CHAPTER 65: The Accusation
Nomalanga’s POV
A week after Sizwe and I settled back into Ballito, I asked him to take me home to Umlazi. I needed to see my parents it had been a long time since I’d been away. I knew I no longer had a place there, but sitting with them, talking, and being present was what I needed. While Sizwe was talking with my dad, Mbali arrived. She was breathless when she saw me, pulling me into a tight hug like she’d been holding it in for days.
Mbali: “I’ve been trying to call you, half-laughing, half-relieved.”
Nomalanga: “ I was on honeymoon. Then we went to Empangeni for ukukotiza. My network didn’t work there at all.”
Her expression softened immediately.
Mbali: “That explains it. I thought you were avoiding me.”
We sat with my mother for a while, talking about small things, laughing the way we always did. But Mbali kept glancing at me, like she was waiting for a moment that hadn’t arrived yet.
When we finally stood up to leave the room, she touched my arm.
Mbali: “Can we talk?, just you and me.”
Outside, away from everyone, her excitement faded. She wrapped her arms around herself, suddenly unsure.
Mbali: “I didn’t want to bring this up during the wedding, and then I couldn’t reach you.”
Nomalanga frowned.
Nomalanga: “Bring up what?”
Mbali hesitated, then spoke quietly.
Mbali: “It’s about Nelly.”
Something in her voice made my stomach tighten.
Mbali: “I’m worried, I think something happened to her.”
I straightened.
Nomalanga: “Everyone’s worried.”
Mbali shook her head.
Mbali: “No. I mean… I think she’s in danger. Or was.”
Silence stretched between us.
Mbali: “She was seeing Khaya, did you know that?”
My heart skipped.
Nomalanga: “She never talk to me about her relationships, she was so close to you.”
Mbali: “She was scared, scared of how he’d react if he found out the truth.”
The words settled between us like something dropped and shattered.
Mbali: “I spoke to Khaya at your wedding, he told me he went looking for her at her workplace but didn’t find her. She was ignoring his calls, and he hasn’t heard from her since.”
I took a step back.
Nomalanga: “Are you accusing my brother-in-law of something terrible?”
Mbali: “I’m saying it doesn’t make sense. After your wedding, I went to the apartment she was renting. They told me she was supposed to leave the day after, but she left earlier than planned and the way she left was strange. I’m still surprised that she could leave without saying goodbye to her friends or family, just to move to another province.”
Nomalanga: “ So what do you think happened?”.
Mbali: “I think Khaya found Nelly before she left and discovered the truth, that she wasn’t who he thought she was. You know how proud Khaya is as a Zulu man. Imagine what he could do if he found out he had been dating a man.”
My hands shook.
Nomalanga: “You don’t know my family.”
Mbali: “I know Noma, I know when something feels wrong.”
I turned away, my voice sharp with anger.
Nomalanga: “You’re wrong. And you should never say this again.”
I left her standing there, the words burning in my ears. That night, as Sizwe and I drove back from Umlazi to our home in Ballito, sleep felt very far away. The road stretched ahead of us, dark and familiar, but my mind refused to rest. Because doubt, once planted, doesn’t need proof. It only needs time.
Comments
Post a Comment