Advertisement

Chapter 52: The Counterstrike

 



The response from Sandile’s camp arrived sooner than expected. A thick envelope sat on Ms. Dlamini’s desk, stamped with the bold insignia of Ntuli & Partners Attorneys. I sat across from her as she slit it open, her eyes scanning the pages with clinical precision.

Her brows lifted slightly, then furrowed. She exhaled slowly, placing the papers flat between us.

Ms. Dlamini: “As expected, Mr. Ntuli is playing aggressively. He’s challenging your role in Nkosi Construction, downplaying your contributions, and (she tapped the page) he’s framing you as emotionally unstable, suggesting bitterness is driving this claim.”

I felt my jaw tighten, anger rising hot in my chest.

Nomusa: “Unstable? Bitter? After everything I’ve built? After the sacrifices, the nights I stayed awake drafting tenders while Sandile slept?”

Ms. Dlamini (calmly): “This is classic Ntuli. Discredit the opponent, shake their confidence, muddy the waters. It’s meant to provoke you into mistakes. But we won’t give him that satisfaction.”

Her composure steadied me, but fury still burned in my veins.

Nomusa: “So he wants war. Fine. What do we do?”

Ms. Dlamini leaned back in her chair, fingertips pressed together in thought.

Ms. Dlamini: “We respond with facts. Documented evidence of your leadership role in Nkosi Construction emails, contracts, staff testimonies. We counter his narrative with truth, nothing more. And as for the infidelity (her voice hardened) we introduce it at the right moment, not now. Ntuli thrives on confrontation. We’ll give him silence, preparation, and precision.”

I swallowed, letting the words sink in. Silence as a weapon. Patience as a blade.

Nomusa: “You think we can beat him?”

Ms. Dlamini smiled faintly, her eyes gleaming with quiet confidence.

Ms. Dlamini: “Ntuli is formidable, yes. But men like him and men like Sandile always underestimate women like us. They expect emotion, but we’ll give them strategy. They expect reaction, but we’ll deliver timing. They’re already swinging blindly; that tells me they’re afraid.”

Her words settled deep inside me, quelling the storm in my chest. For the first time since seeing Ntuli’s counter, I didn’t feel cornered. I felt sharpened.

I nodded slowly, resolve replacing the sting of insult.

Nomusa: “Then let’s sharpen the knife. If they want to paint me as unstable, let them. I’ll prove, step by step, that I am the foundation of Nkosi Construction. And foundations don’t crack under pressure.”

Ms. Dlamini’s lips curved into a steady smile as she closed the file.

Ms. Dlamini: “Exactly. Let Mr. Ntuli roar. We’ll be the silence that makes him uneasy. And when the time is right, we’ll strike clean and decisive.”

In that office, surrounded by files and the hum of quiet determination, I felt the war shift again. Sandile had his lawyer. But I had something stronger: the truth, and a strategist who refused to bow.

Nomusa (thinking): He thinks he’s holding the sword. But he doesn’t see I’ve already built the battlefield.

                 

                                                                 



Comments