Chapter 14: First Impressions
Narrated by Mapaseka Mokoena
The morning of the meeting felt different. Not busy like work, but intentional. I stood in front of my mirror longer than usual, carefully choosing every detail of how I would present myself.
Relato had insisted on it the night before.
“First impression lasts, Mapaseka,” she said while sitting on my bed. “You are not going there looking ordinary. You must look like you already know your worth.”
So I took my time. My makeup was soft but precise. My hair was neatly done. My outfit was elegant but not loud. I wanted to look like success, not like I was trying to impress anyone.
Relato arrived early, already dressed and full of energy.
“Haibo, you look dangerous,” she said, smiling.
“I just want clarity,” I replied.
“You want more than clarity,” she teased. “You want confirmation.”
I did not answer that. We agreed to meet both men at the same restaurant, but at different times. I did not want confusion. I wanted truth. The first man arrived exactly on time. He stood up when he saw me, polite and rehearsed.
“Mapaseka?” he asked.
“Yes,” I replied, sitting down.
He smiled too quickly.
“You look exactly like your pictures.”
“Thank you,” I said softly.
From the first few minutes, I could feel it. His answers were too polished. Too prepared, every response sounded like something he had practiced before saying it.
“So what do you do for work?” I asked.
“I am involved in several business ventures,” he said smoothly.
“Which ones specifically?” I asked.
He paused just a little too long.
“Consulting,” he finally said.
I nodded slowly. The conversation continued, but something felt off. Every answer circled around clarity without ever landing on anything real. I checked my watch after a few minutes. Fifteen minutes had passed, that was enough. I smiled politely and closed my handbag.
“I do not think this can work,” I said.
“Why not ” he asked
I did not reply to the question.
“Thank you for your time.” I said
I stood up before he could continue speaking. As I walked away, I did not feel disappointed.
Relato looked up as I returned to her table.
“So?” she asked immediately.
I shook my head.
“Lies,” I said simply. “Everything felt rehearsed.”
She laughed.
“I told you, some men just talk.”
We did not stay long at that table. My mind was already focused on the second meeting.The second man arrived later. When I saw him from a distance, something in me shifted slightly, although I did not want to admit it. He was not overdressed. Not flashy just clean, simple, and grounded. When he reached the table, he smiled first.
“Mapaseka?” he asked.
I nodded. “Yes.”
“I am Taboho,” he said.
There was no performance in his voice. No overconfidence, just a calm presence that made the space feel lighter without trying. I sat down slowly. The conversation began differently from the first one. He did not rush and exaggerate. He asked questions and actually listened to the answers.
“So what do you do?” I asked.
“I work in business operations,” he said simply.
I nodded slightly. “That is very broad.”
He smiled faintly. “I prefer it that way. It keeps things honest without unnecessary labels.”
For a moment, I did not even realise I was relaxing. My shoulders were not tense. My voice was not guarded. The conversation flowed naturally, like it had already been happening before we met. At some point, I even laughed without thinking. Relato, sitting a little distance away, watched everything carefully. When the meeting ended, I did something I did not expect. I did not rush away, I stayed.
Later that day, Relato and I sat together at her table, away from everyone. The noise of the restaurant faded into the background as we finally had time to talk properly.
She leaned forward, studying my face with a knowing smile.
“So how was your last date, Mapaseka?” she asked softly.
I looked down for a moment before answering.
“The second one felt like I already knew him,” I said honestly.
Relato’s smile widened immediately.
“I saw you my friend, I saw how you were blushing the whole time.”
“I was not blushing.” I said
She laughed.
“You were Mapaseka. That man is dangerous, not in a bad way but dangerous for your heart. You were smiling like someone who forgot she is strict.”
I sighed softly. “It is too early to say anything.”
Relato leaned back in her chair.
“Too early or not, I am telling you,” she said. “Ke nahana hore you have found your Mr Right.”
I looked at her quickly.
“Relato, that is a big statement.”
“I am just telling you what I saw”
I paused then admitted quietly, “The conversation was good my friend. I felt like I was speaking to my person.”
Relato raised her eyebrows. “Your person?”
I nodded slowly. “And I noticed something, he remembers everything I told him while we were chatting. Small details. He listens properly.”
Relato smiled.
“That is rare these days.”
I continued, almost surprised by my own honesty.
“I like a man who is observant,” I said. “Not someone who just talks. Someone who really listens.”
After a few minutes, we gathered our things.
“I should go,” I said.
“Me too,” Relato replied.
We stood up together smoothing our clothes and taking our handbags. As we walked out of the restaurant, Relato linked her arm with mine.
“Mapaseka,” she said lightly, “I think your life is about to change.”
I laughed softly.
“We will see.”
But even as I said it, I knew I was no longer the same woman who had walked in earlier that day. Something had already shifted.
Comments
Post a Comment