Chapter 19: The Encounter
I did not expect to see him that day. I had gone to a place I normally visited when I needed peace from work and meetings. It was one of those elegant spaces in Sandton where everything looks expensive, quiet, and carefully curated. People there did not rush, they simply existed in luxury. I was walking slowly distracted by my phone when I stopped abruptly. He was there standing a few metres away, but something was different. He was no longer in overalls stained with oil. He was wearing expensive well-fitted clothes. A clean white shirt that hugged his shoulders perfectly. Tailored trousers that sat just right. Shoes that looked like they belonged in a magazine. His hair was neat, his posture calm, and there was an effortless confidence about him that made me look twice. I froze, my first thought was simple, there is no way this is him. I narrowed my eyes slightly trying to convince myself, no, this must be someone who looks like him. There is no way a man like that mechanic can come in a place like this.
I hesitated, my heart told me to walk away, my curiosity told me to stay. For a few seconds I just stood there debating with myself. Then I took a breath and walked toward him.
"Excuse me," I said carefully.
He turned, the moment he saw me, a slow smile formed on his face.
"Awu, nkosazana," he said, shaking his head slightly. "You are stalking me now."
I blinked, then I laughed, of course he would say that. I sighed and shook my head.
"I am not stalking you," I said. "I was not even sure it was you."
He looked amused.
"So you just walk up to a stranger like that?"
"I thought you were someone who looks like you," I replied honestly.
He crossed his arms.
"Hhayi Mapaseka," he said. "You are dangerous you know that?"
I exhaled slowly feeling slightly embarrassed.
“Look, I am sorry for that day I thought you were stalking me" I said.
He studied me for a moment, then he smiled.
"If you really want me to accept your apology," he said calmly, "go out with me on one date. Then I will stop bothering you."
I looked at him confused immediately.
"One date?"
"Yes," he replied. "One. If you still think I am a problem after that, I will leave you alone."
I hesitated, my pride wanted to refuse, my curiosity refused to stay quiet. I sighed and reached for his phone.
"Give me your phone," I said.
He handed it over without hesitation, I typed my number carefully and handed it back.
"There," I said. "Now you have my number you can call me and arrange the date you desire."
He looked at the screen, then smiled.
"Thank you," he said simply. "See you soon."
And just like that he walked away, leaving me standing there confused, annoyed, and strangely unsettled. I stood still for a moment watching him disappear into the crowd. Only then did it hit me, I had never really looked at him properly before. I thought back to that morning he had fixed my car. He had been wearing overalls, his hands had been covered in grease. I had not paid attention to anything else. I had been too stressed, too focused on my meeting, too sure that he was not my type.
Now I had seen him, really seen him, the way that white shirt had stretched across his shoulders. The way his arms had looked when he crossed them. The way his trousers had fitted him perfectly. His body was strong, the kind of body that came from real working out. His face was handsome too, I had never noticed that before, his jaw was defined. His skin was smooth, his smile was warm and teasing, but there was something serious in his eyes. Something steady. and confident.
I felt heat rise to my cheeks, I was blushing, I pressed my hand to my face and felt the warmth there.
"Oh my God," I whispered to myself. "What is wrong with you, Mapaseka?"
My mind started replaying everything, the confidence in his voice. The calm way he had looked at me, the way he had said my name like he had known me for years. And I hated that my thoughts started going somewhere dangerous. I imagined him leaning closer, his hand on my waist. The smell of his cologne, the way his voice would sound in the dark, low and teasing.
"Stop it," I said out loud.
A woman walking past looked at me strangely, I smiled awkwardly and looked away. But the thoughts would not stop, He had been so confident, sure of himself, he had walked away without looking back. He had not begged, he had just smiled and said, "See you soon."
Like he knew I would not refuse, like he knew I would show up.
I whispered to myself.
“He is not your type, Mapaseka.”
He is a mechanic, he does not belong in your world. Just go on the date, get it over with and move on with your life.
Comments
Post a Comment