Advertisement

Chapter 21: Nomvula’s Breaking Point

 



The Mthembu household had always been a place of order and tradition, but lately, it felt like a house of cards teetering on the edge of collapse. Nomvula, the first wife and the backbone of the family, had always been the one to hold everything together. But even she had her limits, and the weight of Sibusiso’s secrets was pushing her to the brink.

For weeks, she had noticed the signs the dwindling finances, the whispered conversations, the tension that hung thick in the air. She had tried to talk to Sibusiso, to understand what was going on, but he had brushed her off, his dismissive tone only fueling her frustration. She had always trusted him, had always believed that he had the family’s best interests at heart. But now, that trust was beginning to waver.

One evening, after another tense family dinner, Nomvula found herself alone in the study. Sibusiso had retreated to his room, claiming he needed to rest, but Nomvula knew better. She had seen the way he jumped at every phone call, the way he spent hours locked in his study, the way he seemed to age before her eyes. Something was terribly wrong, and she was determined to find out what it was.

She began to sift through the papers on his desk, her heart pounding with a mix of fear and determination. She didn’t know what she was looking for, but she knew she would recognize it when she saw it. And then, she found it a stack of documents detailing the sale of family assets, the draining of their savings, and a series of loans from questionable sources.

Nomvula’s hands trembled as she read through the documents, the reality of their situation hitting her like a ton of bricks. Sibusiso had been mismanaging their finances, risking everything they had built. And he had kept it from her, from all of them.



Anger surged through her, hot and fierce. How could he do this? How could he risk their family’s future without even consulting her? She had always been his partner, his equal, but now it felt like he had shut her out, leaving her to pick up the pieces of his mistakes.

Without thinking, she grabbed the documents and stormed out of the study, her footsteps echoing through the quiet house. She found Sibusiso in their bedroom, sitting on the edge of the bed, his head in his hands. He looked up as she entered, his expression a mix of surprise and guilt.

Sibusiso: “Nomvula, what’s wrong?”

He began, his voice cautious. She threw the documents onto the bed, her eyes blazing with anger. 

Nomvula: “What’s wrong? What’s wrong is that you’ve been lying to me, to all of us. How could you do this, Sibusiso? How could you risk everything we’ve built?”

Sibusiso’s expression darkened, and he stood, his voice rising to match hers.

Sibusiso: “I don’t have to explain myself to you, Nomvula. I’m the head of this family, and I make the decisions.”

Nomvula: “Decisions that are destroying us!, You’ve been selling off our assets, draining our savings, taking out loans from dangerous people. Do you have any idea what you’ve done?”

She shot back, her voice trembling with rage. Sibusiso’s jaw tightened, and he took a step closer, his eyes blazing.

Sibusiso: “I did what I had to do to protect this family. You don’t understand the pressure I’m under.”


Nomvula: “No, Sibusiso, I don’t understand, because you didn’t bother to include me. You shut me out, just like you’ve been shutting out everyone else. And now, we’re on the brink of losing everything.”

Nomvula said, her voice breaking. Sibusiso’s expression softened, and he reached out, placing a hand on her arm. 

Sibusiso: “Nomvula, I’m sorry. I didn’t want to worry you. I thought I could handle it on my own.”

Nomvula pulled away, her eyes filled with tears.

Nomvula: “That’s the problem, Sibusiso. You don’t have to handle it on your own. We’re supposed to be partners. But you’ve been acting like you’re the only one who matters.”

Sibusiso’s guilt turned to anger, and he stepped back, his voice cold.

Sibusiso: “I don’t need you questioning me, Nomvula. I’ve always taken care of this family, and I’ll continue to do so. You need to trust me.”

Nomvula: “Trust you?, How can I trust you when you’ve been lying to me? When you’ve been risking everything we’ve built?”

Nomvula echoed, her voice filled with disbelief. The room fell silent, the tension between them thick and suffocating. Nomvula stared at Sibusiso, her heart breaking as she realised how far they had drifted apart. She had always believed in him, had always stood by him, but now, she wasn’t sure she could anymore.



Nomvula: “I don’t know who you are anymore, Sibusiso, and I don’t know if I can keep standing by you if this is how you’re going to lead this family.”

She said finally, her voice barely a whisper.  Sibusiso’s expression hardened, and he turned away, his voice cold.

Sibusiso: “Then don’t. If you can’t trust me, then maybe you shouldn’t be here.”

Nomvula’s heart shattered at his words, but she refused to let him see her pain. She turned and walked out of the room, her footsteps echoing through the quiet house. As she made her way to the garden, the cool night air did little to soothe the storm raging inside her.

She sat on a bench, staring up at the stars, her mind racing. She had always been loyal to Sibusiso, had always believed in him. But now, that loyalty was being tested in ways she had never imagined. She didn’t know what to do, didn’t know how to fix the mess they were in. But she knew one thing she couldn’t keep living like this.


The game was far from over, and the stakes were higher than ever. Nomvula’s breaking point was a silent storm, tearing through the family and leaving destruction in its wake. And as she struggled to find her way back to the light, the family could only watch, helpless, as she slipped further and further into the shadows.









Comments