Advertisement

Chapter 5: The Almost Perfect Man

 


Narrated by Mapaseka


There are people who enter your life quietly. And there are people who arrive like destiny itself has announced them. Kabelo was the second type. I still remember the first time I met him. It was at a business networking event in Sandton. The kind of place where everyone smiles too much, shakes hands too firmly, and pretends they are not judging each other’s shoes. I was not looking for anyone. I never am,  but he found me anyway.

“Mapaseka Mokoena,” he said, stepping beside me like he already belonged there. “I’ve heard a lot about you.”

I turned to look at him. He was polished,  that is the only word that made sense at the time. Clean suit, calm voice and perfect posture. The kind of man who never seems rushed by life.

“I hope it was good things,” I replied.

He smiled. “Depends who you ask. Successful women scare people.”

That line made me laugh before I could stop myself. And that was the beginning,  not love yet just ease. For the first time in a long time, a conversation did not feel like work. He spoke about investments, expansion, strategy. He understood my world without me having to explain it. That was dangerous, because when someone understands your language too easily, you stop guarding your heart. After that night, he started appearing everywhere. Lunch meetings that turned into dinner. Dinner that turned into long drives through quiet Johannesburg nights. He always knew what to say.


“I like women who don’t need to be saved,” he once told me.

I remember looking at him and thinking: Finally,  someone who sees me properly. My mother loved him immediately.

“My child,” she said after meeting him, “this one is a man,  not a boy.”

Even my aunts stopped asking questions for a while,  that should have been my warning. Because when everyone agrees too quickly, something is usually being missed. But I didn’t see it then,  I was too comfortable. Too convinced, hopeful that Kabelo was everything ,educated,  ambitious,  respectful and family-oriented.  He never raised his voice,  embarrassed me in public. He always opened doors,  always remember the  details. He even spoke about marriage before I did.

“I don’t want to waste time,” he told me one evening. “I know what I want.”

I remember laughing nervously, because I thought that meant me. He proposed on a Sunday afternoon,  it was simple,  elegant and private. Just a ring and a question I had already answered in my heart.

“Yes,” I said.

And I meant it,  For a while, everything felt right. We planned a life that looked like stability. Two successful people building something powerful together. My family was happy,  his family was polite,  we were perfect. Or so I believe, but perfection has a strange habit of hiding cracks where you least expect them.

It started small,  late nights at work,  phone calls he stepped outside to answer. Smiles that didn’t reach his eyes,  I told myself I was imagining things. Because women like me—strong, successful women—are always told the same thing:

“You overthink, intimidate men.”

So I adjusted myself,  until I was no longer questioning anything.  I was simply trusting. Then came the night that changed everything. He said he was working late  again. I changed into something simple and decided to surprise him. I bought his favorite food on the way. I even smiled to myself in traffic thinking how he would look when he saw me. I imagined him laughing,  calling me dramatic, pulling me into his arms. That is what love should feel like, I thought. The lights were on,  music was playing softly  and there was laughter. A woman’s laughter,  I stood still outside the door. Not breathing properly,  just listening. Then I opened it,  and everything I thought I had was already gone before I even stepped inside. Kabelo was there,  not alone. The details after that are blurry in my memory. Not because I don’t remember,  but because my mind refused to store all of it at once. Kabelo was there,  on the couch, and next to him was her,  my friend Kea. And Kabelo so calm,  too calm like he had rehearsed the moment.

“I can explain,” he said.

But there are moments in life where explanation is irrelevant. Because the truth is already standing in front of you. I remember my voice more than anything else.

“Do not explain anything,” I said.

Because if I let him speak too long, I knew I would break in a way I could not repair. I removed the ring before I even finished speaking. And placed it on the table, no tears, just silence.The kind that changes a person permanently. As I walked out, I heard him call my name once.

“Mapaseka…”

But I did not turn back,  I never did,  That was the end. Or what I thought was the end. Because heartbreak does not end when you leave. It follows you,  it changes how you see kindness, how you interpret attention. How you build rules around your own heart. That is where the list came from.



Comments