Chapter 30: A Night to Remember
It was a crisp Friday evening when Mandla pulled up outside The Olive Grove, Pietermaritzburg’s most exclusive restaurant tucked away on a hillside with glass walls that overlooked the glowing city lights. Mbali stepped out of the car wearing a soft emerald-green dress Mandla had bought her that week. Her hair was swept to one side, her makeup subtle, but her beauty unmistakable. For the first time in a long time, she felt like herself free, elegant, and safe.
Mandla: “You look…”
Mandla started, then chuckled nervously,
Mandla: “I don’t even have the words.”
She smiled.
Mandla: “You clean up pretty well yourself, Pastor.”
He shook his head, offering his arm.
Mandla: “Not a pastor anymore. Just a man… taking a woman he deeply cares about to dinner.”
The restaurant staff greeted them with formality, leading them to a private balcony table. A candle flickered between them, reflecting in Mbali’s eyes. Soft jazz floated in the background. The atmosphere was magic intimate, quiet, and untouched by the world’s noise. They talked about everything and nothing. Mbali laughed freely for the first time in weeks. Mandla listened more than he spoke, his eyes tracing every smile that crossed her face. When dessert arrived dark chocolate torte with a hint of chili he fed her a small bite on the tip of his fork, and she playfully teased him about being old-fashioned. But beneath the lightness, something deeper pulsed. A shared understanding. A history of pain. A future that, for once, didn’t feel impossible. As they stepped out into the night, Mandla wrapped his jacket around her shoulders. She looked up at him and whispered,
Mbali: “Thank you… for tonight. For everything.”
He leaned in, not rushing, just close enough to feel her breath.
Mandla: “I meant what I said. I’m here. I’m not going anywhere.”
And under the stars, with the city glowing beneath them, their lips met gentle, tender, and full of promise. It wasn’t just a date. It was the beginning of something new. The morning after their date, Mbali sat by the window of Mandla’s smallholding home, a cup of tea warming her hands as mist rolled over the Pietermaritzburg hills. For once, she felt clarity not just about her feelings for Mandla, but about herself. He walked in quietly, barefoot, still in his pajama shirt, and sat across from her.
Mbali: “I have been thinking, about my life. About what I want.”
Mbali gave a small smile. Mandla nodded.
Mandla: “So, what do you want?”
She hesitated.
Mbali: “I used to dream of studying. Psychology, maybe… social work. I wanted to help girls like me. But life... it stole that from me.”
He leaned forward, his tone steady and kind.
Mandla: “Then take it back.”
Her eyes met his, surprised. Mandla: “Mbali, you’ve been through hell and made it out alive. That strength? It’s rare. Don’t let your past hold your future hostage. If studying is what you want do it. Don’t wait for permission. Don’t wait for peace. Go out there and build both.” Her eyes welled up.
Mbali: “You really think I can do it?”
Mandla: “ I know you can.”
That afternoon, with Mandla sitting beside her for moral support, Mbali opened her laptop and registered for a Bachelor of Social Work at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, Pietermaritzburg campus. As she clicked the final submit, a quiet joy bubbled inside her. It was the first step toward a future she thought she’d never have. And she wasn’t alone. Mandla reached over and squeezed her hand.
Mandla: “You’re not just surviving anymore, Mbali. You’re rising.”
And this time, the tears that ran down her cheeks were not from pain, but from pride.
Comments
Post a Comment