Advertisement

Chapter 20: Zanele’s Dilemma

 



The Mthembu household, once a place of refuge for Zanele, had become a labyrinth of secrets and forbidden desires. Her affair with Lunga, though born out of loneliness and a rekindled connection, now weighed heavily on her conscience. Every stolen glance, every secret touch, every whispered conversation was a reminder of the betrayal that lay at the heart of their relationship. She knew it was wrong, that it could destroy the family, but she couldn’t bring herself to let go of the one person who made her feel seen and understood.


Zanele sat in her room, the curtains drawn, the dim light casting long shadows on the walls. Her mind was a whirlwind of emotions guilt, longing, fear, and love all tangled together in a knot she couldn’t unravel. She had tried to distance herself from Lunga, to focus on her role as Sibusiso’s wife, but it was no use. Every time she saw him, every time their eyes met, the pull was too strong to resist.

A soft knock on the door startled her out of her thoughts. She hesitated, then called out,

Zanele: “Who is it?”

Lunga: “It’s me.” 

Came Lunga’s voice, low and urgent. Zanele’s heart raced. She knew she shouldn’t let him in, that every moment they spent together only deepened the danger, but she couldn’t help herself. She opened the door, and Lunga slipped inside, closing it quietly behind him.



Zanele: “What are you doing here?, If anyone sees you”

She whispered, her voice trembling.

Lunga: “I had to see you, I can’t stop thinking about you, Zanele. I know this is wrong, but I can’t help it. I need you.”

Lunga interrupted, his eyes searching hers. Zanele’s resolve wavered as she looked into his eyes, seeing the same conflict and longing that she felt.

Zanele:  “Lunga, this is dangerous. If anyone finds out”

Lunga: “I don’t care, I can’t keep pretending like everything’s okay. I need you, Zanele. I’ve always needed you.”

He said, stepping closer. Tears welled up in her eyes as she shook her head. 

Zanele: “We can’t keep doing this. It’s not just about us. It’s about the family. If anyone finds out, it will destroy everything.”

Lunga reached out, his hand brushing against her cheek.

Lunga: “I know. But I can’t let you go. Not again.”

Zanele’s breath caught in her throat as she leaned into his touch, the warmth of his hand a stark contrast to the cold loneliness she had been feeling. 

Zanele: “Lunga…”

He pulled her into his arms, holding her tightly.

Lunga: “We’ll figure it out, Zanele. We’ll find a way to be together. But I can’t lose you. Not again.”



Zanele clung to him, her heart aching with the weight of their forbidden love. She knew it was wrong, that they were playing with fire, but in that moment, all she could think about was how right it felt to be in his arms.

But as the days passed, Zanele’s guilt grew. She couldn’t shake the feeling that she was betraying not just Sibusiso, but the entire family. The other wives, the children they all trusted her, and she was risking everything for a love that could never be.

One evening, as she sat in the garden, staring at the stars, Nomvula joined her. 

Nomvula: “Zanele, you’ve been distant lately. Is everything alright?”

She said softly, Zanele forced a smile, her heart pounding.

Zanele: “I’m fine, Nomvula. Just… thinking.”

Nomvula studied her carefully, her gaze piercing.

Nomvula: “You know you can talk to me, right? Whatever it is, I’m here for you.”

Zanele’s resolve wavered, and for a moment, she considered confiding in Nomvula. But the risk was too great.

Zanele: “Thank you, Nomvula. I appreciate it. But I’m fine, really.”

Nomvula nodded, though her expression was still filled with concern. 

Nomvula: “Alright. But if you need anything, I’m here.”

As Nomvula walked away, Zanele felt a fresh wave of guilt. She knew she was lying to everyone, including herself. She couldn’t keep living like this, torn between her love for Lunga and her duty to the family.



That night, as she lay in bed, staring at the ceiling, Zanele made a decision. She had to end things with Lunga. It was the only way to protect the family, to protect herself. But the thought of losing him again was almost too much to bear. The next day, she sought him out, finding him in the study. He looked up as she entered, his expression filled with hope and longing.

Lunga: “Zanele, I’ve been wanting to talk to you.”

He said, standing quickly. She closed the door behind her, her heart pounding. 

Zanele: “Lunga, we need to talk.”

He stepped closer, his eyes searching hers. 

Lunga: “What’s wrong?”

Zanele took a deep breath, forcing herself to stay strong.

Zanele: “This… us… it can’t continue. It’s too dangerous. If anyone finds out, it will destroy everything.”

Lunga’s expression darkened, and he shook his head. 

Lunga: “No, Zanele. I can’t lose you. Not again.”

Tears streamed down her face as she reached out, placing a hand on his arm. 

Zanele: “I don’t want to lose you either, Lunga. But we have to think about the family. We can’t be selfish.”

Lunga pulled her into his arms, holding her tightly. 

Lunga: “There has to be another way. We’ll find a way to be together, Zanele. I promise.”


But Zanele knew the truth. There was no way for them to be together without destroying everything they loved. As much as it hurt, she had to let him go.

Zanele: “I’m sorry, Lunga,  but this is the only way.”

She whispered, pulling away. Lunga stared at her, his eyes filled with pain and disbelief. But before he could say anything, she turned and walked out, her heart breaking with every step.

The game was far from over, and the stakes were higher than ever. Zanele’s dilemma was a silent storm, tearing through the family and leaving destruction in its wake. And as she struggled to find her way back to the light, the family could only watch, helpless, as she slipped further and further into the shadows.



















Comments