Chapter 14: Buhle’s Trial by Fire
Buhle sat in the stark, fluorescent-lit interrogation room, her hands clasped tightly in her lap. The air was heavy with tension, and the two investigators across the table studied her with unreadable expressions. One of them slid a folder across the table, its contents spilling out photos, bank statements, and documents linking Vusi to a massive fraud scheme. “Ms. Mthembu,” the lead investigator began, his tone calm but probing,
Lead investigator: “we need to know how much you knew about Vusi Dlamini’s activities. Were you involved in any of these transactions?”
Buhle’s heart raced, but she kept her voice steady.
Buhle: “No. I had no idea what he was involved in. I thought he was a legitimate businessman.”
The investigator raised an eyebrow, flipping through the documents.
Lead investigator: “You were in a relationship with him. You lived in his penthouse. Are you saying you never noticed anything suspicious?”
Buhle hesitated, her mind flashing back to the folder she had found in his car, the late-night phone calls, the evasive answers.
Buhle: “I… I had my suspicions, But I didn’t know the extent of it. When I realised something was wrong, I hired a private investigator to look into him.”
she admitted. The second investigator leaned forward, his tone sharper.
second investigator: “And yet, you stayed with him. Why?”
Buhle’s jaw tightened.
Buhle: “I was trying to figure out what was going on. I didn’t want to believe he could be involved in something like this. But when I found out the truth, I cut ties with him.”
The lead investigator nodded, though his expression remained skeptical.
Lead investigator: “We’ll need you to testify in court, Ms. Mthembu. Your testimony could be crucial in proving Vusi’s guilt.”
Buhle’s stomach churned at the thought. Testifying against Vusi would put her in the spotlight, exposing her personal life to public scrutiny. But she knew she had no choice.
Buhle: “I’ll do it,”
she said quietly. The courtroom was packed, the air thick with anticipation. Buhle sat in the witness stand, her hands trembling as she glanced at Vusi. He sat at the defense table, his expression unreadable, but his eyes burned with a mix of anger and betrayal.
The prosecutor approached her, his tone gentle but firm.
The prosecutor: “Ms. Mthembu, can you describe your relationship with the defendant?”
Buhle took a deep breath, her voice steady despite the storm of emotions inside her.
Buhle: “We were in a relationship for several months. I believed he was a successful businessman, but over time, I started to notice things that didn’t add up.”
The prosecutor: “What kind of things?”
the prosecutor asked.
Buhle: “He was secretive about his work,”
Buhle explained.
Buhle: “He would take calls at odd hours and avoid answering questions about his business. I found documents in his car that linked him to offshore accounts and suspicious transactions. That’s when I hired a private investigator to look into him.”
The defense attorney stood, his tone sharp as he cross-examined her.
The defense attorney: “Ms. Mthembu, isn’t it true that you benefited from Mr. Dlamini’s wealth? You lived in his penthouse, enjoyed expensive gifts, and attended high-profile events with him. Are you really trying to claim you had no idea where his money came from?”
Buhle’s face flushed, but she held her ground.
Buhle: “I didn’t know the source of his wealth. I trusted him, and I was wrong. But when I found out the truth, I did everything I could to distance myself from him.”
The defense attorney smirked, clearly trying to undermine her credibility.
The defense attorney: “Or perhaps you’re just trying to save yourself now that the truth has come out.”
The judge intervened, his voice firm.
Judge: “That’s enough. The witness has answered the question.”
As Buhle stepped down from the witness stand, she felt a mix of relief and exhaustion. She had done her part, but the weight of the trial hung heavily on her shoulders. Outside the courtroom, she was bombarded by reporters, their cameras flashing and questions flying.
Reporter: “Ms. Mthembu! How does it feel to testify against your ex? Did you ever suspect Vusi Dlamini was involved in fraud?”
Buhle ignored them, pushing through the crowd with her head held high. She had survived the trial, but the scars of Vusi’s betrayal would take time to heal. As she walked away from the courthouse, Buhle realised she had finally taken control of her life. Vusi’s crimes had shaken her world, but they hadn’t broken her. She was stronger now, and she was ready to move forward.
Comments
Post a Comment