Chapter 49: Planning the Legal Move
Sitting in Ms. Dlamini’s office, I felt a mix of tension and resolve. The room was quiet, the soft hum of the air conditioner filling the silence between us. The evidence from the private investigator lay in neat files before us, stacked with precision. Photos. Messages. A detailed report of Sandile and Lerato’s interactions. Every page felt heavier than paper it was proof, but it was also something more. It was leverage. A weapon carefully collected to reclaim what was mine.
Ms. Dlamini leaned forward, her sharp eyes scanning me, her voice calm but firm.
Ms. Dlamini: “Nomusa, you’ve done exceptionally well gathering this. Now, the next step is strategy. We need to approach this carefully divorce proceedings, asset division, and the company. You have a strong case.”
Her words steadied me, but my voice betrayed the weight of my fears.
Nomusa: “I just… I don’t want him to manipulate the narrative, Ms. Dlamini. He’s skilled at charm, at making people see things his way.”
I knew Sandile too well. He had a way of twisting truths, of standing in a room and convincing everyone he was the victim while quietly orchestrating the downfall of others.
Ms. Dlamini nodded knowingly, her pen tapping softly against the file as if punctuating her resolve.
Ms. Dlamini: “Exactly why we need to be methodical. First, we’ll file for divorce citing irreconcilable differences, backed by infidelity evidence. Second, we ensure your stake in Nkosi Construction is recognised legally. You built that company. We will make sure the courts see that.”
Her tone was matter-of-fact, but it carried a power that settled deep inside me. I swallowed hard, letting her words sink in. After months of humiliation, being sidelined, and feeling invisible in the boardroom I had once dominated, this was the first time I felt some control returning.
Nomusa: “And… Lerato? This evidence… it will be used strategically?”
I hated saying her name, hated giving her that space even in conversation, but the truth was unavoidable.
Ms. Dlamini: “Precisely. It’s not just about personal vindication; it strengthens your position in negotiations and court. Sandile underestimated you once he won’t be able to hide behind appearances now.”
Her calm certainty was like a shield, wrapping around me in a moment where doubt threatened to creep in. I leaned back in my chair, exhaling slowly, my hands resting on my lap.
Nomusa: “I want this done properly. I want him to see that actions have consequences, but I don’t want to stoop to pettiness. I want what’s mine… what I worked for. Nothing more, nothing less.”
Ms. Dlamini’s smile was steady, professional, but not cold. It carried reassurance, as though she had fought battles like this before and won.
Ms. Dlamini: “And that’s exactly how we’ll proceed. Step by step, evidence by evidence, claim by claim. We’ll prepare, anticipate his tactics, and make sure your rights and your contributions are undeniable.”
Her words wrapped around me like a promise. For the first time in months, I felt a flicker of hope, small but alive, tempered by the gravity of what lay ahead. I knew the path would not be easy. Sandile was clever, arrogant, and used to getting his way. But I had something he had underestimated: the truth, careful planning, and an unwavering determination to reclaim my life and my company.
I let my eyes fall to the files once more, staring at the images that had once torn me apart but now gave me strength. Proof. Leverage. Power.
For the first time in months, I felt like Nomusa again not just a mother, not just a displaced wife, but a woman ready to fight for everything she had built.
Nomusa (thinking): Sandile may have thought he erased me. But the game has changed, and I’m holding the board now.
Comments
Post a Comment