Chapter 1: Family Pressure Begins
Narrated by Mapaseka
I have learned that family gatherings are never just about food. They are about questions I did not ask for. They hold opinions I did not request. They carry a future I am expected to deliver on time, like a business contract.
"Mapaseka," my mother called as soon as I stepped into the yard. "O kae monna? Where is your man?"
I smiled politely. It was the kind of smile I had perfected over years of boardroom meetings and uncomfortable family events.
"Mme, I don't have a husband or a man in my life," I said.
She clicked her tongue before I even finished speaking.
At your age? Mapaseka, you are not a child anymore," she said.
I took a deep breath. The smell of cooked meat and traditional food filled the air. It did nothing to calm the tightening in my chest.
Inside the house, my aunts were already seated like judges in a courtroom. I could feel their eyes scan me the moment I entered.
"Ah, here she is," one of them said. "The successful one."
They said the word "successful" like it was a curse.
I greeted them respectfully. "Dumelang, bomma," I said.
They responded, but their eyes did not soften.
Soon, the questions started. "So, when are you getting married?" one asked. "And children?" another one said. "You know time is not on your side, Mapaseka," a third one added.
I sat down slowly. I placed my handbag beside me like a shield. I had faced million-rand deals, difficult investors, and boardroom politics. But nothing prepared me for a group of women discussing my womb like it was a community project.
"I am focused on my business right now," I said calmly.
My aunt laughed. "Business does not sleep next to you at night," she said.
That line made everyone laugh. Everyone except me.
I smiled again. But inside, I felt something crack. The truth is, I am not avoiding love. I am avoiding disappointment. I have been there before.
Kabelo. Even his name still feels like a shadow. He was everything they said I should want. He was educated, polished, and charismatic. He was the man everyone in my family approved of. But behind closed doors, he taught me something painful. He taught me that perfect on paper does not mean safe in reality.
"Mapaseka," my mother said again. Her voice was softer this time. "We are not getting younger. You are building a company, yes. But who are you building a life with?"
I looked down at my hands.
A life with someone. The idea sounds simple when people say it slowly. But for me, it feels like walking into fire without knowing if it will warm you or burn you again.
"I am not against marriage," I finally said. “I don’t want to make the same mistake again.”
My cousin whispered something and laughed. I heard it. "Maybe she is too picky," she said.
That word follows me everywhere now. "Too picky." As if wanting peace, loyalty, and honesty is asking for too much.
Later that evening, as the sun started to set, I stepped outside to get some air. The sky over the yard was turning orange. It was soft and beautiful, like it had no idea what pressure lived inside this house.
My mother followed me. She stood beside me quietly for a moment before speaking.
"Mapaseka," she said gently, "I am not your enemy."
"I know, Mme," I said.
She sighed. "We just want you to be happy. We want you to have children. We do not want you to be alone when you are old," she said.
I nodded slowly. "Ke a utlwa, Mme.” I said.
But what I did not say was this: I am already alone, even when I am surrounded by people. No one here understands what it feels like to be successful and still feel incomplete.
As I drove back to my house that night, I kept replaying their words in my head. "Too picky." "Too late." "Too focused on work."
At a red light, I stared at my reflection in the rearview mirror.
"I am not too anything," I whispered to myself. "I am just not willing to settle."
The light turned green. I drove forward into a life that everyone says is full. But sometimes, that life feels empty in the quietest way. But tonight, I only knew one thing. I am Mapaseka Mokoena. And I am not ready to be rushed into love. Not even buy my own family.
Comments
Post a Comment