Chapter 8: Rebuilding Trust
Mbali spent the next few days resting in the church’s safe house, a modest but peaceful building tucked behind the main church. It was far removed from the chaos of the brothel and the harshness of the streets, offering her the first taste of true safety in what felt like forever. The sanctuary was calm, with soft light filtering through stained glass windows, and the scent of incense lingering in the air. It was a stark contrast to the grungy brothel where she had lived for so long.
Mbali (thinking): "Why me? Why do I deserve this? After everything… how can I accept kindness like this?"
As she lay on the small bed in the safe house, her body still recovering from her ordeal, her thoughts were consumed with guilt. She didn’t feel deserving of this kindness. But Pastor Mandla’s unwavering compassion kept her grounded. He hadn’t asked questions or judged her. He had simply taken her in, offering her a chance to heal.
Mandla knew that keeping her in the church was a risk. The church board would disapprove of his decision, and some members of his congregation would surely question his actions.
Mandla (to himself, quietly): “I see myself in her. That same brokenness… that same quiet need for redemption.”
But he couldn’t bring himself to send her away. He saw the brokenness in her eyes, a reflection of his own internal struggles. And somewhere deep within, he believed she deserved a chance to rebuild her life just as he wished for a second chance in his own troubled marriage.
Mandla visited the safe house every day, bringing Mbali food and talking with her about her life and her past. Though she was hesitant at first, Mbali soon began to open up.
Mbali (quietly, avoiding his gaze): “It started when I moved to the city… I thought it was a real job. I didn’t know what I was walking into.”
Mandla (nodding gently): “You don’t have to tell me everything at once. Just what you’re ready to share.”
Mbali (voice trembling): “They took my ID… my phone. I couldn’t leave even when I tried. And when I did… they hurt me. I don’t know who I am anymore.”
Each time she spoke, it felt like a weight was lifting off her chest.
But Mandla didn’t just want to listen. He wanted to help her rebuild.
Mandla (encouragingly): “You ever think about working in a store? Something simple to start with? I can help with applications.”
Mbali (skeptical): “Me? Who would hire someone like me?”
Mandla (gently but firm): “Someone who’s brave enough to survive what you did can learn anything. You’re not who they said you were. You’re more.”
He helped her apply for retail jobs, guiding her through the process and reassuring her that she was capable of finding work beyond the life she had known.
Despite his own marital difficulties, he found solace in helping her regain some of the confidence she had lost over the years. Every small success felt like a victory whether it was finding her a job interview or simply watching her take the first steps toward healing. Still, Mbali struggled with self-doubt.
Mbali (whispering to herself): “I’ll never be clean… no matter how many new clothes I wear or how many interviews I get.”
She couldn’t shake the fear that her past would always define her.
Mbali (to Mandla, hesitating): “What if they find out? What I used to do? What if it follows me?”
Mandla (looking her in the eye): “Then you tell them who you are now not who you used to be. Your past doesn't get to write your future, Mbali. You do.”
He shared stories of redemption, of people who had found new paths despite their brokenness.
Mandla (smiling faintly): “You know, some of the strongest people in the Bible were broken too prodigals, thieves, outcasts. But God used them anyway.”
And slowly, she began to believe that maybe just maybe she could start over.
Mbali ( to herself): “I want that. A new life. I just don’t know how to begin.”
Comments
Post a Comment