Chapter 19: Mandla’s Recovery
The hospital room was quiet, save for the steady beep of the heart monitor. Mandla lay in the bed, his face pale but his eyes bright with determination. The attack by Zee’s stalker had left him with a fractured rib and a concussion, but his spirit was unbroken. He had risked his life to protect Zee, and now, as he prepared to be discharged, he couldn’t help but feel a glimmer of hope. Zee sat by his bedside, her usual vibrant energy subdued. She had been by his side every day since the attack, bringing him meals, cracking jokes to lift his spirits, and even reading to him when he was too tired to talk. It was a side of her that Mandla had never seen before vulnerable, caring, and deeply human.
Zee: “You know, you didn’t have to play the hero. You could’ve just called the police.”
Zee said, breaking the silence, Mandla smiled weakly.
Mandla: “And miss the chance to impress you? Never.”
Zee rolled her eyes, but there was a softness in her expression.
Zee: “You’re impossible, you know that?”
Mandla: “So I’ve been told, but seriously, Zee… I couldn’t stand by and let that guy hurt you. You mean too much to me.”
Mandla replied, his tone light but his gaze serious. Zee looked away, her cheeks flushing. She had spent so much time making fun of love, of relationships, of the idea of settling down. But Mandla had shown her a different side of love one that was selfless, steady, and unwavering. It scared her, but it also intrigued her.
When the doctor finally gave the all-clear for Mandla to go home, Zee insisted on driving him. She helped him into her car, fussing over him like a mother hen.
Zee: “You sure you’re okay? Do you need more painkillers? Should I drive slower?”
Mandla chuckled, wincing slightly at the pain in his ribs.
Mandla: “I’m fine, Zee. Really. You don’t have to baby me.”
Zee: “Too bad, you’re stuck with me now.”
Zee shot back, her tone teasing. As they drove to Mandla’s apartment, the atmosphere between them was charged with unspoken emotions. Zee had always kept Mandla at arm’s length, dismissing him as “too boring” or “too nice.” But after everything they had been through, she was starting to see him in a different light.
When they arrived at Mandla’s apartment, Zee helped him inside and settled him on the couch. She busied herself making tea, her usual chatter filling the silence. But when she handed him the cup, her expression turned serious.
Zee: “Mandla, I… I need to say something.”
she began, her voice hesitant, Mandla looked at her, his heart pounding.
Mandla: “Okay. I’m listening.”
Zee took a deep breath.
Zee: “I’ve spent my whole life making fun of love, of relationships. I thought it was all a joke, you know? But you… you’ve shown me that it’s not. You’ve been there for me in ways no one else has. And I… I think I’ve been an idiot.”
Mandla’s eyes widened.
Mandla: “Zee, you’re not an idiot. You’ve just been protecting yourself. I get that.”
Zee shook her head.
Zee: “No, I’ve been scared. Scared of letting someone in, scared of getting hurt. But after everything that’s happened, I realised something. Life’s too short to keep pushing people away. Especially people who care about you as much as you do.”
Mandla’s heart swelled with hope.
Mandla: “Zee, are you saying…?”
Zee looked him in the eye, her usual bravado replaced with vulnerability.
Zee: “I’m saying I want to give this a shot. You and me. For real this time.”
Mandla’s face broke into a wide grin, despite the pain in his ribs.
Mandla: “Zee, you have no idea how happy that makes me. I’ve waited so long to hear you say that.”
Zee smiled, a genuine, unfiltered smile that lit up her entire face.
Zee: “Well, don’t get used to it. I’m still the same sarcastic, chaotic mess you fell for.”
Mandla: “Wouldn’t have it any other way,”
Mandla said, reaching for her hand. As they sat there, hand in hand, Zee felt a sense of peace she hadn’t felt in years. She had spent so much time running from love, from vulnerability, from the possibility of getting hurt. But with Mandla, she felt safe. He had proven, time and time again, that he was worth the risk.
In the weeks that followed, Zee and Mandla took things slow. They went on dates, talked for hours, and laughed like they had known each other their whole lives. Zee still made fun of Mandla’s “boring” accountant tendencies, but there was a fondness in her teasing that hadn’t been there before. One evening, as they sat on Zee’s balcony watching the sunset, Zee turned to Mandla.
Zee: “You know, I used to think love was a trap. But with you… it feels like freedom.”
Mandla smiled, his heart full.
Mandla: “That’s the best compliment you’ve ever given me.”
Zee laughed, leaning into his side.
Zee: “Don’t let it go to your head.”
As the sun dipped below the horizon, Zee and Mandla sat together, their hearts intertwined. They had both been through so much stalkers, hospital stays, and plenty of chaos but they had come out stronger on the other side. And for the first time in a long time, Zee allowed herself to believe in the possibility of a happy ending.
Comments
Post a Comment