Chapter 45: The Lonely House
The house was quiet in a way that used to feel peaceful, but now it pressed in on me, a reminder of just how isolated I had become. The walls held only the echoes of my own thoughts, and some nights I found myself talking to the shadows, wishing for a voice that wasn’t mine.
One evening, after tucking the kids into bed and pouring myself a cup of tea, I found myself scrolling through my phone, idly swiping through a dating app. For fun, I told myself. Just a distraction from the stillness.
I created a profile, added a few photos, wrote a lighthearted bio, and waited. Within minutes, a match popped up Thabiso. Cute, funny, with a smile that seemed to leap off the screen.
Thabiso (chat message): “Hey Nomusa, love your profile. I have to know… do you really binge-watch detective shows every weekend?”
I chuckled, typing back.
Nomusa: “Guilty as charged. And you? Are you secretly a karaoke champion or just naturally charming?”
Thabiso: “Maybe a little of both… but I warn you, I take my audience very seriously.”
We laughed through text for hours, sharing stories, jokes, and little confessions that we wouldn’t dare say aloud to anyone else. The night stretched on, and for the first time in weeks, the house didn’t feel so empty.
Nomusa (thinking): This is just fun. Just a distraction. Nothing serious…
But as the messages flew back and forth, I felt something I hadn’t in a long time a spark of genuine connection.
Thabiso: “I feel like I could talk to you forever, Nomusa. Do you feel the same?”
I paused, my fingers hovering over the keyboard. My heart thumped, an unfamiliar warmth spreading through my chest.
Nomusa: “Honestly… yeah. I’ve been surprised by how easy it is to talk to you. It’s like… I don’t have to hide behind anything.”
Thabiso: “Exactly. No pretences. Just us, chatting through the night.”
We stayed up until the early hours, our conversation weaving through silly jokes, dreams, past heartbreaks, and hopes for the future. By the time I put my phone down, the sun was peeking over the horizon, and the loneliness that had haunted me for so long felt a little less heavy.
I came here for distraction. For fun. But maybe, just maybe… I’ve found someone worth remembering.
I hadn’t planned to tell Thabiso everything not the betrayal, not the humiliation, not the empire that had been ripped from my hands. But as our conversations deepened, as laughter and vulnerability softened the edges of my loneliness, I realised that honesty was the only way forward.
One evening, as the kids slept and the quiet wrapped around the house, I typed nervously, fingers hovering over the keyboard.
Nomusa: “Thabiso… there’s something you need to know. I… I’m married. Legally. But it’s complicated. Really complicated.”
There was a pause that felt endless, then his reply came:
Thabiso: “Nomusa… thank you for telling me. I need to know the truth. You can tell me everything, I promise I’m listening.”
I took a deep breath, letting the words spill out, faster than I expected.
Nomusa: “It’s Sandile… my husband. He built this empire with me or rather, I built it with him and then… he pushed me out. Publicly humiliated me in front of the board. Took control of everything. I’m left with nothing but a ‘generous allowance’ and the weight of what I’ve lost. He’s… he’s destroyed what I worked for, and I can’t let it stand.”
Thabiso: “Nomusa… I can’t imagine what that feels like. But you’re strong, and you deserve justice. You deserve to reclaim what’s yours.”
I hesitated, then added the part that had been haunting me:
Nomusa: “I’ve thought about divorce, but… I don’t even know where to start. I need someone who understands, someone I can trust to fight for what I built.”
There was silence for a moment, then his words came firm, steady, and reassuring:
Thabiso: “Then file for it. Don’t let fear or pride hold you back. You built Nkosi Construction every contract, every strategy, every brick this is yours. And I can help. I have contacts at my firm… a good lawyer, someone who knows how to handle cases like yours. You won’t have to face this alone.”
I felt a lump in my throat, a mix of relief, fear, and hope.
Nomusa: “You… you’d help me? Even after everything? Even knowing what a mess this is?”
Thabiso: “I’m here, Nomusa. You don’t have to carry it all alone. And you deserve more than just to survive you deserve to reclaim your life, your work, your future.”
For the first time in months, I felt a spark of certainty. The road ahead was scary, tangled with legal battles and the remnants of a marriage that had betrayed me. But for the first time, I also felt a sense of empowerment.
I am not powerless. I am not erased. Nkosi Construction is mine, and so is my life. And with Thabiso’s support, I finally believed that justice and perhaps a new beginning was possible.
Comments
Post a Comment