Advertisement

Chapter 26: Reunion at the Shisanyama

 




The smell of sizzling meat and the sound of laughter filled the air as the four friends gathered at their favorite shisanyama spot in Soweto. It had been months since they had all been together in one place, and the reunion felt like coming home. Buhle, Lerato, Zee, and Thando sat around a table piled high with food, their faces glowing with happiness and relief.



Buhle: “Can you believe it? We made it. After everything the heartbreak, the drama, the chaos we’re still here. And we’re stronger than ever.”


Buhle said, raising her glass. 


Zee: “Cheers to that,” 


Zee said, clinking her glass against Buhle’s.


Zee: “And cheers to me for not ruining the wedding with my speech. You’re welcome, by the way.”


Lerato laughed, shaking her head. 


Lerato: “Your speech was legendary, Zee. I’m still recovering from the part about Buhle’s dating history.” 


Zee: “Hey, someone had to say it, besides, it’s not a real wedding until someone gets roasted.”


Zee replied, her grin unapologetic. Thando, who had been quiet up until now, smiled softly. 


Thando: “It’s good to be back. I’ve missed this. Missed you guys.”




As they ate, the conversation turned to everything they had been through over the past year. Lerato, holding baby Amahle in her arms, smiled. 


Lerato: “I know what you mean. Becoming a mom has changed everything for me. It’s hard, but it’s also the most amazing thing I’ve ever done.” 


Zee leaned back in her chair, her usual sarcasm softened by the moment. 


Zee: “And then there’s me, the reformed commitment-probe. Who would’ve thought I’d be planning a future with Mandla? Not me, that’s for sure.” 


Thando chuckled, her eyes filled with warmth. 


Thando: “And I’m just happy to be here. After everything that happened with Mlungisi and Noma, I wasn’t sure I’d ever find peace. But now, with my book coming out and a fresh start in Cape Town, I feel like I’m finally living for myself.”



As the night went on, the conversation shifted to lighter topics Zee’s latest comedy gig, Lerato’s plans to expand her fashion business, and Thando’s adventures in Cape Town. But through it all, there was an unspoken understanding between them. They had been through hell and back, but their friendship had remained unshakable. 


Buhle: “You know, I don’t think I could’ve made it through this year without you guys. You’ve been my rock.”


Buhle said, her voice soft, 


Lerato: “Same, you’ve all been there for me in ways I can’t even put into words.”



Lerato said, her eyes shining with tears. Zee, ever the comedian, pretended to wipe away a tear.


Zee: “Okay, okay, enough with the mushy stuff. Let’s toast to us the most dysfunctional, drama-filled, ride-or-die squad in Joburg.”


They laughed, raising their glasses in a toast. “To us,” they said in unison, their voices filled with love and gratitude.



As the night came to an end, the four friends sat together, watching the stars come out over Soweto. They talked about their dreams for the future Lerato’s growing family, Zee and Mandla’s plans to travel, and Thando’s new life in Cape Town. 


Thando: “No matter where life takes us, we’ll always have this. Always have each other.”


Thando said, her voice steady, Buhle nodded, her heart full. 


Buhle: “And no matter what happens, we’ll always come back here. To this shisanyama, to this table, to us.”


Zee grinned, her usual bravado softened by the moment. 


Zee: “Damn right we will. Because let’s be real who else is going to put up with my nonsense?” 


They laughed, the sound carrying into the night. And as they sat together, their hearts full and their futures bright, they knew one thing for certain: no matter what life threw at them, they would always have each other.






Comments