Chapter 6: Building Myself
Narrated by Mapaseka
People often talk about success as if it happens overnight, as if one day you simply wake up and everything falls into place. That is not how my story unfolded. For me, success was not a moment. It was a series of decisions I made quietly, while I was still healing from heartbreak and trying to understand who I was without Kabelo. After everything ended, I had two choices, I could break down and stay broken, or I could rebuild myself into something stronger. I chose to rebuild, not because I felt powerful, but because I had nothing else left that I trusted. I started where I was, I did not leave my job immediately because I still needed stability, but I stopped seeing it as just employment. I began treating it as training. I arrived earlier than everyone else and stayed later than I was required to. I studied how the business operated, how clients were handled, how decisions were made, and how money moved through the system. I stopped doing only what I was told and started learning everything I could from everything around me.
Then I focused on building skill. I began volunteering for difficult projects that others avoided. I did not choose the easy tasks anymore because I realised that comfort does not build competence. Pressure does, every difficult assignment taught me something new about problem-solving, communication, and leadership. Slowly, I stopped being just another employee and started becoming someone people relied on during important decisions.
I also started observing the bigger picture. In meetings, I paid attention not only to my responsibilities but also to how entire systems worked. I noticed that most business failures were not caused by lack of money, but by lack of structure, poor communication, and weak planning. That realisation changed how I thought. I stopped thinking like someone who only executes tasks and started thinking like someone who builds systems.
After a while, I began working on small projects outside of my job. At first, they were simple freelance tasks in consulting and administration. I helped small business owners organise their finances, structure their operations, and improve their planning. These projects were not glamorous, but they were mine. For the first time, I saw that people were willing to pay for my thinking and my ability to solve problems.
That was when I made my next decision. I registered my first business. I called it Mapaseka Consulting Services. It was simple and practical, without any fancy branding or image. I told no one in the beginning because I needed to know whether I could build something real without validation from others.
Every cent I earned from those early projects went back into the business. I did not spend it on lifestyle or luxury. I invested it into tools, software, learning materials, and anything that would help me improve my work. I did not feel poor during that time. I felt focused, and there is a difference between the two.
The hardest part was learning how to sell myself. I had always been an employee, not a business owner. Now I had to convince people to choose me. I wrote proposals, sent emails, and pitched ideas that were often rejected. At first, the rejection hurt, but over time I understood that clarity matters more than perfection. When I stopped trying to sound perfect and started communicating clearly, people began to respond differently.
Then I got my first serious client. A small company needed help restructuring its operations, and the work was messy and urgent. I treated it as my opportunity to prove myself. I worked day and night without rest, building solutions and fixing problems that had been ignored for years. When I finally presented my work, the client looked at me and said he had been looking for someone like me for a long time. That one project led to another, and then another. Slowly, my name began to circulate in professional spaces. I was no longer just an employee with ideas. I was becoming a consultant people trusted.
One evening, I sat alone in my office and looked around at what I had built. There was no celebration or applause, only quiet achievement. I realised then that I had not become successful because I was fearless. I had become successful because I kept going even while I was afraid. My phone buzzed with a message from Lerato. She said she had heard about my company and finally acknowledged what I had built. I smiled, but even as I looked out of the window, I understood something important. I had built success to protect myself from pain, but in doing so, I had also built walls so high that almost nothing could easily reach me anymore. And at that time, I did not yet realise that life always finds a way to test the walls we build… especially when we least expect it.
Comments
Post a Comment