Advertisement

Chapter 9: The Green Light

 



Two weeks felt like an eternity. Every morning, every afternoon, every evening, my eyes instinctively darted to my phone. Each notification ping made my heart leap, every call felt like it could be the one. And yet… nothing.

Until that moment arrived. The call that could change everything.

Sandile: “Nomusa? It’s the bank!” 

Sandile’s voice came through, tense, excited, vibrating with energy that matched my own heartbeat. I snatched the phone from his hand, barely able to keep my composure.

Nomusa: “Hello?”

I asked, my voice tight, a mix of hope and nerves.

A calm, professional voice greeted me on the other end. 

Bank officer: “Good afternoon, Ms. Nomusa. We’re pleased to inform you that your loan application for Nkosi Construction has been approved. The funds will be transferred within the next few days.”

For a moment, the words didn’t sink in. My chest felt like it was about to burst, my mind spinning. Then reality hit, and I couldn’t contain my excitement any longer. I screamed  a loud, triumphant sound that seemed to shake the walls of our small kitchen.

Nomusa: “Yoh, Sandile! We got it! We actually got it!” 

My hands shook as I held the phone, my eyes brimming with tears of relief and joy.

Sandile’s laughter was immediate, booming, full of relief, disbelief, and uncontainable happiness. 



Sandile: “Aweh, Nomusa! Nkosi Construction is officially rolling! We’re going to make this clinic happen, bru!”

I grabbed his hand, squeezing it so tightly I thought he might feel every ounce of hope and adrenaline coursing through me. My chest soared with possibility, my heart singing with excitement.


Nomusa: “Two weeks of waiting… all worth it. Now it’s time to build, Sandile. Time to show them what we can do,” 

I whispered, my voice trembling with determination.

He pulled me into a quick, celebratory hug, holding me as if he could anchor all my nerves and joy in one embrace. His grin stretched from ear to ear, lighting up his face in a way that made me fall in love with him all over again.

Sandile: “Nomusa… this is just the beginning. Just the beginning, my love,”  

He said softly, resting his forehead against mine.

And in that moment, standing in our modest kitchen, surrounded by the faint scent of brewed coffee and the lingering morning sunlight, I felt the weight of the past lift ever so slightly. Every late night, every setback, every moment of doubt they all converged here. Dreams, hard work, and sheer determination had finally paid off.

Nkosi Construction had the green light. Sandile and I were ready. And I knew, deep in my bones, that together, we could turn this approval into a reality that would change lives.

  

The morning sun poured over the dusty site as Sandile and I stepped out of the truck, plans clutched tightly in our hands, our hearts pounding with anticipation. Nkosi Construction was finally beginning its first major project: the community clinic. I could feel a thrill mix with nerves this was the moment our months of sacrifice, long nights, and relentless dreaming would finally be put to the test.



The first few days were, to put it mildly, a baptism by fire. Materials were delayed without warning, old plumbing lines twisted and corroded in ways I hadn’t anticipated, and some of the local workers struggled with the more technical tasks. I watched Sandile furrow his brow, rubbing his temples and muttering under his breath, the weight of responsibility pressing down on him as heavily as it did on me.


Sandile: “Yoh, Nomusa, this is tougher than I thought. If only we had more hands or better tools…” 

He muttered one afternoon, surveying a wall that had collapsed slightly, frustration etched into every line of his face.

I placed my hand gently on his shoulder, smiling despite the tension.

Nomusa: “Eish, my love… we planned for problems like this. Nkosi Construction doesn’t quit at the first setback. Let’s think about what we can do differently,”

I said, steadying both him and myself.

And so we did. Together, we brainstormed solutions, called in trusted suppliers, and patiently trained the local workers on the trickier tasks. For the plumbing nightmares, we brought in a subcontractor we knew could fix the old pipes efficiently. When deliveries were late, we shuffled the schedule, redirecting the team to other sections, ensuring that progress never stalled completely. Every hiccup became an opportunity to adapt, to grow stronger.

Watching Sandile negotiate with suppliers, explain complex instructions to the workers, and tackle each unforeseen challenge reminded me, yet again, why I had fallen for him. His stubbornness, determination, and unwavering resourcefulness were magnetic inspiring in ways words could barely capture. I felt proud and humbled to be his partner, to share in this journey, brick by brick, problem by problem.

By the end of the first week, the foundation work was solid, the walls were rising, and even the local community had begun to take notice. I saw nods of approval, smiles, and whispered encouragement from people who had watched us struggle, now watching us succeed.

Sandile wiped the sweat from his brow, turning to me with that wide, triumphant grin that could lift my spirits even on the heaviest days.

Sandile: “Nomusa… we might actually pull this off. I can feel it,” 


He said, voice tinged with relief and excitement.

I mirrored his smile, my chest swelling with pride and affection. 

Nomusa: “Of course, my love. Nkosi Construction doesn’t do ‘give up.’ We find solutions, remember?”

As the sun dipped low in the sky, casting long shadows over the half-built structure, we packed up for the day. I paused for a moment, taking in the empty site bathed in warm sunset light. Dust clung to my skin, my hands a little sore, but my heart was light. Challenges would come. Obstacles would rise. But standing here, side by side with Sandile, I knew Nkosi Construction was proving, one brick at a time, that even the toughest projects could be conquered with perseverance, vision, and unwavering teamwork. And in that quiet moment, I allowed myself a small, private smile: this was only the beginning.





Comments