Advertisement

Chapter 8: The Breaking Point

 



Lerato stood outside Sabelo’s apartment, her heart pounding as she clutched the bag of groceries she had bought to surprise him. She had been trying to reconnect with him, to make things work for the sake of their baby. But when she knocked on the door, it wasn’t Sabelo who answered. It was a woman beautiful, confident, and wearing one of Sabelo’s shirts.


Woman: “Can I help you?” 


the woman asked, her tone polite but dismissive. Lerato’s stomach dropped. 


Lerato: “I—I’m here to see Sabelo. Is he home?” 


The woman smiled, though it didn’t reach her eyes.


Woman: “He’s in the shower. I’m his girlfriend. And you are?” 


Lerato felt like the ground had been ripped out from under her. 


Lerato: “His… girlfriend?” 


The woman’s smile faltered. 


Woman: “Wait. Are you… Lerato?” 


Lerato nodded, tears welling in her eyes. 


Lerato: “Yes. And I’m pregnant with his child.” 


The woman’s expression hardened. 



Woman: “Well, that’s interesting. Because so am I.” 



Lerato stumbled back, her mind reeling. She dropped the bag of groceries and ran to her car, tears streaming down her face. Sabelo had lied to her, betrayed her, and now she was left to pick up the pieces.



Zee sat at her desk, trying to focus on work, but her mind kept drifting to the note on her windshield and the threatening messages from Sipho. She had been on edge all day, jumping at every sound.

When she heard a commotion in the hallway, she didn’t think much of it until Sipho burst into her office. 


Sipho: “Zee, we need to talk,” 


he said, his voice low and urgent. She stood, her heart racing. 


Zee: “Sipho, what are you doing here? You can’t just show up at my job!” 


He stepped closer, his eyes blazing. 


Sipho: “You’ve been ignoring me. Blocking me. I’m not going to let you shut me out.” 


Zee reached for her phone, her hands shaking. 


Zee: “If you don’t leave right now, I’m calling security.” 


Sipho laughed, though there was no humour in it. 


Sipho: “Go ahead. Call them. But this isn’t over, Zee. You’re mine, whether you like it or not.” 





She pressed the button on her desk phone, and within minutes, security arrived to escort Sipho out. But as he left, he turned to her, his voice cold. 


Sipho: “You’ll regret this.” 


Later, Zee listened to the voicemail he had left on her phone:


 Sipho: “You think you can hide from me? You’re wrong. I’ll always find you.” 


She blocked the number, but the fear lingered. Sipho wasn’t going to stop, and she wasn’t sure how much longer she could hold him off.



Thando sat at her kitchen table, staring at the photo in her hands. It was a clear shot of her and Mlungisi together, their faces close, their intimacy undeniable. The private investigator had sent it to her with a note: R50,000, or this goes to his wife.Her hands shook as she dialled Mlungisi’s number. 


Thando: “We have a problem,” 


she said when he answered. 


Mlungisi: “What now?” 


he asked, his tone impatient.


Thando: “A private investigator sent me a photo of us. He’s demanding money to keep quiet.” 


There was a long pause on the other end. 


Mlungisi: “How much?” 


Thando: “Fifty thousand,” 



Thando said, her voice barely above a whisper. Mlungisi sighed.


Mlungisi: “I’ll handle it. Just… stay out of sight for a while. And don’t contact me unless it’s an emergency.” 


Thando nodded, though he couldn’t see her.


Thando: “Okay. But Mlungisi… what if this doesn’t go away?”


Mlungisi: “It will, I’ll make sure of it.”


he said firmly. As she hung up, Thando couldn’t shake the feeling that things were spiralling out of control. She had risked everything for this affair, and now she was paying the price.














Comments