Advertisement

Chapter 44: Motherhood Alone

 




The house felt emptier now, quieter, but in a way that allowed me to hear the rhythm of my children’s lives the small joys, the laughter echoing softly against the walls, the groans and sighs over homework struggles, the whispered bedtime stories that always ended too soon. After the storm of betrayal and exile from the company, I realised that my world could not be measured by spreadsheets or boardroom decisions alone. My children were my foundation now, my anchor in a sea of uncertainty, and I would pour every ounce of my energy into them.

That evening, I found them at the kitchen table, sprawled over books, coloured pencils scattered like confetti.

Nomusa: “Langa, Nomalanga… have you finished your math homework yet?”

Langa  (groaning): “It’s so long, Mom! Why does math have to be so hard?”

I laughed softly, ruffling his hair, feeling the warmth of normalcy that I had been craving.

Nomusa: “Because it teaches you patience and problem-solving. Just like life. Remember, every problem has a solution, you just have to look for it.”

He rolled his eyes, but I could see the faint smile tugging at his lips. Kwezi, quietly working on her drawing, glanced up at me, her eyes bright with curiosity and trust.

Kwezi: “Mom, can you help me with my story? I don’t know how to start.”

I knelt beside her, examining the half-finished tale with care, imagining the worlds she wanted to build with her words.

Nomusa: “Start with what excites you the most. What do you want people to feel when they read it?”


Her smile widened, her little fingers gripping the pencil tighter, determination sparkling in her eyes.

Kwezi: “I want them to feel brave.”

I felt a swell of pride, my heart warming despite the shadows of the day, the heaviness of my own exile, and the sting of betrayal still lingering in the corners of my mind.

Nomusa: “Then that’s where you begin. Brave girls make brave choices, just like you are doing now.”

Later, I tucked them into bed, brushing stray hairs from their foreheads, listening to the soft rhythm of their breathing, the gentle rise and fall that reminded me of what mattered most. For the first time in weeks, I allowed myself a moment of peace, a pause from the storm that had overtaken my life. I whispered into the darkness, a quiet vow that only I could hear:

This is my life now. I may have been pushed out of one world, but I have another one I cannot lose. One I will nurture, protect, and grow. Even as the night closed in, blanketing the house in stillness, I felt a spark of determination rekindling deep inside me. A tiny flame that refused to be extinguished by Sandile, by betrayal, by circumstance. One day, I would rise again not just for me, but for the legacy I was building with my children at my side, a legacy no one could take away.




Comments