Advertisement

Chapter 57: Reclaiming the Throne

 



The familiar scent of polished wood and leather greeted me as I stepped into the Nkosi Construction headquarters. The boardroom, once a place of tension and whispered exclusions, now felt like mine. Every detail, from the gleaming floors to the meticulously arranged files, reminded me of the empire I had built and that I had just legally reclaimed.

Sandile looked up from his desk, his posture stiff, his usual confident smile nowhere in sight. Lerato hovered near the corner, trying to mask unease with forced professionalism.

Nomusa (calm, firm): “Good morning, gentlemen… and Ms. Lerato.”

Lerato’s eyes flicked nervously to Sandile, as if seeking reassurance. There was none to be had.

Nomusa: “I trust you both understand the recent ruling of the court. Nkosi Construction is now under my majority ownership. I hold 65 percent of the shares. Sandile, 35 percent remains yours. Let me be very clear: this company will operate under my oversight, and decisions regarding projects, tenders, and operational direction are now my responsibility.”

Sandile opened his mouth, perhaps to argue, but I raised a hand.

Nomusa: “Save it. The court has spoken, the evidence was clear, and the company’s board will now report to me. I suggest you accept this professionally, for the sake of Nkosi Construction and your own credibility.”

Lerato shifted uncomfortably.


Nomusa (turning to the team): “I want a full report on all ongoing projects by the end of the day. North Ridge, especially I want details on every adjustment, every subcontractor, every risk point. If we are to move forward, this company must operate as it was built to: efficiently, safely, and with respect for the expertise that makes us leaders in construction.”

Bongani, the CFO, nodded silently, relieved to see a leader who commanded authority without arrogance.

Nomusa (softly, to the team): “I’m back not to punish, but to ensure we never reach the brink of disaster again. Mistakes are costly. Lives and investments are at stake. From now on, every decision is accountable. Every project has a guardian. That guardian… is me.”

Sandile finally spoke, his voice quieter than usual:

Sandile: “Nomusa… I… understand. We’ll follow your lead.”

I met his gaze, steady, unwavering.

Nomusa: “Good. Because from this moment forward, Nkosi Construction will thrive not on charm, not on appearances, but on expertise, experience, and dedication. Remember that.”

As I walked toward my office, the weight of the past months lifted slightly. I had been pushed out, humiliated, and underestimated but I was back. And this time, the company would run the way it was always meant to: with me at the helm, commanding respect, authority, and vision.

Nomusa (thinking): They thought they could erase me, bend me, or sideline me. But Nkosi Construction is mine again. And nothing no charm, no deceit, no arrogance will ever threaten it while I stand.

The office buzzed with a renewed sense of order and purpose. For the first time in months, I felt like I truly belonged here not as an employee, not as a sidelined founder, but as the rightful leader of my empire.



The first person I had to deal with was Lerato. She was still confident, still smirking as though the office belonged to her. But I had a surprise waiting.

Nomusa (calling her into my office): “Lerato, have a seat.”

She sat, tilting her head, her smile still polished, her nails tapping lightly against the desk.

I placed a copy of the employee handbook on the desk, opened to a highlighted clause.

Nomusa: “Do you remember this clause, Lerato? The one about company executives and dating? That was created while you were still new here. You signed it.”

Her eyes flicked to the paper, confusion spreading.

Lerato: “I… yes. But”

Nomusa: “It states clearly that relationships between employees and executives that could create conflicts of interest are not permitted. You and Sandile have been seen crossing that line repeatedly. It’s a direct violation of company policy.”

Her confidence faltered, her smirk vanishing.

Nomusa: “I value integrity here. I value the vision I built this company with. You’ve undermined that. Given the circumstances, the board has no choice but to accept your resignation.”

She opened her mouth, then closed it, realising the fight was over before it had begun.

Lerato (quietly): “I… resign.”

I handed her the necessary forms. She left, head held high but defeated. And just like that, the air felt lighter, cleaner, free of manipulation and deceit.

Walking back through the office, employees greeted me with subtle nods and quiet respect. I had returned, not to reclaim what I had lost in anger, but to rebuild with purpose, to protect the company I had created, and to lead without compromise.

Nomusa (thinking): This is only the beginning. Nkosi Construction will thrive again, and so will I. Stronger. Smarter. In control.

And for the first time in a long while, I felt a full, unshakable sense of power not the ego-driven power Sandile had wielded, but the kind that comes from vision, resilience, and knowing exactly who you are.















Comments