Advertisement

Chapter 22: Zee and Mandla’s New Beginning

 




Zee sat on the couch in Mandla’s apartment, her legs tucked under her as she scrolled through her phone. Mandla was in the kitchen, humming softly as he prepared dinner. The smell of garlic and herbs filled the air, and Zee couldn’t help but smile. It was a simple moment, but it felt like everything she had ever wanted. Over the past few months, their relationship had blossomed. What had started as a tentative connection had grown into something deep and meaningful. Mandla had proven himself to be steady, kind, and endlessly supportive, while Zee had let down her walls, allowing herself to be vulnerable in a way she never had before. As Mandla brought two plates of pasta to the coffee table, Zee set her phone aside and grinned.


Zee: “You know, if this whole accounting thing doesn’t work out, you could totally open a restaurant.” 


Mandla laughed, sitting down beside her. 


Mandla: “I’ll keep that in mind. But for now, I’m happy just cooking for you.” 


They ate in comfortable silence for a while, the kind of silence that only comes when two people are completely at ease with each other. But as they finished their meal, Zee turned to Mandla, her expression serious. 


Zee: “So… I’ve been thinking, about us. About the future.”


she began, her tone uncharacteristically hesitant. Mandla set his fork down, giving her his full attention. 


Mandla: “Okay. What’s on your mind?” 



Zee took a deep breath.


Zee: “I know I’ve always been the ‘live in the moment’ type. But with you… I can actually see a future. And I want to plan for it. Like, really plan for it.” 


Mandla’s eyes softened, a smile tugging at his lips. 


Mandla: “I’m glad you said that. Because I’ve been thinking the same thing.”



They spent the rest of the evening talking about their dreams and goals. Zee admitted that she wanted to take her comedy career to the next level, maybe even tour internationally. Mandla shared his desire to grow his accounting firm and eventually start a financial literacy program for young people in underserved communities. 



Zee: “I love that, you’d be amazing at that. And who knows? Maybe I could help with the marketing. You know, make it fun and relatable.”


Zee said, her eyes lighting up. Mandla chuckled. 


Mandla: “I’d love that. You’ve got a way with words that I could never match.” 


As they talked, they began to weave their dreams together, creating a vision of a future that included both of them. They discussed everything from where they wanted to live to how they would balance their careers and personal lives.



By the end of the night, they had a rough outline of their plans. Zee would start working on a new comedy special, with Mandla’s support and feedback. Mandla would begin laying the groundwork for his financial literacy program, with Zee’s help in making it accessible and engaging. 



They also talked about more personal goals like traveling together, adopting a dog, and eventually starting a family. It was a big conversation, but it felt natural, like the next logical step in their relationship.


Zee: “I never thought I’d be this person,” 


Zee admitted, her voice soft. 


Zee: “You know, the one who makes plans and talks about the future. But with you… it feels right.” 


Mandla reached for her hand, his touch warm and reassuring. 


Mandla: “I feel the same way. You’ve changed my life, Zee. In the best possible way.”



A few weeks later, Mandla surprised Zee with a weekend getaway to a cozy cabin in the mountains. It was the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of Johannesburg, and they spent the days hiking, laughing, and simply enjoying each other’s company. On their last night, as they sat by the fireplace, Mandla turned to Zee, his expression serious but tender. 


Mandla: “Zee, there’s something I want to ask you.” 


Zee raised an eyebrow, her playful side kicking in. 


Zee: “Oh no. This sounds serious. Should I be worried?”


Mandla laughed, shaking his head. 


Mandla: “No, nothing like that. I just… I want to make this official. You and me. Not just dating, but building a life together. What do you think?” 


Zee’s teasing smile softened into something genuine. 




Zee: “I think… I’d like that. A lot.” 


Mandla’s face broke into a wide grin, and he pulled her into a tight hug.


Mandla: “Good. Because I’m all in, Zee. For the long haul.”



As they drove back to Johannesburg the next day, Zee felt a sense of excitement she hadn’t felt in years. For the first time, she was looking forward to the future not just her future, but their future. With Mandla by her side, she felt like she could take on anything. And as they pulled into the city, the skyline glittering in the distance, Zee knew one thing for certain: love wasn’t a joke. It was real, it was messy, and it was the most beautiful thing she had ever experienced.








     




Comments