Advertisement

Chapter 1: The Shisanyama Confessions

 




The smoky aroma of flame-grilled meat filled the air as the four women sat at their usual spot at Mzoli’s, their favorite shisanyama in Soweto. The lively chatter of patrons, the clinking of glasses, and the rhythmic beats of amapiano music created the perfect backdrop for their weekly catch-up. Buhle, Lerato, Zee, and Thando had been friends since university, and their shisanyama dates were sacred a time to vent, laugh, and remind each other that they weren’t alone in the chaos of life. Buhle, the ever-elegant lawyer, adjusted her blazer and sighed as she picked at her plate of grilled chicken. 


Buhle: “Guys, I’m tired. Like, really tired. I’m killing it at work, but my love life is a disaster. I’m starting to think I’ll die alone with my cat and my case files.” 


Lerato, the stylish fashion designer, rolled her eyes. 


Lerato: “Please, Bee. You’re not even trying. You’re too busy being a boss lady to notice the men falling at your feet.”


She took a sip of her drink, her face lighting up. 


Lerato:  “Speaking of men, have I told you about Sabelo? This man is everything. He’s handsome, he’s ambitious, and he treats me like a queen. I think he might be the one.”


Zee, the social media queen, nearly choked on her meat.


Zee: “The one? Lerato, you’ve been dating him for what, two months? Slow down, sis. Men like that are usually too good to be true.” 


She wiped her hands and pulled out her phone.




Zee:  “Speaking of terrible men, let me tell you about my date last night. This guy took me to that fancy restaurant in Sandton, right? The one with the R500 steaks? Guess what he ordered. Tap water. Tap. Water. Not even sparkling. Just plain, free tap water. And he had the nerve to ask me to split the bill!”


The table erupted in laughter as Zee dramatically reenacted the scene, her animated storytelling earning a few curious glances from nearby tables.


Zee: “I posted about it online, and you won’t believe it, it’s gone viral! I gained, like, 10,000 followers overnight. People are calling him Tap Water Thabo.”


Thando, the quiet nurse, chuckled softly but quickly grew serious. 


Thando: “At least your date showed up, Zee. I’m over here playing hide and seek with a married man. Mlungisi keeps promising to leave his wife, but every time I bring it up, he changes the subject. I don’t know what I’m doing anymore.”


The table fell silent for a moment, the weight of Thando’s confession hanging in the air. Buhle reached over and squeezed her hand.


Buhle: “Thando, you deserve better. You’re smart, beautiful, and kind. Why are you wasting your time on someone who can’t fully commit to you?”


Thando shrugged, her eyes downcast. 


Thando: “I don’t know. It’s complicated. He says he loves me, and I believe him. But sometimes I wonder if I’m just fooling myself.” 


Lerato leaned in, her voice softening. 


Lerato: “Love shouldn’t be this hard, sis. If he really loves you, he’ll leave his wife. Period.” 


Zee nodded in agreement. 



Zee: “And if he doesn’t, you need to leave him. Life’s too short to be someone’s side chick.”


Buhle raised her glass. 


Buhle: “To better love lives and fewer tap water dates.” 


The women clinked their glasses, their laughter ringing out once again. But beneath the surface, each of them carried their own worries. Buhle’s loneliness, Lerato’s blind faith in Sabelo, Zee’s growing unease about her ex, and Thando’s risky affair all of it simmered beneath the surface, waiting to boil over. As the sun set over Soweto, casting a golden glow over the bustling shisanyama, the four friends made a silent pact to always have each other’s backs, no matter what. Little did they know, their love lives were about to take dramatic turns that would test their friendship and their resilience in ways they never imagined.
















Comments