Chapter 25: Zee’s Wedding Speech
The reception hall was alive with laughter, music, and the clinking of glasses. Buhle and Siya’s wedding had been nothing short of magical, and now, as the guests settled in for the speeches, the atmosphere was electric. Zee stood at the podium, her signature smirk in place as she adjusted the microphone. She had been preparing for this moment for weeks, and she was ready to bring the house down.
Zee: “Good evening, everyone,”
Zee began, her voice carrying across the room.
Zee: “For those of you who don’t know me, I’m Zee, Buhle’s best friend, professional comedian, and according to her the reason she’s still sane after dealing with Siya all these years.”
The room erupted in laughter, and Zee waited for it to die down before continuing.
Zee: “Now, I know what you’re all thinking. ‘Zee, this is a wedding. Shouldn’t you be nice?’ And to that, I say: where’s the fun in that? Buhle and Siya didn’t invite me here to be nice. They invited me here to be real. So buckle up, folks. This is going to be good.”
Zee turned to Buhle, who was sitting at the head table, her face already flushed with laughter.
Zee: “Buhle, my dear, where do I even begin? You’re a brilliant lawyer, a loyal friend, and the only person I know who can make a PowerPoint presentation about toast sound interesting. But let’s be honest your love life before Siya was a disaster.
Remember that guy who showed up to your date wearing Crocs? Or the one who tried to impress you by quoting The Art of War on a first date? Yeah, we don’t talk about him.”
The room roared with laughter, and Buhle buried her face in her hands, shaking her head. Zee turned to Siya, her grin widening.
Zee: “And then there’s Siya. Oh, Siya. The man who somehow managed to win Buhle’s heart not once, but twice. I mean, who does that? Most of us are lucky if we get a second chance at lunch, but this guy? He’s out here getting second chances at love. Bravo, my friend. Bravo.”
Siya laughed, raising his glass in a mock toast. Zee continued, her tone shifting to something more sincere.
Zee: “But in all seriousness, Siya, you’ve been a rock for Buhle. You’ve supported her, challenged her, and loved her in a way that’s truly inspiring. And for that, I’m grateful. Because if there’s one thing I know about Buhle, it’s that she deserves the best. And somehow, against all odds, she found that in you.”
Zee paused, her playful demeanour softening as she looked at Buhle and Siya.
Zee: “Buhle, you’ve been my best friend for as long as I can remember. You’ve been there for me through thick and thin, and you’ve always believed in me, even when I didn’t believe in myself. And Siya, you’ve become such an important part of our lives. You’ve brought out the best in Buhle, and for that, I’ll always be grateful.”
She raised her glass, her voice steady but filled with emotion.
Zee: “So here’s to Buhle and Siya. May your love be as strong as Buhle’s coffee, as steady as Siya’s patience, and as enduring as my ability to make fun of you both. Cheers!”
The room erupted in applause, and Buhle and Siya stood, their eyes shining with tears as they hugged Zee.
Buhle: “That was amazing, Thank you, Zee.”
Buhle said, her voice choked with emotion.
Zee grinned, her usual sarcasm creeping back in.
Zee: “Don’t get used to it. This is the last nice thing I’ll ever say about you.”
As Zee returned to her seat, the room was still buzzing with laughter and applause. Mandla leaned over, his eyes filled with pride.
Mandla: “You killed it, babe. That was incredible.”
Zee smiled, leaning into him.
Zee: “Thanks. But don’t think you’re off the hook. You’re next.”
Mandla laughed, shaking his head.
Mandla: “I wouldn’t expect anything less.”
As the night went on, Zee’s speech became the talk of the wedding. Guests approached her, laughing and thanking her for making the night unforgettable. And as she danced with Mandla under the twinkling lights, Zee felt a sense of joy she hadn’t felt in a long time. Buhle and Siya’s wedding was a celebration of love, second chances, and the power of friendship. And as Zee looked around at the people she loved most, she knew that this was just the beginning of their happily ever after
Comments
Post a Comment