Chapter 7: The Edge of the Abyss
Buhle sat in Vusi’s car, her heart pounding as she stared at the folder in her hands. It was labeled Confidential, and she had found it tucked under the passenger seat when she dropped her earring. She glanced at the door of the restaurant where Vusi had gone to grab takeout. He would be back any minute, but she couldn’t resist the urge to look inside. The folder was filled with documents, bank statements, contracts, and what looked like offshore account details. Her stomach churned as she scanned the pages. There were names she didn’t recognise, large sums of money, and references to investments that sounded anything but legal.
Vusi: “What are you doing?”
Buhle jumped, slamming the folder shut. Vusi stood at the open car door, his expression unreadable.
Buhle: “I—I dropped my earring, I found this folder under the seat. What is it?”
she stammered, holding it up. Vusi’s eyes narrowed as he took the folder from her.
Vusi: “It’s work stuff. Confidential, like it says. You shouldn’t be going through my things, Buhle.”
She felt a flicker of anger.
Buhle: “I wasn’t going through your things. I found it by accident. But since we’re on the topic, what’s in there, Vusi? What are you hiding?”
He sighed, running a hand through his hair.
Vusi: “You’re overthinking this. It’s just business. Complicated, boring business. Can we drop it?”
Buhle wanted to press further, but the look in his eyes stopped her. There was something cold, almost threatening, in his gaze.
Buhle: “Fine, Let’s just go.”
she said softly. But as they drove home, Buhle couldn’t shake the feeling that she was sitting next to a stranger a man with secrets she wasn’t sure she wanted to uncover.
Lerato stood in the living room, her arms crossed as she faced Sabelo.
Lerato: “I saw you at the club, Sabelo. Don’t lie to me again.”
Sabelo sighed, his expression one of exaggerated patience.
Sabelo: “Lerato, I told you, it was a business meeting. Why are you so paranoid?”
Lerato: “Paranoid?. You’re the one lying to me! You said you were at a meeting, but you were at a club. With your friends. Don’t tell me I’m imagining things.”
she snapped. He stepped closer, his voice softening.
Sabelo: “Baby, you’re pregnant. Your hormones are all over the place. I get it. But you need to trust me. I’m not lying to you.”
Lerato’s eyes filled with tears.
Lerato: “Then why do I feel like you’re hiding something? Why do I feel like I can’t trust you?”
Sabelo pulled her into a hug, his tone soothing.
Sabelo: “You’re overreacting. Everything’s fine. I love you, and I’m here for you. That’s all that matters, right?”
She wanted to believe him, but his words felt hollow. Still, she nodded, burying her face in his chest.
Lerato: “I just want us to be okay,”
she whispered.
Sabelo: “We are,”
he said, kissing the top of her head.
Sabelo: “We’re more than okay.”
But as Lerato clung to him, she couldn’t shake the feeling that she was losing herself and the truth in his lies.
Zee stood in the parking lot, staring at the note on her windshield. The words were scrawled in bold, black letters:
“ I’m always watching.” Her hands shook as she crumpled the note and threw it to the ground. Sipho was escalating, and she didn’t know what to do. Her phone buzzed with a message from
Mandla: “ Hey, how’s it going? Want to grab coffee?”
Zee hesitated, then typed a reply:
Zee: “Not today. I’m dealing with some stuff.”
Mandla’s response came quickly:
Mandla: “Anything I can help with?”
She stared at the screen, torn. Part of her wanted to confide in him, but another part was afraid of dragging him into her mess. Before she could reply, another message popped up this one from an unknown number: “You can’t hide from me, Zee.” She blocked the number, but the fear lingered. Sipho wasn’t going to stop, and she wasn’t sure how much longer she could keep pretending everything was fine. Thando sat on her couch, staring at her phone. The second warning message had come through an hour ago, and it was even more chilling than the first. “You’re playing with fire.” She had no idea who was sending these messages, but the timing was too coincidental. Mlungisi’s wife knew something or at least suspected something. Her phone buzzed with a call from Mlungisi. She hesitated, then answered.
Mlungisi: “Thando, we need to talk, my wife… she’s asking questions. I think she knows.”
he said, his voice tense. Thando’s heart raced.
Thando: “What are we going to do?”
Mlungisi: “I’ll handle it,”
Mlungisi said.
Thando: “Just… stay low for a while. Don’t contact me unless it’s an emergency.”
She nodded, though he couldn’t see her.
Thando: “Okay. But Mlungisi… be careful.”
Mlungisi: “You too,”
He said before hanging up. As Thando set her phone down, she couldn’t shake the feeling that things were about to explode. She was playing with fire, and the flames were getting closer.
Comments
Post a Comment