Chapter 4: Drawing The Line
Narrated by Mapaseka
Before I became the woman people now call “too successful” or “intimidating,” I was just Mapaseka trying to survive.
I had a job then, not a company, just a position in a corporate office where I worked hard and tried to prove myself every single day. That is where I met Thabo, he was not my colleague, but he was always around the building. A supplier type, a man who always had access to places without fully belonging to them. The first time he spoke to me, it was in the elevator.
“You look like someone who never eats lunch properly,” he said casually.
I was confused. “And you look like someone who talks too much.”
He laughed, that should have been the end of it, but it wasn’t. After that, he started showing up during my lunch breaks. Sometimes he would wait outside my office with food already ordered. Other times, he would send delivery drivers to bring expensive meals with notes like:
“Don’t skip lunch. You work too hard.”
At first, I told myself he was kind, but he was also confident in a way that made it clear he believed money could create access to people. To attention, maybe even to love, I was not financially stable then, not like I am now, but I could take care of myself. I paid my bills, I worked overtime, I was building something, even if I didn’t know what it would become yet. So when he started taking me to nice places, I didn’t refuse. Not because I was impressed, but because I didn’t see harm in it.
We were not really dating, not officially, we were something in between. Talking, spending time together and testing something that had no name yet. Then came the day everything changed. It was one of the most important days at work for me. I had been preparing for a big client presentation for weeks. Slides ready, data checked, confidence built slowly through sleepless nights and pressure.
That morning I felt ready, I stood in the boardroom presenting, fully focused. My voice was steady, my hands were controlled. I was winning that room. Then the door opened, at first, I thought someone was late. But then I saw her, a woman holding a crying child. Her face was angry, tired, broken in a way that did not care about professionalism or timing. She looked around the room until her eyes landed on me. And then she shouted my name.
“MAPASEKA!”
The room went silent, every single person turned, she stepped forward, holding the child tighter.
“You are busy wasting my boyfriend’s money!” she shouted. “My baby has no formula because of you!”
For a moment, I did not understand, then I saw Thabo standing behind her in the doorway. And everything collapsed into place. My heart dropped, but my body stayed still. Because shock does that—it freezes you before it breaks you.
“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I said softly.
But she was already walking toward me, security was not fast enough. People were watching, my colleagues and a client. She pointed at me like I was something disgusting.
“You think you are special? You think you can take a man from his family?”
My face burned, not from guilt, from humiliation. Because this was not just personal. This was public. She kept shouting, following me out of the boardroom when I stepped back. I remember hearing chairs move.
Whispers starting, someone saying my name under their breath.
I walked faster, but she followed, until finally, Thabo grabbed her outside the building and pulled her away.
“Stop this!” he shouted. “You are embarrassing me!”
I stood there for a moment, breathing too carefully, trying not to cry in front of everyone who now had a story about me. Then I went back inside. I apologised to my boss, I rescheduled the meeting. My hands were shaking, but my voice was controlled. My boss looked at me for a long moment and said something I did not expect.
“You are one of my strongest performers. Don’t let this define you.”
And I didn’t, I closed that deal later. But something inside me shifted that day. After work, I sat in my car for a long time without starting it. That night I made a decision, I will never again mix my personal life with my work life. I will never again allow someone to access me without clear boundaries. And I will never again let a man’s chaos spill into my ambition. That was the day Mapaseka Mokoena stopped being “available.” Not because I stopped wanting love. But because I learned what it costs when you let the wrong person close at the wrong time. And after that day I became untouchable at work.
Comments
Post a Comment