Advertisement

Chapter 44: A Reunion at Shisanyama

 





The familiar sounds of laughter, music, and sizzling meat filled the air as Thando entered the bustling shisanyama in Johannesburg. The place was alive with energy friends and families gathered around long tables, sharing food and stories. The smell of grilled meat, spicy chutney, and braai sauce filled the air, making her stomach rumble. It was here, at this very spot, where she and her closest friends Zee, Buhle, and Lerato had spent many carefree afternoons before her life had been ripped apart.

As she walked into the vibrant scene, she spotted them almost immediately. Buhle, with her infectious smile, waved enthusiastically from their regular corner. Zee, always the joker, playfully tossed a piece of meat in the air before catching it with exaggerated flair. Lerato, calm and composed as ever, looked up from her phone and greeted her with a warm smile.

Zee: “Thando!, It’s been too long, girl! You look so different now!"


Zee called out, standing up to pull her into a tight hug. Thando laughed, the sound carrying a mixture of joy and relief. 

Thando: “It’s been way too long, Zee.” 

she said, feeling the familiar warmth of her friends’ presence. Buhle stood up next, giving Thando a long hug and playfully pinching her cheek. 

Buhle: “I almost didn’t recognise you! Look at you, back in one piece.”

she teased, her eyes twinkling with both concern and affection. Lerato, ever the quiet one, nodded in greeting before pulling her into a hug. 

Lerato: “We missed you, sis. It’s good to have you back.”


Thando’s heart swelled with gratitude as she settled into the seat they had reserved for her. As they all sat down, the familiar plates of meat, pap, and chakalaka were placed in front of them. Thando couldn’t help but smile, this moment, this place, felt like the first taste of normalcy in so long.

Zee: “So, tell us everything, Thando, you’ve been through hell, but you’re here now. We’re just glad you’re safe.”


Zee said, leaning in with wide eyes. Thando took a deep breath, her fingers playing with the rim of her glass. She had been through so much, and there was still a part of her that wasn’t sure how to tell her friends everything. But seeing their concerned faces gave her the courage she needed.

Thando: “It was… it was a nightmare, I was taken. Trapped in a club, sold to the highest bidder. They... they were part of this huge human trafficking ring. I didn’t know how to get out. I was sold like a piece of property.”


she began, her voice steady but laced with emotion. Thando met her gaze. 

Thando: “Marco saved me. He’s the reason I’m here. He’s been my protector, my guide through all of this.”

The name felt different now, like something more. Her heart fluttered just thinking about him. Buhle shook her head in disbelief. 

Buhle: “Marco? You’ve got a man to thank for your freedom?”

Thando nodded. 

Thando: “Yes. He was part of a larger operation, trying to bring down the trafficking network. He found me, helped me escape. He got me out of there, even though it meant putting himself at risk. And then… he helped me with everything, getting me away, getting 


the chip out of me. He’s the reason I’m alive, and why I’m here, talking to you.”

Lerato, who had been silent for a moment, finally spoke, her voice calm yet intense. 

Lerato: “You know… you’re lucky to have found someone like him. But you need to be careful, Thando. Not all heroes wear capes. You have to be sure of his intentions. He saved you, but that doesn’t mean he’s not hiding something.”

Thando nodded thoughtfully, her gaze drifting to the table.

Thando: “I’ve thought about that too, Lerato. But I know Marco. I’ve been through too much with him not to trust him. He’s shown me nothing but care, nothing but kindness. I know he’s not like the others.”

Zee smiled softly, placing a hand on Thando’s.

Zee: “It sounds like he really cares about you. But we just want you to be sure, sis. You’ve been through so much don’t let anyone make you feel less than you are.”

Thando squeezed Zee’s hand, grateful for her unwavering support. 

Thando: “I know. I’m not rushing into anything. I’m just… letting things happen, one step at a time.”

The conversation shifted as they all began to catch up on the things they’d missed in each other’s lives, from job updates to relationships. The laughter and easy camaraderie filled the gaps in their conversation, and for a few hours, Thando forgot about the weight of her past.


As the night wore on, they shared another round of drinks, and Thando realised something important her life, her new beginning, didn’t just depend on Marco. It was about the people who had always been there for her. Her friends. Her family. They were her anchor, the ones who helped her see that she was more than the nightmare she had lived through.

Before they parted ways, Zee pulled Thando aside, her smile softer now. 

Zee: “We’re here for you, no matter what. And if you ever need help with Marco or anything, just know we’ve got your back.”

Thando smiled, feeling a warmth in her chest. 

Thando: “Thank you. I need to hear that.”

As the three women left the shisanyama, Thando felt a sense of peace she hadn’t realised she was missing. She wasn’t alone in this. Marco had rescued her, but her friends were the ones who reminded her that she had the power to move forward, one step at a time. And with that, she was ready to face whatever came next, knowing that love and support were always just a call away.










Comments