Chapter 34: Vanishing Act
Thando woke up alone. The bed was cold beside her, the silk sheets undisturbed. She checked her phone no messages. Arjun was always up early, but he usually left a note, a text, something. She stepped out onto the balcony, taking in the breathtaking view of Dubai’s skyline. Maybe he was downstairs at the hotel restaurant? She decided to get dressed and find him. The concierge smiled as she approached the front desk.
Concierge: “Good morning, Mrs. Naidoo. How may I assist you?”
Thando: “Have you seen my husband? He left early, and I can't seem to reach him.”
The woman’s polite smile faltered.
Concierge: “I'm sorry, ma’am. We don’t have a reservation under that name.”
Thando blinked.
Thando: “What? No, we’re staying in the penthouse suite. My husband, Arjun Naidoo, booked it.”
The concierge typed something on her screen, then frowned.
Concierge: “I'm sorry, ma’am, but there's no record of an Arjun Naidoo staying at the Burj Al Arab.”
Thando’s breath hitched.
Thando: “That’s impossible. We've been here for days! Check again.”
Concierge: “I’m afraid our system has no record of your stay. Perhaps he booked under another name?”
A cold wave of fear washed over her. Arjun wouldn’t disappear without telling her… would he? Panicked, she dialled his number. Straight to voicemail. She tried again. Nothing. She turned around, scanning the lobby. The same luxurious space they had walked through together just yesterday now felt foreign. Something was terribly wrong. Her heartbeat pounded in her ears as a hand suddenly touched her shoulder. She spun around, coming face-to-face with a tall, elegant woman in a black Chanel dress. The woman’s crimson lips curled into a knowing smile.
Woman: “Your husband sold you for fifteen million rand.”
Thando’s blood turned to ice. The nightmare had only just begun.
Comments
Post a Comment