Chapter 11: Q Squared Mechanics
Narrated by Qondanisa Qwabe
The next day, I officially started working on my cousin's taxis. For me, those vehicles were easy work. I had dealt with more difficult problems back home in KwaMashu. Most of them only needed proper servicing and repairs that other mechanics had failed to diagnose correctly. By lunchtime, I had already fixed three taxis.
The drivers were impressed.
"Hhayi, Qondanisa," one of them said. "Where have you been all these years?"
I laughed.
"In Durban."
Word spread quickly among the taxi drivers. Soon, drivers from other routes were bringing their vehicles to me.
"Where is that guy from KwaMashu?"
"I heard he fixed Mdu's Quantum."
"They say he can hear a problem before opening the engine."
Within weeks, I had more work than I could handle. One evening, Mzo found me sitting outside the hostel.
"What are you thinking about, bafo?" he asked.
I looked at him.
"I need my own workshop."
He smiled.
"I knew you would say that."
"I cannot continue like this. I need space and I have to register my workshop.”
That night while everyone else was sleeping, I sat with my laptop and started registering my business.
I called it Q Squared Mechanics. Q for Qondanisa, Q for Qwabe, Q Squared.
As I completed the registration documents, I smiled to myself.
"Baba," I whispered, "we are doing it."
Even after registering the company, I continued working one taxi at a time. My father had taught me never to sacrifice quality because of pressure. A few weeks later, Mzo introduced me to Mr Naidoo. Mr Naidoo had heard about me through some taxi owners and was willing to rent out one of his properties. He showed me the place. It was not far from the taxi rank, which made it perfect because most of my customers operated nearby. The rent was reasonable, and the workshop itself had plenty of room.
Mr Naidoo folded his arms.
"So, young man, what do you think?"
I smiled.
"I think this place is exactly what I need."
He nodded approvingly.
"Good. Then let's do business."
Because I had saved money over the years and had already completed many jobs in Johannesburg, setting up the workshop was not difficult. I bought hydraulic jacks, compressors, diagnostic machines, tool sets, computers, and office furniture.
Mzo walked in one afternoon and whistled.
"Hawu, bafo. You are not playing."
I laughed.
"I did not come to Johannesburg to play."
Finding employees was easier than I expected. One evening, while we were having supper at the hostel, Dladla spoke up.
"Qondanisa," he said, "I know some mechanics staying in other rooms here at the hostel. Good men. Hard workers. They have experience."
I looked up.
"Really?"
He nodded.
"They are looking for proper jobs. I can call them."
"Please do."
Two days later, Dladla introduced me to three mechanics he knew from the hostel. After speaking to them and seeing their work, I hired them immediately. They were experienced, disciplined, and eager for an opportunity.
Dladla smiled proudly.
"You see, mfowethu, connections are important."
I laughed.
"You have saved me a lot of stress."
He smiled.
"I haven't finished helping you."
The following day, he approached me again.
"My younger sister is looking for work."
"What does she do?" I asked.
"Administration. She knows computers and accounting."
"Tell her to come."
The next morning, I met Thandi. She carried herself professionally and spoke confidently.
"I studied office administration," she explained. "I can manage appointments, payments, and customer records."
I nodded.
"When can you start?"
She smiled.
"Tomorrow."
And just like that, I had found my receptionist. Thandi handled the front desk and managed payments. She organised appointments and kept the books in order better than I could. Soon, we installed a proper payment system. Customers could pay with cash or card. Everything became organised. I also installed security cameras around the workshop.
When Mzo saw them, he burst out laughing.
"Hhayi bo, Qondanisa! Who do you think is going to steal from you?"
I smiled.
"Trust is good, but cameras are better."
Everyone laughed.
Two months after arriving in Johannesburg, Q Squared Mechanics was fully operational. Sometimes I would arrive before everyone else and stand quietly in the workshop. I would look at the lifts, the equipment, the office, and the sign outside that proudly read:
Q SQUARED MECHANICS
One morning, Mzo found me standing there.
"What are you doing, bafo?" he asked.
I smiled.
"Just admiring my achievements."
He nodded.
"Your father would be proud."
I looked around at everything we had built and smiled softly.
"No," I said.
"He is proud."
Comments
Post a Comment