Advertisement

Chapter 48: The Investigator Reports

 



The waiting was almost unbearable. Each day that passed, I felt the weight of my powerless position pressing down, reminding me of what I had lost. The silence was heavy, almost suffocating, a constant reminder that Sandile was moving on without me living boldly, recklessly, while I had been forced into the shadows.

But today, finally, there was movement. My phone buzzed, and when I saw the number flash across the screen, my heart skipped. The private investigator. My pulse quickened as I answered.

Investigator (on phone): “Mrs. Nkosi, I have a preliminary report for you. I’ve gathered photos, messages, and a few encounters that confirm what you suspected. The details are… undeniable.”

For a moment, I couldn’t speak. My throat tightened, and my hand trembled slightly against the phone. This was the moment I had both dreaded and longed for. Proof. Real, solid proof.

Nomusa: “Send it over. Immediately. I need to see it myself.”

Within minutes, files landed in my inbox. My fingers hovered over the trackpad, hesitant, as though opening them would make the betrayal even more permanent. Then I forced myself to click.

The first photo appeared on the screen, and I froze. My chest constricted, heat rising into my face. Sandile and Lerato together. Too close. Smiles that didn’t belong in a workplace, touches that carried an intimacy I knew all too well. These weren’t gestures of colleagues; they were the signs of a man betraying his vows and a woman who knew exactly what she was doing.

I clicked through the evidence slowly, each image, each captured moment cutting deeper. And then the messages. Words that turned whispers into screams of truth. Late-night texts. Plans to meet secretly. Careless flattery that slid into open affection.

I whispered into the empty room, my own voice cracking under the weight of it.

Nomusa (whispering): “So it’s true. Every whisper, every rumour… every instinct I had was right.”

The anger surged, sharp and hot, but beneath it was something else a grim sort of vindication. I had not been paranoid. I had not been imagining shadows where there were none. The betrayal was real, and now I had it in my hands.

I dialled Thabiso without hesitation. The moment his voice came through, the words tumbled out of me.

Nomusa: “Thabiso… it’s real. Sandile and Lerato… it’s all here. Photos, messages… proof.”

Thabiso: “I knew it. You did the right thing, Nomusa. Now we have leverage not just for the divorce, but for Nkosi Construction. How are you holding up?”

His concern steadied me, but my voice shook with the mix of emotions swirling inside.

Nomusa: “I’m… angry. Hurt. But mostly, I feel a strange sort of clarity. I’ve been pushed out, humiliated, erased… but now I can fight back, and I will.”

Thabiso: “Exactly. And Ms. Dlamini will use this. This is what can turn the tide in your favour. You’re no longer powerless.”

I leaned back in my chair, the glow of the computer screen illuminating the evidence laid bare before me. My fingers traced over the edge of the desk, grounding myself as I let the images sink in. Every photo, every message, was a weapon. Not just against Sandile’s arrogance, but against the injustice I had endured.

I inhaled slowly, deeply, letting the air fill the spaces where despair had once lived. Sandile thought he could control the narrative. He thought his money and his charm could erase me, silence me, and make me disappear. He thought betrayal could be hidden behind closed doors and empty promises.

But he was wrong. I had the truth now. And truth, when wielded with strategy, is unstoppable. For the first time since being forced out of Nkosi Construction, I felt a spark of triumph burn within me. It was small, but it was fierce an ember waiting to grow into fire. The path ahead was still treacherous, tangled with emotions, legal battles, and the ghosts of betrayal, but I was ready. This was my empire. My fight. And I would not lose it.







Comments