Chapter 21: Nombuso’s Secret
It all began with a letter and carefully folded, placed between the pages of Mandla’s old Bible, nestled between Psalms and Proverbs. He hadn’t used that bible in years it was the first bible he used in his early years of ministry, while flipping through the scriptures in search of comfort. His heart was heavy with worry and guilt over Mbali’s disappearance, and he had hoped to find peace in the familiar verses. Instead, he found something that would unravel him.
The handwriting on the envelope was immediately recognisable. It was Nombuso’s elegant, controlled, and precise. The envelope held no name on the outside, and when he opened it, the letter inside was not addressed to him or anyone else. It read more like a private confession, a deeply personal outpouring of truths she had kept buried. Mandla sat down slowly, the paper trembling in his hands as he began to read.
Nombuso: “I never loved him. Not really. I was told to marry him by the elders, told it was for the good of the church. That he had potential. That he needed a worthy woman.’ A woman with discipline. Image. Clean hands.”
He blinked slowly, the words settling in like a blow to the chest. She had never told him this not once in all the years of their marriage. Their union, it seemed, had been a carefully orchestrated arrangement, not born out of love but duty.
Nombuso: “But my hands weren’t clean.”
That line stopped him cold. He read it again and again, trying to understand what she meant.
Nombuso: “There were… two abortions. Before Mandla. When I was young. I never told him. I knew he wanted children, but I couldn’t bear to say why it wasn’t happening. I let him blame himself. Or God.”
Mandla’s stomach turned. He had carried the weight of their childlessness for years, believing it was some divine punishment or a flaw in himself. But now he realised the truth had been buried under silence. And she had let him carry that burden alone. His eyes continued down the page, his breath catching at the next revelation.
Nombuso: “And Mbali she’s was going to destroy everything. I had to act. I told Kabelo to find Sipho. I didn’t expect it would go that far. I only wanted her gone.”
A chill spread through Mandla’s body. The sudden appearance of Sipho in Mbali’s life now made sense. The threats, the fear, the way Mbali had withdrawn. It was not coincidence. It was orchestrated. And the person who had set it all in motion was his own wife. Mandla’s hands shook violently as he dropped the letter onto the desk. He stumbled backward, as though the words themselves had reached out and struck him. The room seemed to spin, his heart pounding in his ears. He felt betrayed, not just by the secrets, but by the deliberate cruelty of it. He had trusted Nombuso. He had believed that, despite their differences, they had always worked toward the same purpose. But now he saw a different truth one rooted in control, fear, and pride. Mandla leaned against the edge of the table, trying to steady himself. The open Bible lay before him, the letter resting against the sacred pages. He looked down at it with hollow eyes, searching for answers in words that once brought him strength. But now, the silence in the room was louder than any scripture.
Comments
Post a Comment