Chapter 14: Rooftop Confession
New York City was bright below us, covered in lights and busy with life. The rooftop bar was quiet, the cool night breeze carrying the faint sounds of the city up to where we stood. We’d slipped away from the post-meeting dinner, the weight of our secret pulling us together like a magnet. I leaned against the railing, my glass of wine in hand, staring out at the skyline. Enzo stood beside me, his presence a steady warmth against the chill of the night. We hadn’t spoken much since the meeting, the tension between us thick and unspoken.
“It’s beautiful,” I said softly, breaking the silence.
“It is,” Enzo replied, but when I glanced at him, I realised he wasn’t looking at the skyline. He was looking at me.
My breath hitched, and I turned back to the view, my heart pounding. “Enzo, we shouldn’t be up here alone. What if someone sees us?”
“Let them see,” he said, his voice low and intense.
I turned to face him, my eyes wide. “You don’t mean that.”
“I do,” he said, stepping closer. “I’m tired of hiding, Amara. Tired of pretending like I don’t want you.”
My heart raced, and I shook my head. “Enzo, we’ve been over this. It’s too risky. My career”
“Your career is important,” he interrupted, his voice firm. “But so are you. So is this.” He gestured between us, his eyes searching mine. “I want you, Amara. In every way. Not just here, not just in secret. I want you in my life. Fully. Completely.”
My breath caught in my throat, my mind racing. “Enzo, you don’t know what you’re saying. This could ruin everything.”
“It won’t,” he said, his voice steady. “Because I won’t let it. I’ll protect you. I’ll protect us.”
I shook my head, my voice shaking. “You can’t promise that. You don’t know what could happen.”
He stepped closer, his hands reaching for mine. “I don’t care about the risks. All I care about is you.”
My heart swelled with emotion, but that nagging voice in the back of my mind wouldn’t let me fully relax. “Enzo, I” But before I could finish, he kissed me, his lips soft but insistent. The kiss was slow and deep, filled with all the passion and longing we’d been trying to ignore. When we finally pulled apart, we were both breathless.
“Amara,” Enzo whispered, his voice rough with emotion.
I looked up at him, my heart pounding. “Enzo, I” But before I could finish, he kissed me again, this time with even more intensity. It was as if all the tension, all the longing, had finally been unleashed, and there was no turning back.
Comments
Post a Comment