Advertisement

Chapter 47: Private Investigation

 



Being pushed out of Nkosi Construction didn’t just hurt my pride it left me powerless in the company I had built with my own hands. Every boardroom decision, every tender won, every strategy I had crafted was now controlled by Sandile and his new inner circle. After my meeting with Ms. Dlamini, things became painfully clear: if I wanted justice, if I wanted leverage strong enough to reclaim my empire I needed evidence. Concrete, undeniable evidence. Rumours and whispers weren’t weapons; they were smoke, easily blown away.

That night, I paced the quiet living room, my phone heavy in my hand, my reflection shifting in the darkened window. My thoughts circled restlessly.

Nomusa (thinking): “If I want to prove infidelity, I can’t rely on office gossip. I need someone who sees what I can’t. Someone discreet. Someone who won’t flinch when the truth shows itself.”

Later that afternoon, I made the call. Thabiso had given me the name a private investigator with a reputation for results, for silence, for precision. The line clicked, a calm professional voice cutting through the static.

Investigator (on phone): “Mrs. Nkosi, I understand your situation. Tell me what you need, and I’ll handle it professionally.”

For a moment, I hesitated. Speaking the words out loud made everything real. My chest tightened, but I forced myself to continue.


Nomusa: “I need proof. Solid proof. Sandile… he’s being unfaithful. I suspect it’s with Lerato, his PR manager. I need everything photos, messages, anything that confirms it.”


There was no pause on his end, no surprise just quiet, steady assurance.

Investigator: “Understood. I’ll follow him, observe, and report back with documented evidence. Discretion guaranteed. When do you want us to start?”

My fingers dug into the phone. I didn’t allow myself to hesitate.

Nomusa: “As soon as possible. Every day counts.”

The call ended, leaving silence in its wake, but inside me something had shifted. I felt a strange mixture of relief and anticipation, the kind that comes when you finally decide to fight back. For the first time since being exiled from my own company, I felt the beginnings of control return. I wasn’t waiting for Sandile to slip up; I was setting the trap myself.

That evening, as the sun dipped below the horizon, I confided in Thabiso over our video call. His familiar face steadied me.

Thabiso: “You’re doing the right thing, Nomusa. Evidence is power. Once you have it, you can approach the divorce and the company strategically.”

His words rang with certainty, but my own voice trembled before it steadied.

Nomusa: “I know. It feels… strange, though. Like I’m stepping into a world I never wanted to be part of. But I can’t ignore it. I have to protect myself, my children… and Nkosi Construction.”

Thabiso’s features softened, his eyes filled with the kind of reassurance I hadn’t felt in months.


Thabiso (smiling softly): “You’re not stepping alone. I’m here. And soon, Sandile will see that underestimating you was his biggest mistake.”

When the call ended, the quiet house pressed in around me, but it no longer felt suffocating. The silence hummed with purpose. For the first time in months, the air itself felt charged, alive, as though it too was waiting for what came next.

I may have been pushed out of Nkosi Construction, but I was far from defeated. Sandile thought he had silenced me. He thought I would shrink, that I would watch silently while he stole my empire. But he was wrong. He underestimated me.


Comments