Advertisement

Chapter 13: The Confrontation

 



The days following Sibongile’s release from the hospital were slow and heavy. Her body was frail, her spirit weary, but her resolve was unshaken. She spent her time resting, reflecting, and allowing her wounds both physical and emotional to heal. MaDlamini stayed by her side, tending to her with the kind of love only a mother could give. The bond between them had deepened, forged in the fires of the ritual and the battle against the dark forces that had haunted their family. As the weeks passed, Sibongile’s strength gradually returned. Her mind, however, was restless. The truth about her husband, Sibusiso, and the dark forces that had chosen her as the price for his wealth gnawed at her. She could no longer live in silence. The time had come to confront him, to demand answers, and to reclaim her life.


Sibongile called a meeting at the Mthembu household. She requested the presence of Sibusiso and all his wives. The atmosphere in the grand mansion was tense, the air thick with unspoken tension. The wives, curious and uneasy, gathered in the living room, whispering among themselves. Sibusiso sat in his usual chair, his face unreadable, though his hands betrayed his anxiety as they fidgeted nervously.


When Sibongile entered the room, all eyes turned to her. She walked with a quiet dignity, her head held high, though her body still bore the marks of her ordeal. She stood before them, her gaze steady as it swept across the room, finally landing on Sibusiso.


Sibongile: “Sibusiso, I have called this meeting because there are things that need to be said. Things you have hidden from me, from all of us.”


she began, her voice calm but firm,  Sibusiso shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

Sibusiso: “Sibongile, I don’t know what you’re talking about. You’ve been through a lot, and I think you should focus on healing ”

Sibongile: “No, you don’t get to tell me what to do anymore. I deserve the truth. We all do.”

she interrupted, her voice sharp.The room fell silent. The wives exchanged uneasy glances, sensing the gravity of the moment. Sibongile took a deep breath and continued.

Sibongile: “During the ritual, I learned the truth about the dark forces that took my children. They were not random. They were not an accident. They were the price you paid for your wealth, Sibusiso. You went to your nyanga to strengthen your wealth before you even met me. The forces chose me, but it was your greed that set this in motion.”

Sibusiso’s face paled. He opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. The wives gasped, their eyes wide with shock and anger.

Nomvula: “Is this true?, you sacrificed Sibongile’s children for your own gain?”


Nomvula demanded, her voice trembling with rage. Sibusiso lowered his head, his shoulders slumping in defeat.

Sibusiso: “I… I didn’t know it would come to this, The inyanga told me there would be a price, but I didn’t understand what it meant. I didn’t know it would be you, Sibongile. I swear, I didn’t know.”


he admitted, his voice barely above a whisper. The room erupted in chaos. The wives, furious and betrayed, turned on Sibusiso, their voices rising in a cacophony of anger and disbelief.

Thandiwe: “What if those forces had chosen one of us?, we could have been the ones losing our children, suffering like Sibongile!”


one of the wives shouted.

Zanele: “You’ve put us all in danger!,  how could you be so selfish?”


another cried. Nomvula, tears streaming down her face, stepped forward and embraced Sibongile.

Nomvula: “I’m so sorry, I failed you. We all failed you. We should have stood by you, but we were blind to what was happening.”



She whispered. Sibongile accepted the hug, though her heart remained heavy. She had no anger left for the wives they, too, had been victims of Sibusiso’s deceit. But she knew she could no longer stay in this house, in this life.


When the room finally quieted, Sibongile turned to Sibusiso one last time. 

Sibongile: “I don’t hate you, but I can’t forgive you. Not yet. Maybe not ever. What you did… it changed everything. I can’t stay here. I need to leave, to find my own path.”


she said, her voice steady. Sibusiso nodded, his eyes filled with regret.

Sibusiso: “I understand, I don’t expect your forgiveness. I only hope that one day, you can find peace.”

he said quietly. Sibongile turned to the wives, her gaze softening. 

Sibongile: “Take care of yourselves, don’t let his choices define your lives. You deserve better.”


She said. With that, she turned and walked out of the room. MaDlamini, who had been waiting in the hallway, fell into step beside her. Together, they made their way to Sibongile’s room, where her bags were already packed. As Sibongile left the Mthembu household for the last time, she felt a strange sense of relief. The weight of the past had been lifted, though the scars would remain. She knew the road ahead would not be easy, but for the first time in a long time, she felt free. MaDlamini placed a hand on her daughter’s shoulder. 

MaDlamini: “Where will we go?” 

she asked. Sibongile smiled faintly.

Sibongile: “Home,  We’ll go home.”


she said. As they walked away from the mansion, the sun broke through the clouds, casting a warm golden light on the path ahead. Sibongile took a deep breath, feeling the warmth on her skin. The journey to healing would be long, but she was ready to face it one step at a time.










Comments