Chapter 53: The Courtroom Chess Match
The courtroom was colder than I expected, not in temperature, but in the way the walls seemed to swallow emotion. I sat at the plaintiff’s table beside Ms. Dlamini, her files neatly stacked, her eyes calm and sharp. Across from us, Sandile leaned back in his chair, the picture of arrogance, his lawyer Mr. Ntuli whispering in his ear like a general preparing for war.
The judge entered, and all rose. My pulse hammered in my chest, but I held my head high. This was the battlefield now, and every word would count.
Judge: “We are here to begin preliminary hearings in the matter of Nkosi vs. Nkosi. Counsel, you may proceed.”
Mr. Ntuli rose first. His voice was smooth, commanding, but laced with disdain.
Mr. Ntuli: “Your Honour, the defense moves to dismiss certain claims brought forward by Mrs. Nkosi. While we acknowledge the emotional strain she has endured, the assertion that she is entitled to equal recognition in Nkosi Construction is… exaggerated. She has no formal qualifications, no contractual ownership on record, and, at best, played a supportive role. The company is my client’s legal entity, built under his name, his risk, and his leadership.”
I felt my fists clench under the table. Supportive role? My sweat, my blood, my endless nights reduced to “support.”
But Ms. Dlamini didn’t flinch. She stood slowly, adjusting her coat with deliberate calm, and faced the judge.
Ms. Dlamini: “Your Honour, the defense would have this court believe that Mrs. Nkosi was a mere bystander in the creation of Nkosi Construction. We intend to present financial records, correspondences, and witness testimony showing her active role in tender acquisitions, contract negotiations, and operational oversight. She was, in fact, co-architect of the empire. The absence of her name on paper does not erase years of verifiable contribution.”
Her voice was steady, her words like a blade honed for this very strike.
Mr. Ntuli smirked and leaned forward.
Mr. Ntuli: “With all due respect, Your Honour, contributions without formal documentation are nothing more than stories. My client is not on trial for appreciating his wife’s presence. Business law recognises signatures, contracts, and qualifications not sentiment.”
Sandile smirked beside him, and for a moment, I could feel the same old dismissal the one he used at home, in boardrooms, everywhere he believed I was small.
But Ms. Dlamini was already on her feet again.
Ms. Dlamini: “Stories, Mr. Ntuli? Then allow me to remind this court that we also have evidence of Mr. Nkosi’s personal misconduct. Photos, messages, and reports evidence that speaks not only to his infidelity, but to his use of company resources to further that relationship. That is not sentiment. That is corporate misconduct, and it ties directly into Nkosi Construction’s governance.”
The courtroom shifted. Sandile’s smirk faltered, just slightly, and Ntuli’s jaw tightened.
Judge: “Proceed carefully, counsel. If you intend to submit such evidence, it will be subject to full review.”
Ms. Dlamini (calmly): “Of course, Your Honour. We will demonstrate that Mrs. Nkosi is not only entitled to recognition for her role in the company, but also entitled to protection from the misuse of marital and corporate assets by Mr. Nkosi.”
She sat down beside me, her calm presence a wall of strength. My heartbeat steadied. For the first time in months, I didn’t feel like I was fighting alone.
I glanced at Sandile. His eyes burned with quiet fury, but beneath it, I saw something new doubt. And in that moment, I knew: this was no longer his boardroom. It was mine.
Comments
Post a Comment