Chapter 7: The celebration
Narrated by Mapaseka
A few months passed, and before I knew it, my little consulting business had grown into something I had once only dreamed about. Most of my new clients came through referrals. People who had worked with me recommended me to others, and slowly my company built a reputation. I hired employees and delegated some responsibilities, but running a business was nothing like being an employee. When you are employed, you can switch off at the end of the day. When you own the company, you carry everything with you, the clients and salaries.
Even in bed, I found myself thinking about invoices and presentations. There were days when I missed the simplicity of working for someone else. And because I was so consumed by work, I hardly had time for myself, Or my friends especially Lerato. One Saturday afternoon, my phone rang.
"Don't tell me you're working again," Lerato said before I could even greet her.
I laughed.
"What if I am?"
"Then close that laptop immediately. We are celebrating tonight."
"Celebrating what?"
"Your success, Madam CEO. I have not seen you in three months. At this point, I am considering making an appointment with your secretary."
I burst out laughing.
"Fine."
"No excuses. Seven o'clock."
By evening, I stood in my bedroom staring at my closet. I honestly couldn't remember the last time I had dressed up for something that wasn't a business event. My mansion, which had once felt like an achievement, now mostly felt quiet. Sometimes I would walk through the large rooms and wonder why one person needed so much space. I shook the thought away and focused on getting ready. I chose a fitted navy-blue dress and a pair of elegant heels. I styled my hair and applied my makeup carefully. Looking at myself in the mirror, I smiled.
"Not bad, Mapaseka," I said.
"But you seriously need a life."
An hour later, I arrived at the restaurant and found Lerato already seated.
"Finally!" she said dramatically. "Ladies and gentlemen, she still remembers her friends."
We hugged and laughed. "I've missed you," she said. "I've missed you too," I replied.
We ordered food and a bottle of champagne. Lerato raised her glass. "To Mapaseka Mokoena," she said. I raised mine. "To surviving," I said. She shook her head and corrected me. "No," she said. "To thriving." We laughed and clinked our glasses together.
She spoke softly. "I'm proud of you," she said. "Thank you," I replied. "I mean it," she continued. "You have achieved so much." I smiled at her words. "I still feel like I have a long way to go," I admitted. She nodded knowingly. "You always will," she said. "That is who you are."
We spent an hour catching up and laughing about old memories. Then Lerato suddenly narrowed her eyes at me. "What?" I asked. She leaned in closer. "My dear," she said, "you have achieved a lot." I smiled proudly. "I know," I said. Then she added, "But now you need a man." I almost spat out my drink. "Lerato!" I exclaimed. She looked at me innocently. "What?" she asked. "I am serious," she insisted.
I laughed at her. "You sound like my mother," I said. She smiled back at me. "Your mother is right," she said. I rolled my eyes at her. "Please don't start," I begged. She ignored my plea. "Mapaseka," she said, "you are thirty-four." I sighed deeply. "There it is," I whispered.
"No, listen to me," she continued. "Time is moving. If you want children one day, you cannot postpone your personal life forever." She leaned forward across the table. "But who are you coming home to?" she asked.
I burst out laughing. "My cleaning lady," I said. Lerato laughed so hard she almost spilled her wine. "Poor woman!" she exclaimed. "She did not sign up for that." We both laughed together. Then her expression became serious again. "My friend," she said gently, "you have accomplished so much. You deserve someone to share that beautiful lonely mansion with."
I smiled at her kindness. "When you put it like that," I said, "it sounds sad." She nodded firmly. "It is sad," she agreed. We laughed again.
"So tell me," she said, changing the subject. "How is the search for Mr. Perfect?" I smiled proudly. She raised an eyebrow at me. "Are you looking for a husband or recruiting for Parliament?" she teased. I burst out laughing. "I'm serious," I said. "So am I," she replied with a smile.
She took a sip of her wine. "There is nothing wrong with standards," she said. "But I think your list is becoming a wall." I shook my head. "It is not a wall," I argued. "It is," she insisted. She set down her glass. "You know," she said carefully, "after Kabelo, you stopped dating completely." I became quiet. "Can you blame me?" I asked. "No," she answered gently.
She paused for a moment. "And not every man is waiting to humiliate you," she said. I sighed heavily. "Easy for you to say," I replied. She shook her head. "No, it isn't," she said. "Love is risky for everybody." She smiled warmly at me. "Start dating again," she urged.
“Friend you have to start looking for your mr perfect do not wait for him to find you”
"And where exactly am I supposed to find this man?" I asked. She smiled widely. "Online," she said.
I nearly choked on my drink. "Online dating?" I asked in disbelief. "Yes," she confirmed. "People are crazy," I said. She laughed loudly. "So are you," she shot back. We both laughed together.
"I'm serious," she continued. "Don't rush anything. Just meet people, have conversations." I raised an eyebrow at her. "And if I get kidnapped?" I asked. She burst out laughing. "I'll come with you," she said. "You?" I asked doubtfully. "Yes," she confirmed. "I'll sit at another table pretending not to know you."
I laughed so hard that tears formed in my eyes. "And do what?" I asked. "Take notes?" She nodded eagerly. "Exactly," she said. "If he starts talking nonsense, I'll send you a warning text." I shook my head at her. "You're impossible," I said. She smiled brightly. "I'm loyal," she said. We laughed until people at nearby tables started looking at us.
Eventually, Lerato wiped tears from her eyes. "Promise me something," she said. "What?" I asked. She looked at me seriously. "Promise me you won't close yourself off forever," she said. I looked down at my glass. "I'll try," I said quietly. She pointed a finger at me. "No," she said firmly. "Promise." I smiled at her persistence. "I promise," I said.
We finally called for the bill. Lerato reached for her purse. "No," I said firmly. "Let me pay." She shook her head. "Absolutely not," she said. "I invited you out. I am paying." I opened my mouth to argue. "Don't even think about it," she added with a smile. She placed her card on the table before I could stop her. I laughed and gave up. "Fine," I said. "But next time, I am paying." She nodded. "Deal," she said.
We gathered our things and walked toward the entrance. The restaurant was still busy. Other people were laughing and talking around us. The warm lights from the restaurant spilled out onto the pavement. We stepped outside together. She waved goodbye. "Goodnight, Mapaseka," she said. "Goodnight, Lerato," I said. She got into her car and drove away. I stood there for a moment, watching her car disappear around the corner.
Then I turned and walked toward my own car. The night was quiet around me. The city lights twinkled in the distance. I unlocked my car door and got inside. I sat there for a moment, thinking about our conversation. Lerato was right, I had closed myself off after Kabelo. I had built walls around my heart, I had convinced myself that being alone was safer. But sitting in my car that night, something felt different. Something felt lighter, I started the engine and pulled out onto the road. The drive home was peaceful. The city passed by outside my window. I thought about what Lerato had said about online dating. The idea still scared me, but for the first time, I did not completely push it away.
Maybe it was time to try something new, stop hiding behind my success. I pulled into my driveway and parked the car. The house stood before me, big and quiet as always. But tonight, it did not feel so empty. Tonight, I felt a small spark of hope. I walked inside and locked the door behind me. I turned on the lights one by one. The house slowly came to life around me. I smiled to myself.
"I made a promise," I whispered. "And I plan to keep it."
Comments
Post a Comment