Why did you not call me? I thought you were no longer interested in me."
He pulled back and looked into my eyes.
"I was waiting for you to reach out," he said softly. "I did not want to feel like I was pressuring you. You made it clear you did not want to go on that date. I did not want to force myself on you."
I shook my head.
"I was stupid, I was scared. I judged you and I thought you were not good enough for me. "
He silenced me with a kiss. His lips were soft and warm, his hands cradled my face like I was something precious. I melted into him, my body pressing against his, my hands gripping his shoulders.
When we finally pulled apart, I was breathless.
"I love you, Mapaseka," he said softly.
I smiled, tears pricking at my eyes.
"I love you too, Qondanisa."
I pulled away and walked to my office door I locked it.
"Better," I said, turning to face him. "We can finish later."
He raised an eyebrow.
"Finish what?"
"This," I said, gesturing between us. "But right now, I have a meeting in thirty minutes, and you brought me food. So let us eat."
He laughed.
"Okay, nkosazana. Whatever you say."
We sat down on the small couch in my office. He opened the bag and pulled out containers of food. The smell was incredible—grilled fish, rice, vegetables, something that smelled like curry.
"This is from that restaurant in Sandton," I said, my eyes wide. "The one that is always fully booked."
"I know," he said. "I called in a favour."
"You called in a favour for me?"
"Mapaseka, I would do anything for you."
I felt my heart swell.
We ate together, talking and laughing. The food was delicious, but I could barely taste it. I was too distracted by him. The way he looked at me, his smile. The way his hand kept finding mine under the table.
After we had finished, I thanked him.
"Thank you for this," I said. “ Thank you for the food, your presence, everything.”
He smiled.
"You are welcome, nkosazana."
I looked at him, and for the first time, I felt completely at peace.
"So," I said. "My place or yours?"
He laughed.
"Your place," he said. "I want to see where you live, I want to see your world."
"Okay," I said. “Tonight after work."
He stood up and pulled me into his arms.
"I cannot wait," he whispered.
He kissed me again—a slow, deep kiss that made my knees weak. Then he pulled away, put his cap back on, and winked at me.
"I will see you tonight, nkosazana."
And he was gone, I stood there my hand on my lips, my heart racing. And tonight I would see him again.
Comments
Post a Comment