Advertisement

Chapter 6: The Tender Dream

 



I was sitting at my kitchen table, sipping a cup of rooibos, scrolling through the local government website like I do every morning. My laptop flickered with updates, notices, and announcements. That’s when I saw it  a tender notice for a local community clinic.

My heart skipped a beat. The clinic was overdue for renovations, and the project could really put us on the map. I could already picture it: a successful bid, a reputation boost, and the chance to prove that Nkosi Construction wasn’t just another name in the market.

I immediately grabbed my phone and called Sandile.

Nomusa: “Yoh, Sandile, you got a minute?” I asked, trying to keep my voice steady despite the excitement.

Sandile: “Hey, Nomusa. What’s up?” 

He replied from his home, his tone casual but curious.

Nomusa: “I found a tender, my love. A community clinic renovations, construction, everything. We should go for it”

 I said, trying to keep the excitement in check.

Sandile was quiet for a moment, then chuckled.

Sandile: “A community clinic, huh? That’s ambitious, hey. You really think we can pull it off?”

I leaned back in my chair, spreading my hands.

Nomusa: “Love, we have to try. Nkosi Construction is new, yes, but we’ve got brains, skills, and vision. If we sit back thinking it’s too much, nothing will ever happen.”

He sighed.



Sandile: “You always make me feel like anything is possible, Nomusa. Alright… let’s do it. What’s the plan?”

I smiled, excitement bubbling. 

Nomusa: “First, I’m gonna draft the application, check the requirements, and get all the documents ready. Then we’ll discuss the budget, materials, and timeline. I’ll handle the registration side; you handle the construction details. Teamwork, my love.”

Sandile laughed, his voice warm over the phone. 

Sandile: “Good, I like it. Nkosi Construction taking over the world, one tender at a time.”

I grinned, imagining him pacing in his living room, already thinking about plans and measurements. 

Nomusa: “Exactly, my love. One tender at a time. But this one? This one’s our shot to prove we’re serious.”

I hung up, heart racing. The dream was there tangible, real. And for the first time in a while, I felt that surge of hope that comes with chasing something bigger than yourself. Nkosi Construction had its first real challenge, and I was ready to lead the way.


The clock had long since passed midnight, but the glow of my laptop and the scattered papers around the dining table kept the room alive. Sandile sat across from me, brow furrowed, sketching timelines and jotting down notes.

Sandile: “ Nomusa, I think this section needs more detail”

 He said, pointing at the budget breakdown.

I leaned over, reading his notes, my elbow brushing against his. I felt a small jolt maybe just lack of sleep, maybe something else. 


Nomusa: “You’re right, my love. Let’s flesh it out. We need them to see we know what we’re doing.”

Hours slipped by as we worked side by side, editing sentences, double-checking figures, and refining our language. Sometimes our hands collided reaching for the same pen, and we’d laugh softly, the tension between us lingering like electricity in the air.

Nomusa: “Hey, Sandile, this paragraph here it could use a little punch. You know, make them feel we’re the team they need” 

I suggested, eyes scanning the screen.

He leaned in, his face close enough that I caught the faint scent of his cologne.

Sandile: “Aight, Nomusa… punch it is. You always know what to say” 

He murmured, a small grin tugging at his lips.

We kept working, trading ideas and critiques, our focus absolute but punctuated by soft laughter and the occasional glance that lasted a little too long. The proposal grew under our hands, polished and precise, every detail carefully considered.

By the time the first light of dawn crept through the curtains, we leaned back in our chairs, exhausted but satisfied. The proposal was ready a testament to our teamwork, our dedication, and, if I’m honest, the unspoken connection threading between us.

As Sandile stretched and yawned, I smiled to myself, knowing that this all-nighter wasn’t just about the tender. It was about the rhythm we had when we worked together, the chemistry that made even the hardest tasks feel… a little lighter.





Comments