Advertisement

Chapter 8: The Big Break

 



The email notification blinked on my phone, and my heart stopped for a second. I opened it, eyes scanning the words, hardly daring to believe what I was seeing.

Nomusa: “We won it.”

I blinked, then laughed, a high, excited sound that echoed through my small kitchen. Sandile was there instantly, peering over my shoulder.

Sandile: “Wait… what?” 

He asked, and then his eyes widened as he read the same words.

I threw the phone at him playfully. 

Nomusa: “We did it, bru! Nkosi Construction… we actually did it!”

He caught me mid-gesture, spinning me around in a hug so tight I could barely breathe. Then he lifted me off the ground, twirling me once before setting me down again.

Sandile: “Yoh, Nomusa! We did it! WE DID IT!”

I laughed, clinging to him, our excitement mingling with relief, pride, and something deeper. All those long nights, the worry, the planning… it had paid off.

He pulled back just slightly, looking at me with that mischievous grin I loved. 

Sandile: “This calls for a proper celebration… but first…” 

His eyes softened, and suddenly the teasing sparkle in them disappeared.

Sandile reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box. My stomach did a backflip.


Sandile: “Nomusa, I’ve been waiting for the right time, and I think tonight is it. You’ve been my partner in everything in work, in dreams, in life… Will you marry me?”


He said, voice low, serious… full of emotion.

Time seemed to freeze. I stared at him, the box, the ring glinting under the kitchen light, my heart hammering so loud I was sure he could hear it.

Nomusa: “Sandile… yoh…”

I laughed, tears prickling my eyes.

Nomusa: “Yes! Yes, my love! Of course I’ll marry you!”

He scooped me up again, spinning me like a kite in the wind, laughing, shouting.

Sandile:  “We did it! WE DID IT!”

I laughed too, my arms wrapped around him. Nkosi Construction, the tender, the nights of stress and hope… it all felt worth it. Because tonight, under our own small roof, with dreams coming true and love stronger than ever, we celebrated not just a business win, but the start of our life together.

And as Sandile kissed me, I realised we weren’t just building structures. We were building a future, brick by brick, together.


The morning sun streamed through my kitchen window as Sandile and I prepared for one of the most nerve-wracking steps in our journey: applying for a loan to start the clinic project. Nkosi Construction had won the tender, yes, but dreams didn’t pay for bricks, cement, and salaries.

I clutched our business plan tightly in my hands, making sure every page was neat and clear. Sandile was pacing behind me, muttering numbers under his breath.


Sandile: “Nomusa… I hope they see what we see. If they understand the tender, the project, the potential…”

He trailed off, rubbing his forehead.

I laughed softly, nudging him.

Nomusa: “Bru, relax. We’ve done everything right. We’ve got a solid plan, experience, and drive. Now we just need them to believe in Nkosi Construction like we do.”

We stepped into the bank, the polished floors reflecting our nerves back at us. The loan officer greeted us politely, and we sat down, sliding the business plan across the desk.

I took a deep breath.

Nomusa: “This is for a community clinic renovation. We’ve already won the tender, and with your support, we can execute the project on time and on budget.”

Sandile chimed in, his voice confident despite the tight knot of anxiety in his stomach.

Sandile: “We’re ready to start immediately. All we need is the initial capital to cover materials and labor. Progress payments from the tender will ensure repayment.”


The officer nodded, flipping through our plan. I watched Sandile quietly, noticing how focused and determined he looked a side I loved seeing.

Bank officer: “Everything seems in order”

The officer said after a pause. 

Bank officer: “I’ll need a few documents, and we’ll process your application. Given that you already have a tender, I’m optimistic.”

Sandile’s grin broke across his face. 

Sandile: “Aweh, Nomusa! Did you hear that?”

I smiled, trying to keep my excitement under control.

Nomusa: “Yoh, bru… slow down. We’re not celebrating yet. But… it’s a good start.”

As we left the bank, walking side by side under the morning sun, I felt a sense of partnership stronger than ever. Nkosi Construction was about to become more than a dream it was becoming real, brick by brick, step by step. And together, Sandile and I were ready to build it.






















Comments